How do I clean a microwave after burrito explodes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Yesterday, one of my step-sons decides to heat up a burrito in the microwave. I'm not sure how long he put it in for, but when I noticed it, there was smoke everywhere in the kitchen, and the burrito was a charred mess.

As a result, I know have a smokey smell in the microwave, and an orange residue on the bottom of the microwave. I took the tray out and cleaned it, and cleaned the microwave inside as best I could. I put a damp sponge in, gave it a minute to generate some steam, and used some 409 multi-cleaner with a green scrubbie to remove the stain. Most of it came up, but I still have some discoloration.

I know the smell will dissapate with time, but is there anything I can do for the discoloration?

to help with the smell put a glass of water in the microwave and put some lemon juice in and "cook" it for two minutes, it will also help loosen any gunk.

i'd try white vinegar, bicarbonate of soda or eucalptus oil - for some stains and stuff i reckon the old traditional stuff tends to work better!

I once had to clean an entire kitchen that had experienced a very smokey grease fire that left a layer of soot over everything. I used Spic 'N Span Pine as the cleaner. It cut through everyting and removed all smoke odor from the room. I had to disassemble the range hood and sand the metal bare. I have a friend who works as a painter at a car dealership and he shot it with white enamle paint for me. I replaced the fan and light wiring, put everything back to gether, and my kitchen was as good as new. I swear by Spic 'N Span Pine liquid for smoke clean-up.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom