HELP! I Think I'm Screwed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmmm!

While sitting here thinking about my mixer in the repair shop, I was wondering if I could do something to prevent a recurrence of the problem.

I thought I may have been using too big a recipe and causing undo strain on the gears. I started to reread the manual. The bread making section suggests no more than 10 cups of AP flour or 8 cups of whole wheat flour for a 5-quart mixer. I use 1100 grams of bread flour (just a hair over 9 cups). So it looks like I am in the ball park for quantity.

However, I also came across the following statement: "Do not exceed speed 2 when preparing yeast doughs as this may cause damage to the stand mixer."

Oooops! I always make my bagel dough at speed 4.

Do any of you observe these limitations (or equivalent for your mixer?) when making yeast dough products?

Andy M. said:
While sitting here thinking about my mixer in the repair shop, I was wondering if I could do something to prevent a recurrence of the problem.

I thought I may have been using too big a recipe and causing undo strain on the gears. I started to reread the manual. The bread making section suggests no more than 10 cups of AP flour or 8 cups of whole wheat flour for a 5-quart mixer. I use 1100 grams of bread flour (just a hair over 9 cups). So it looks like I am in the ball park for quantity.

However, I also came across the following statement: "Do not exceed speed 2 when preparing yeast doughs as this may cause damage to the stand mixer."

Oooops! I always make my bagel dough at speed 4.

Do any of you observe these limitations (or equivalent for your mixer?) when making yeast dough products?

Aha! You have been abusing your KA! Now the truth comes out.

I always run Lucile on speed 2 when making bread. I have not come close to her 14 cup capacity yet (I am tempted to give it a go though).

I always run Lucile on speed 2 when making bread. I have not come close to her 14 cup capacity yet (I am tempted to give it a go though).

Lucille is a 6-quart, right?

Do you run it on 2 because the manual said so or was that your determination?

She is the Pro600 and the manual said to run no higher than 2, and there was lots of threatening words about voiding warranties and calling Mixer Protective Services and such.

I will say for bread making I see no reason to run it faster.

Hobart N50...three speed planetary transmission...

img_1108651_0_7f74796d1dbbee89e16703aabf605726.jpg

Last edited:
You really don't want to get MPS involved. They won't listen to reason, they assume you are guilty and it's up to you to prove you are not. Of course we have the transcripts on file for this conversation...

PrincessFiona60 said:
You really don't want to get MPS involved. They won't listen to reason, they assume you are guilty and it's up to you to prove you are not. Of course we have the transcripts on file for this conversation...

As manditory reporters, I'm not sure we have a choice, PF.

I just checked out the Hobart site...they don't have anything anymore that even resembles what I used to use...The old floor mixer was taller than me.

LMAO! Somebody should get the trigger ready to delete all of Andy's DC posts. We don't want to get into the possible area of being a site that condones mixer abuse.... No telling where that would end up...

Hey, it was an accident, I swear! I would never hurt my mixer, it gives me things to eat.

You know, I could lose my license if I let you slide...

Attachments

• nurse_cartoon.large.jpg
    nurse_cartoon.large.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Hey Andy... what's up with the mixer?

Frank, I got it back on Monday. Replaced the nylon gear, gasket and pin. I used it Thursday to make CC cookies with our grandson and it worked normally.

I have already reduced my bagel recipe by a third to reduce strain on the drive train. I'll just make two batches.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom