Help! I was sold a Viking Microwave/Convection/Hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zagoren

Assistant Cook
We purchased a Wolf DF304 30" range and was told by the salesman and the manager at Gringer Appliances in New York that the only microwave/hood that would work with a "professional range" was the Viking VMOR2502. They told us that it is the only one with a heat shield that can withstand the heat given off by the Wolf rangetop.

I am suspicious of this. Does anyone have any knowledge of whether this is a real concern with these 30" wolfs or vikings? Did we get oversold on the microwave?

Thanks!

Microwave/Hood

I was momentarily jacked up, I could hardly type or think due to the profuse amount of f-bombs fomenting in my little pea-brain. :wacko:

However, I've developed a little wisdom over the years so I went back an re-read your post once more. What is the "microwave/hood?" If this is a combination unit, that sits right above the range he might be right. :)

I've seen a few combination units in our neighborhood almost burned up from the homeowner upgrading the cooktop/range sitting underneath the unit. We removed our combination unit & replaced w/ a venthood. We bought a mw & put it into a shelf built into our island. We couldn't have kept the combi-unit w/ the cooktop we replaced our builder-grade unit with. We didn't see a ready replacement & just assumed we had to do it the way we did. Didn't think there might be another brand of combination mw/venthood that might work.:cool:

I can definitely say that commercial type ranges (Wolf, Viking, Dacor, DCS etc.) have burners with higher BTU's. This means the heat generated is much more than a regular GE Profile type range.

Its generally not a good idea to go with a microwave hood with commerical grade appliances. They also generate a lot of heat so a professional type hood that has large CFM capacity would be a good idea.

I don't know if Viking makes a microwave/hood combo unit that can withstand this much heat what I do know is that most over the hood microwaves cannot handle the high BTU's.

I know this because I had remodeled the kitchen in my old house and since it was not a major overhaul I wanted to keep my microwave hood and I was told that if I do that it would not be a good idea to go with a commercial stove. This was by ABT appliances in Glenview, IL and they are so large and reputable that I don't doubt their advice.

Don't Buy It

Just looked at the Viking mw/venthood?? It is not even clear that its a combination venthood like my GE profile mw was, at least the GE had 300 cfm. You need a good venthood above that stove (30" above the stove), 600 cfm blower motor minimum. You should go talk to Wolf to match your stove. If that's too expensive go find a Ventahood. :)

THis is the one I have:
Go to Viking website and then...
PRODUCTS > Cooking > Microwaves > Convection Microwave Hoods > Professional Hoods > VMOR Convection Microwave Hood

It says its "for use with 24" or 30" W nongriddle cooking products. My Wolf is 30".

It's the Wolf

Does that microwave have an exhaust fan in it that will draw from underneath? Further to that, and you can double-check me on the Wolf website design manual (it should be a downloadable pdf), any venthood or anything else for that matter should be 30" above the top cooking surface of that stove. I'm thinking you don't want a microwave up there myself. ;)

That's one heck of an oven, if it were me I'd return the mw. :cool:

Last edited:
300 CFM vs 600CFM

Does that microwave have an exhaust fan in it that will draw from underneath? Further to that, and you can double-check me on the Wolf website design manual (it should be a downloadable pdf), any venthood or anything else for that matter should be 30" above the top cooking surface of that stove. I'm thinking you don't want a microwave up there myself. ;)

That's one heck of an oven, if it were me I'd return the mw. :cool:

Well plugger....
I think that without outside venting (i live in an apt and we can't do that) a hood-only with CFM 600 is going to just do a double crappy job as my 300 CFM Viking. Don't you agree?

I think we'll just lean on it heavily as a convection oven and microwave.

I have the unit in question from Viking. I did what has been mentioned here, I already had existing cabinets that I love. I wanted to upgrade from the standard GE stainless appliances. I went for the Viking 30 inch range and decided to do something with the micro/hood combo. I would like to have a better hood but still needed the microwave and space was a premium. I like the unit for what it is. My brother and sister-in-law have a GE profile with 300 CFM vented outside with a similar pipe diameter and length and I can say the Viking does more. I know they are both rated at 300 but for whatever reason I get more performance from the Viking. I had a GE that was vented outside and this Viking will draw more air than that one did also. My parents have the 600 CFM hood and this is not even close to that. I would recomend going that route if you can find another spot for a microwave. The bottom line is if I add to this house and gain a little more kitchen space the Viking will get a real Viking hood and the microwave will get moved.

venting

does a CFM 600 hood make a big difference if it can't be vented outside?

I have the unit in question from Viking. I did what has been mentioned here, I already had existing cabinets that I love. I wanted to upgrade from the standard GE stainless appliances. I went for the Viking 30 inch range and decided to do something with the micro/hood combo. I would like to have a better hood but still needed the microwave and space was a premium. I like the unit for what it is. My brother and sister-in-law have a GE profile with 300 CFM vented outside with a similar pipe diameter and length and I can say the Viking does more. I know they are both rated at 300 but for whatever reason I get more performance from the Viking. I had a GE that was vented outside and this Viking will draw more air than that one did also. My parents have the 600 CFM hood and this is not even close to that. I would recomend going that route if you can find another spot for a microwave. The bottom line is if I add to this house and gain a little more kitchen space the Viking will get a real Viking hood and the microwave will get moved.

Back
Top Bottom