How Do You Clean Your Oven Racks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix said:
I leave mine in the oven too. I don't really give a rip if they are darker. They are clean, thats all that matters.

I agree. You have a nice rack. :angel:

I'll confess to being lazy. I leave the racks in for the cleaning cycle, and they never look pretty and shiny again, but are clean. I've actually written to a couple of oven manufacturers and asked why they don't make black matte oven racks so that after the cleaning cycle they still look ok. No response so far! If I had to scrub the racks 'til they were chrome-shiny, I'd never use my oven again!!

I have always wondered how the self clean worked since we got a new oven with it. It's just the day for it having read all the post about it, so i'll give it a try. Thanks everybody.

sometimes I take the oven racks and spray with oven cleaner. I put newspaper down and spray the racks and leave overnight and then hose them off it's in the summer and winter I just wash them off in the laundry tub. Not much scrubbing at all.

i do the same thing thump. leaving them overnight with the oven cleaner does the trick. any difficult spots are cleaned with soft scrub or comet.

I have a self-cleaning oven, but I've never used it. My oven finish is the kind that stuff doesn't stick to...I just brush out the burnt bits every once in a while. I also take precautions against things bubbling over by putting foil covered baking sheets underneath likely items.

I don't have nor ever had a self cleaning oven unless you consider me (self) cleaning the oven so I don't know the answer to this but I'd probably take mine out unless they were grubby. Cleaning an oven is a job I hate doing so needless to say I try my best to avoid any spillage or splatter and wipe it down good.

Yes, the fumes are toxic to birds. I have 4 parrots so I am extremely careful when I do the self-clean thing. I also have cats & I do worry about their little lungs, too. I should have done it already this year so I could have all the windows & doors open. It's getting cold now around here.

I have a self-cleaning oven, and have only once used the self-clean feature in the past 6 years. The fumes were so awful that I never bothered using it again. Instead, I have a $1200 vapour steam cleaner that blasts it clean without having to use any nasty chemicals...it's still hard work, but at least we can breathe LOL!

Paint.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom