"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
Sous Chef

High elevation

Does anyone know where I could find out if I need to change my tempature or cooking time due to higher elevation? It seems as though my foods take a lot longer to cook than what the recipe says. I would say it might be the oven but it is brand new.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
it does indeed have a significant effect on cooking time, water boils at a lower temp the higher up you are.
Pressure cooker times Should remain more or less constant though with a little extra weight added to the center ballance.
thermometers will remain unaffected as will your cookers thermostat.
Oven cooking will change only a little as it`s nearly a closed system, stovetop boiling will take more time though.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
How much elevation are you talking about? I don't believe there is a problem anywhere below 3,000 feet. I know I lived in Albuquerque at 5,000 feet and never had a problem, except for one Anglefood cake that collapsed on me after I took it out of the oven.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
Executive Chef

here`s something that May be helpfull sadly it`s using antiquated units of measurement, but you should be able to convert them into something usable with a calculator: High Altitude Cooking Tips
Howstuffworks "Why do many foods have "High Altitude Cooking Instructions"?"

edit: this may assist in Conversion; http://www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/chemi.../units_en.html

Old 04-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I don't know how high up I am. I live in the mountains in Lynchburg, VA. Who do I call for that information? Thanks for the site YT...I will take a look.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:17 PM   #6
Executive Chef

the Met Office would know, but perhaps Google maps or similar will have that data, it only needs your postcode (zipcode I think you call it).

Old 04-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Mrs. C., Piney Mountain and Chandler Mountain are the highest points in the Lynchburg, VA area of the long span of the Blue Ridge Mountains. They are only about 2,300 feet at their summit. Unless you live at the very top of one of these areas, you probably don't have an altitude problem to be concerned about.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I live at 7500 ft and have no problems some things take a little longer.I also cooked every summer for 8 years at 10.000 ft and at the Taos Ski Valley for 11 years in the winter 9.500 ft.It just takes longer never had any problems with breads,cookies only cakes can be some what difficult.The bright side is you you are not likely to burn anything.It definatly can take forever to cook beans even though they are soaked in Texas Im always shocked how quickly a pot of beans will cook even without soaking.
Any thing under 3000 ft should be no problem.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:15 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Thank you all for the input...maybe it is my oven then. I am not having any issues with boiling just cooking in the oven. I will have to check exactly what my elevation is and go from there. Thank you again!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:07 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
I live at 7500 ft and have no problems some things take a little longer.I also cooked every summer for 8 years at 10.000 ft and at the Taos Ski Valley for 11 years in the winter 9.500 ft.It just takes longer never had any problems with breads,cookies only cakes can be some what difficult.The bright side is you you are not likely to burn anything.It definatly can take forever to cook beans even though they are soaked in Texas Im always shocked how quickly a pot of beans will cook even without soaking.
Any thing under 3000 ft should be no problem.
I remember Raton! We used to drive through there going up to Denver to play in hockey tournaments. There is a big green freeway sign over the interstate that says RATON NEXT 7 EXITS. A little further on, there is a carved wooden sign in the center divider that says RATON WELCOMES YOU NEXT 5 EXITS. My son looked at me and said "what about the other two?" "They throw rocks!" I replied.