High elevation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Cuillo

Sous Chef
Does anyone know where I could find out if I need to change my tempature or cooking time due to higher elevation? It seems as though my foods take a lot longer to cook than what the recipe says. I would say it might be the oven but it is brand new.

it does indeed have a significant effect on cooking time, water boils at a lower temp the higher up you are.
Pressure cooker times Should remain more or less constant though with a little extra weight added to the center ballance.
thermometers will remain unaffected as will your cookers thermostat.
Oven cooking will change only a little as it`s nearly a closed system, stovetop boiling will take more time though.

How much elevation are you talking about? I don't believe there is a problem anywhere below 3,000 feet. I know I lived in Albuquerque at 5,000 feet and never had a problem, except for one Anglefood cake that collapsed on me after I took it out of the oven.

I don't know how high up I am. I live in the mountains in Lynchburg, VA. Who do I call for that information? Thanks for the site YT...I will take a look.

the Met Office would know, but perhaps Google maps or similar will have that data, it only needs your postcode (zipcode I think you call it).

Mrs. C., Piney Mountain and Chandler Mountain are the highest points in the Lynchburg, VA area of the long span of the Blue Ridge Mountains. They are only about 2,300 feet at their summit. Unless you live at the very top of one of these areas, you probably don't have an altitude problem to be concerned about.

:) I live at 7500 ft and have no problems some things take a little longer.I also cooked every summer for 8 years at 10.000 ft and at the Taos Ski Valley for 11 years in the winter 9.500 ft.It just takes longer never had any problems with breads,cookies only cakes can be some what difficult.The bright side is you you are not likely to burn anything.It definatly can take forever to cook beans even though they are soaked in Texas Im always shocked how quickly a pot of beans will cook even without soaking.
Any thing under 3000 ft should be no problem.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the input...maybe it is my oven then. I am not having any issues with boiling just cooking in the oven. I will have to check exactly what my elevation is and go from there. Thank you again!!!;)

jpmcgrew said:
:) I live at 7500 ft and have no problems some things take a little longer.I also cooked every summer for 8 years at 10.000 ft and at the Taos Ski Valley for 11 years in the winter 9.500 ft.It just takes longer never had any problems with breads,cookies only cakes can be some what difficult.The bright side is you you are not likely to burn anything.It definatly can take forever to cook beans even though they are soaked in Texas Im always shocked how quickly a pot of beans will cook even without soaking.
Any thing under 3000 ft should be no problem.

I remember Raton! We used to drive through there going up to Denver to play in hockey tournaments. There is a big green freeway sign over the interstate that says RATON NEXT 7 EXITS. A little further on, there is a carved wooden sign in the center divider that says RATON WELCOMES YOU NEXT 5 EXITS. My son looked at me and said "what about the other two?" "They throw rocks!" I replied.

Mrs. Cuillo said:
Thank you all for the input...maybe it is my oven then. I am not having any issues with boiling just cooking in the oven. I will have to check exactly what my elevation is and go from there. Thank you again!!!;)

The thermostats in even a brand new oven can be off - they get jostled during shipment and can get off. My Mom just got a new rather expensive oven that was way off. That's why a $15 oven thermometer is always cheap insurance.

If you want to know your altitude - call your local Chamber of Commerce office. In the Lynchburg, VA area that would be (434) 845-5966 - Monday-Friday, 9AM-5PM, except holidays.

:) Here you go_Observed at:Lynchburg, VirginiaElevation:935 ft / 285 m Its gotta be your oven temp.
Also altitude is the wrong term ,elevation is how high you are from sea level,altitude is how high you are from elevation be it 1000 ft or 10000 ft.
Now I wait for Micheal to prove me wrong because I just well could be.

:) OOps I was wrong !Did my home work elevation is from sea level if you travel by land altitude is when you are flying and still calculated from sea level.I learn some thing new every day.
I stand corrected by me.:ohmy:

Dove said:
Caine,
then you might remember going through where I was born, Trinidad colorado.
Marge

No, but I do remember the exit sign pointing west to Eden, and commenteing that we must, then, be EAST OF EDEN! I can also remember my car acting up in the Las Vegas/San Antonio area because it didn't have a high altitude package installed.

Michael in FtW said:
The thermostats in even a brand new oven can be off - they get jostled during shipment and can get off. My Mom just got a new rather expensive oven that was way off. That's why a $15 oven thermometer is always cheap insurance.

If you want to know your altitude - call your local Chamber of Commerce office. In the Lynchburg, VA area that would be (434) 845-5966 - Monday-Friday, 9AM-5PM, except holidays.

WOW!!! Thank you Michael for doing my homework for me!! ;) I just moved here so I am still unsure of where things are and how to find them. I appreciate your help!!
The whole elevation/altitude thing makes sense now that you explained it jmp...I learned something new today too!!!
Thank you again to everyone for your help...if that is in fact the elevation of Lynchburg, it has to be my oven. I will get that fixed!!

Back
Top Bottom