HELP! I Think I'm Screwed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One question...

Does it seem to work better? Sometimes things like this slowly degrade over time and you don't notice until it breaks. You fix it and then it seems like it is better than it has been in a while, which it is. :)

How big is that bagel recipe anyways?

The sacrifice gear broke, exactly as it was designed to do, preventing further damage in the transmission.
Yeah, when I bought my mixer the dough hook had a sticker (if I remember) on it which stated not to go beyond speed 2.

I noticed no difference in performance.

The bagel recipe was for 1100 grams of bread flour (9.2 cups) and some onion powder and flakes. That make 18 bagels for me. I make them smaller than the bagel shop bagels as a means of portion control.

I cut the recipe back by a third to make 12 bagels. I can make two consecutive batches the same day and end up with two dozen.

I noticed no difference in performance.

The bagel recipe was for 1100 grams of bread flour (9.2 cups) and some onion powder and flakes. That make 18 bagels for me. I make them smaller than the bagel shop bagels as a means of portion control.

I cut the recipe back by a third to make 12 bagels. I can make two consecutive batches the same day and end up with two dozen.
1.1 kg. flour and 700 g. water sounds like a pretty stiff dough.

Last edited:
Just over 9 cups of flour...

The most I have done with Lucille is 8 cups, and she was peachy. One of these days I am gonna see what the 14 cup "flour power" will do... :)

roadfix: Yes, that's the same hydration level I use for pizza dough.

Frank: My mixer's book calls for a max of 10 cups with no hydration level identified.

A quick check at King Arthur's site showed at least one recipe with a 63% hydration. So I can't be that far off.

So you ran it at 90% capacity and over speed for 10 years and a sacrificial gear finally failed.

These KAs are horrible pieces of crap I tell ya... :LOL:

So you ran it at 90% capacity and over speed for 10 years and a sacrificial gear finally failed.

These KAs are horrible pieces of crap I tell ya... :LOL:

Yeah, they don't make them like they used to. Not to mention I had to buy it at a reduced price at Costco. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom