How do I clean oil out of my self cleaning oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Actually in the valley, lol - so - put my oven on self-clean yesterday, came back into the kitchen about a half hour later, and the bottom of the oven had a nice little campfire going. I seem to remember tipping a pan of roasting veggies that had olive oil on them about a week ago when I was removing the pan; that's probably what started it!

My question is what can I use to get the oil off the bottom of the oven so I can continue on with the self-cleaning cycle? I think I remember you're not supposed to use heavy cleaners with a self-clean oven, but not sure. Help! TIA!

there is a oven spray cleaner out now for self cleaning ovens. It's safe to use, I have used it several times when I don't want to go through the self cleaning process.

Marmalady, I don't have a self-cleaning oven, but I prefer using steam rather than chemicals and abrasives. There are some great steamers out there that accomplish a multitude of tasks.

Last edited:
If you can handle the smoke, just use the self cleaning cycle to clean it. You may have to run a longer cycle.

Mish - never thought of the steamer! DH bought one of those, and I just laughed at first, called it a 'guy' thing - but it does do great work, especially on the little corners in the kitchen cabinets!

Andy, the smoke wouldn't bother me, I have a pretty good hood/fan, but was a little concerned about the flames!!!

Don't worry about the flames. They're inside an oven. The self cleaning cycle gets the oven up to around 900 F. A few flames won't make a difference.

Yep.. just let them burn away.

I always put a layer of tin foil on the bottom of my oven to catch
the liquids that fall. I remove it before cleaning ...or before guests comeover...

I like to wipe up any big messes before I use the self-cleaning cycle. My house is old and I don't have an exhaust fan/hood. So I simply spray with something like 409, let soak for a bit, wipe up the worst part of it, then run the cleaning cycle. Otherwise the smell and smoke would drive us out of the house.

OK, now for another question. I leave my oven racks in and let the oven clean them. They don't look pretty, but I'm all for saving on the scrubbing. Unfortunately, this makes it so that they don't slide in and out as smoothly as they could. Is there anything to spray on the edges so they slide in and out better? WD40?

I don't think I would use WD40 in my oven Clair, but try some cooking oil wiped on the rack tracks maybe. Not sure how long it would last, but it might be worth a shot.

My operating manual tells me to wipe the tracks with a light coating of cooking oil. It lasts until the next cleaning.

Claire, cant' remember - do you have a dishwasher? Throw your oven racks in and set the knob for "heavy duty". I do this all the time with my metal dish drainer and the thing for the shower that you put the shampoo, etc. on.

:) Another thing you can do once you get it clean is get a oven liner you can get them at the store where they sell the throw away aluminum turkey roasters they are a flat sheet of aluminum with a slight edge around it you just put it on the bottom of oven it catches the bad spills use it for a while then pull out and throw away .I use them in my self cleaning oven sure saves me alot of problems.By the way when using self cleaning feature make sure to not leave it in oven.

Self-cleaning and self-defrosting. There's two misnomers/oxymorons :LOL: You know what I'm going to say, right? If they're self cleaning & self-defrosting, what do these appliances need us around for! Ba da bum.:LOL:

Last edited:
Are liners okay?

I see that a lot of you use liners with your self-cleaning ovens and I just bought a new one today. I'm looking through the manual and one thing it says is, "No commercial oven cleaner or oven liner protective coating of any kind should be used in or around any part of the oven." I'm looking at the pdf version of the manual, and there is no other instance of "liner" in the whole thing.

Does this mean I can't use one? Or is this one of those disclaimer warnings that tell you not-to-do-something-when-you-really-can-if-you're-careful things?

While I understand the cleaner part, I don't get the 'oven liner protective coating' whatever it is.

I was planning on buying a liner before I use it because I want to keep this one in the best shape possible.

Any advice?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom