How do I remove "Gunk" on non-stick griddle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jet

Sous Chef
I have a couple of non-stick griddles that I use for making things like French toast, grilled cheese and pancakes. I wash then with a cloth or a sponge, then towel dry them and they look clean. Later when I get then out to use, I can see a shadow on the surface. Scratching with my fingernail does nothing, but if I rub it with my finger "gunk" rolls off. I've washed them several times but I cannot seem to get rid of it.

Any ideas?

Do you wash your griddle with soap? My best guess is that its either soap residue that has hardened (not my first choice) or its grease that has hardened. You could try using Easy Off on it. I hear that works. I've not done it myself but I hear it works wonders.

I would try the new Dawn Power Scrubber it's for dishes and it seems to get the stuff that you are talking about (and I know what you are talking about) off better than most stuff. Is your griddle electric and you can't soak it? I had an electric that did the same thing. You can also try "Goo Off" (Goo Gone ~ I forget the name) the stuff that removes sticker residue, it works for that stuff too.

I've used Easy-Off many times on my non-stick griddle with great success. After I spray the Easy-Off on the griddle I wait a couple of minutes, then use a soft-bristled brush and lightly scrub the surface. Let it sit for a few more minutes and wash with hot soapy water. The griddle is nearly 10-years-old, used at least once per week and still looks and cooks like new.

I've never heard of using oven cleaner or Dawn Power dissolver on a non-stick griddle. If the plates are removable, I'd start with running them through a heavy duty dishwasher cycle.

Then I'd try a blue scrub sponge with soap that's safe for non-stick.

The bottle of Dawn Power Scrubber says as long as the non-stick is in tact and not scratched, it can be used. I'm not necessarily impressed by the stuff, but it shines my stove in an excellent way.

The bottle of Dawn Power Scrubber says as long as the non-stick is in tact and not scratched, it can be used. I'm not necessarily impressed by the stuff, but it shines my stove in an excellent way.

Good to know. I guess I should read the directions.:rolleyes:

Good to know. I guess I should read the directions.:rolleyes:
For your entertainment pleasure:

Dawn Power Dissolver: Avoid use on: appliance lettering, scratched "non-stick" surfaces, oven hoods, dishwasher doors, varnished wood, and copper. Painted items, particularly metal, vary in quality. When in doubt, test in a small hidden area.

Are they serious? Who comes up with these lists? Appliance lettering and dishwasher doors. I really wonder what this stuff is made of.

I agree. I thought the blue pads were soft and the green pads were abrasive. Plus Soft Scrub, that's too much for any cookware and if you look at the packaging, you shouldn't use it at all on cookware.

This thread seems close to my problem - I have a non stick griddle that chicken with a marinade was cooked on. The griddle was brand new, and was washed and prepped according to the instructions that came with it. The surface is now coated with black gunk that will not come off. I soaked it in hot water overnight twice, have used a wide variety of scrub pads, from non-abrasive up to a mild abrasive (had to get progressively tougher) and then brought it back to the store. They were willing to take it back, but suggested trying a product called Bar Keepers Friend, which while abrasive, they said would not harm the surface. Since they will still take it back, I figured I would try cleaning it some more and even tried a portable steamer - still no luck.

This is a reputable (as far as I know) brand from a reputable chain, and I'm just amazed that cooking chicken on a griddle would render it useless after one use. I've owned many a non-stick surface and never had this problem before. Just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences.

I've started soaking my griddle in the sink as soon as it's cool, and leaving it there until I wash dishes. That, combined with a silicon scraper, seems to help.

One important tip: DO NOT use cooking sprays, such as Pam, on any non-stick surface and they create the sort of gummy residue you're describing. Calphalon, for example, specifically recommends against using such sprays on its cookware: CLICK ME

Back
Top Bottom