"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-25-2005, 11:54 AM   #11
Master Chef

I'm the same way about cookbooks., and ebay has lots of them! I recently got the new edition of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook by Marion Cunningham. I was so impressed that I ordered another for my daughter, along with duplicates of my new Joy of Cooking and Julia Child's French Cooking for her as well.
I also have a 1940's Joy of Cooking that belonged to my great-grandma, and the 60's edition that I got when I was in high school. That, and the old Fannie Farmer taught me how to cook.
A friend who is moving gave me two of his cookbooks that I have coveted for a long time...Leone's Italian Cookbook, and The New York Times Cookbook.
My aunt worked in the Betty Crocker test kitchens and helped put together their first cookbook...I have her copy. My Grandma White's Amish Brethren Cookbook, with lots of hand-written notes, is wonderful to read. I even found a little homemade Mother's Day card inside that my daddy made for her when he was in the 4th grade.
And lots of others...

Old 06-25-2005, 10:28 PM   #12
Master Chef

I just caught part of a show on the Food Network 2-3 nights ago about a guy like you .... likes to collect old mixers and blenders. Seems he found an old 1930's something Hobart KitchenAid ... and refurbished it. Someone at Hobart found out about it and they bought it from him (for an undisclosed amount) and it is now in their museum - seems they were missing that model.

Old 06-26-2005, 09:28 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
Someone at Hobart found out about it and they bought it from him (for an undisclosed amount) and it is now in their museum - seems they were missing that model.

The dream of every collector!
Old 06-26-2005, 03:32 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Heat
Your not mental!! I would class you as a collector!! Like me im a TIMER and SALT SHAKER collector!! I have many and yard sales is a great place to find em too!! Hahahahha So if your mental so am i!!!!
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:04 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

hobby - no
mental illness - no
amiable addiction - yes
Old 06-26-2005, 04:10 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceUmUp
SO my question here: is this a Hobby or a Mental Illness?
If you had to ask, I think you already know the answer.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:17 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Consul Send a message via AIM to Consul
What is the act of collecting things but a mild form of obsessive-compulsive disorder?

Heck, to hear the new psychiatrists tell it, everyone has a mental illness of some kind. Some people out there even wear their so-called mental illness like a badge of honor.

That being said, I don't think you're crazy at all. Now, soldering together electronics parts to make audio gear for a home studio so I can make progressive rock records of my own? That's crazy.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:03 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
I just caught part of a show on the Food Network 2-3 nights ago about a guy like you .... likes to collect old mixers and blenders. Seems he found an old 1930's something Hobart KitchenAid ... and refurbished it. Someone at Hobart found out about it and they bought it from him (for an undisclosed amount) and it is now in their museum - seems they were missing that model.
Follow this link to thie site of the fellow that restored it: http://www.decodan.com/h5.htm
Old 06-26-2005, 07:00 PM   #19
Head Chef

We collect old menus, although they have been getting pretty pricey on Ebay recently.

Have a bil who collects figurines with accordions (I always have to look up whether that word is spelled with an 'a' or an 'o') and a sil (married to bil) who collects ashtrays.

Keeps us active on Ebay but makes birthday and Christmas buying fairly simple.

Why people collect the items they do, I have no idea.

The one advantage of collecting menus is that one can shove a whole lot of them into a drawer.

Good luck all!
Old 06-26-2005, 07:07 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I also collect memoribila from the Selz Shoe Company of Chicago Ill. "Largest Maker of good shoes in the world" (family connection). So if you see anything interesting in that line, let me know!