Hot Diggity Dog!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha!!

That would be nice to own, and I've seen them before, but I have to eat my hot dogs boiled to get rid of most of the salt.

Cooking hot dogs and toasting the buns is what toaster ovens are for. Why add another gadget to a counter top that gets more crowded every day?

Microwave cooks the weiners ... oven broiler toasts the buns ... saves counter space/cabinate storage space and $50!

Yes - it might take me 2-minutes longer the "old" way - but it saves me 2-3 minutes trying to dig the gizmo out of the cabinet every time I want a hotdog!

Last edited:
Not for me as I like my hot dog buns soft (make my own), not toasted. Besides, why would the seller only have one unit in his warehouse? Does her really mean one model, or has he not sold the first one he bought? Hmmmmmm... Since Ron Popiel (sp?) is not selling it, I probably would not buy it.:ROFLMAO:

Joe

Wouldnt the buns get too toasty or the hot dogs not cooked enough?
Not if you're any good at making hot dogs, no. You put the hot dogs on the tray in the toaster oven, turn the knob to BROIL, then nuke the buns in the microwave for about 20 seconds so you can "spread eagle" them without breaking them. When one side of the hot dog is done, you pull out the tray, turn the hot dogs over, put the buns under the broiler, and continue to cook until the buns are toasted and the hot dogs are broiled.

BTW, if I WAS to buy a special machine to cook hot dogs and buns, I would prefer THIS one that I saw in the Fingerhut catalog.

j6696_200.JPG

BTW, if you look in Buy Together at the bottom of the catalog page, you will also see the T-FAL one egg frying pan, which is very popular in France because, in French, one egg is an oeuf.​

Last edited:
Amy, I am a recovering gizmo-aholic. And a not recovering hot dog - aholic.

Love hot dogs, gotta eat them in moderation. But cook them in different ways as I do the buns.

Can do a fine job with just a cast iron pan, for both the buns and franks. Or boil or nuke the stuff. Or the toaster oven, or the broiler. Each one has its own special textures. And of course the grill.

Many folks on this, and previous threads, have posted favorite ways of cooking the dog.

And in my estimation they all have their place. And are great, depending upon the circumstances and one's druthers at the moment.

But even I will not fall for this gadget. And I won't even need to call my gizmo-aholic sponsor to get through it.

Phooey, save the fifity bucks.

Love hot dogs, gotta eat them in moderation. But cook them in different ways as I do the buns.

Can do a fine job with just a cast iron pan, for both the buns and franks. Or boil or nuke the stuff. Or the toaster oven, or the broiler. Each one has its own special textures. And of course the grill.
You didn't mention deep frying. There's nothing like a deep fried hot dog and french fries.

You didn't mention deep frying. There's nothing like a deep fried hot dog and french fries.

This is so true, not tried one of those. Saw it on a TV show about the best dogs in the world. Crunchy!

By the way...that japanese guy whose the best hot dog eater at Nathans annual hot dog eating contest has TMJ. A mouth disorder. Jaw problems.

Also, the mystery was cleared up about how a skinny person can down so many dogs.

Last edited:
I like my hot dog buns steamed and by dogs fried in butter. Second choice is a Chicago style dog with poppyseed steamed bun and run thru the garden.
I would like to try it the way this place in Hawaii did it on a FN show. They stuck uncut buns onto this hot metal skewer thing to toast the inside, then stick the dog in it. You pour your toppings of choice into it and eat it. I like the idea, but wouldn't want all the toppings just on one end so I would mix it all in and around the dog.

Or a deep fried chili cheese dog!! Anyone remember The Great Hot Dog Experience... Chimi Chili Dog... DROOL

I try to avoid single duty appliances. I have a VERY small kitchen.

I would like to try it the way this place in Hawaii did it on a FN show. They stuck uncut buns onto this hot metal skewer thing to toast the inside, then stick the dog in it. You pour your toppings of choice into it and eat it. I like the idea, but wouldn't want all the toppings just on one end so I would mix it all in and around the dog.

You are referring to Puka Dog.

It wasn't too far from my condo, had it a couple of times and the mango may dog was my fave...also really good after a night of adult activities.

A friend, and former Chicago restaurateur, Hank, opened this place near downtown Honolulu.

Hank's Hot Dogs - Menu

Upscale dogs that are amazing!

I love the 2nd one. if I could throw away $50 - oh, it's tempting. 1st one, I don't think so. Only 2 dogs at a time and doesn't look like it'd hold bun length.
I'll stick with the grill or cast-iron, or deep-fried where they almost blow up. And I like my buns a comfortable room temp. (No comments, please)
I also like to slash mine with X marks if cooking in the cast-iron alittle toward the end of cooking.
But tube-steak gotta be my favorite fall back food.
Them and eggs.

You are referring to Puka Dog.

It wasn't too far from my condo, had it a couple of times and the mango may dog was my fave...also really good after a night of adult activities.

A friend, and former Chicago restaurateur, Hank, opened this place near downtown Honolulu.

Hank's Hot Dogs - Menu

Upscale dogs that are amazing!

Yup, thats it! Puka dogs. DW is drooling over the mango dog I am sure, as she loves anything mango.
Hanks looks very upscale, but very cool.

I have one of those and I absolutely love it. The hotdogs taste way better than fried or boiled. I usually run the hotdogs through 2 cycles to get them really browned. I do prefer the buns steamed though. It's pretty much the only "gadget" I own.

Back
Top Bottom