"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-04-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

High-end electric ranges

Hi,

I'm currently using a 25 year old really crappy range.

I'm looking into getting a high-end electric range. I have looked at the Viking Professional, but it's very expensive. Though I don't mind paying that much, I'm wondering if any of you had any idea what other range might be good. I'm really open to the plain-looking professional ranges, I don't mind their appearance.

Before anyone suggests, I don't want to go induction because I would have to change all my cookware (A-C MC2), and gas is out of question for me (I'm a hippy ).

Plus, are high-end electric ranges very performant? My biggest problem with my current range is that it cycles on-off a lot, which is a pain in the ***. Are they responsive too?

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
Head Chef

Hi Pluc,
I don't know if you would consider it high end or not, but when my dad remodeled his summer house he bought all Jenn Aire products. He has had problems with the refrigerator and the double wall convection oven, but has never had an issue with the electric cook top. I've cooked on it numerous times and I've never had problems with temperature response.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Well, by high-end I don't mean incredibly expensive stuff, I just mean really well working stuff. I favor functionality over design. :)
Old 04-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Well, well, looking at Consumer Report, it looks as if a 750$ Kenmore outdoes the Viking range.

But they say nothing about control. :(
Old 04-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Executive Chef

here are many high end electric cooktops, but few high end electric ranges. Viking is one of the few, and yes they are expensive.

But look into the top of the line GE, Whirlpool, Fridgidaire etc. ranges. THere is more variety out there than most stores stock on the showroom floor.

My sis has a nearly top line Frigidaire electric glasstop with speed bake oven which is dang nice, comes in stainless, and cooks great.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Look into the Electrolux electric range.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I have a Viking professional electric double wall oven and the 6 burner electric cooktop. I can not say enough about either. I love them. The cooktop required extra wiring to handle the load, and I will say it rivals a gas range. They were both expensive, but I would do it again. They are well worth the extra dough.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
I am a gas girl, but *IF* I were buying electric, I'd be seriously looking at the LG product. It's gorgeous and LG appliances are rating very well. I know an appliance repairman and he says he'd buy LG right now, if that's any help.

That said, I have and LOVE my Jenn-Aire dual fuel, although I really notice the dryer bake of the electric ovens. If you are serious about function over form, I would look closely at the Frigidare. I don't think you'll find much more reasonably priced.