How Do You Clean Your Oven Racks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianMeg

Senior Cook
I have a self cleaning oven. It's doing the work now. But I don't like to leave my racks in there while it is on self clean.

How do you clean your oven racks? :chef:

I soak them for a long time in hot hot soapy water and then
scrub scrub scrub. Have fun. lol!!

GB... do they turn a funky color when you do that? The directions that came with my oven said never to leave them in during a cleaning.

This was the oven that came with our house. It is probably from the 70's with the original racks so they are not sparkling new to look at to begin with, but they seem fine to me. I don't see anything obviously off about them.

I leave them in the oven during self-cleaning as well. Yes, the color darkens, but I'm willing to trade rack color for the elimination of cleaning by hand.

STUPID question alert!!!
I have a self cleaning oven. I have never done it. How do you use it? I know to move the arm over and all, but, do you put any cleaners in there?
Noramlly I use my hands and a scrubber.

Nope no cleaners. Just turn on the self clean and what it does is heats up the oven super hot. It basically just burns everything turning it all into dust. At the end of the cycle, once the oven has cooled down, just sweep out the dust.

It is best to do this during winter or a nice cold day :)

You slide the arm over to lock the door shut. Then you activate the cleaning cycle. There should be either a cleaning button or setting depending on your stove. If you have the instruction book, that's your best bet.

My stove has digital controls and buttons. I press the "CLEAN" button and then the stove displays 4:00 hours as the cleaning time. I can change that or accept the 4:00 hours and press "'START"

Basically, there are three steps:

1. select the cleaning cycle
2. set the cleaning time
3. start the cycle

Some ovens have the arm to lock the door, others lock it automatically when you start the cycle.

I leave mine in the oven too. I don't really give a rip if they are darker. They are clean, thats all that matters.

If you don't want to leave them in the oven, put them into a big trash bag with a couple of cups of full-trength ammonia, seal the bag and leave it outdoors overnight (the smell is too much to keep it in the house). The grunge should come off easily the next morning.

Thanks Andy and GB.
Mine are all digital too.
I'll have to go home and READ the manual again. I had to read the darn thing to figure out how too cook on it to begin with:LOL: I had never had an electric oven like this before.

Don't the fume off a self cleaning oven kill birds? Something about toxic fumes? ??? Did I dream this or was this actually on t.v. or something?

Hey Sizz, I don't know how they would be toxic, all it does it burn that crud up at an extremely high heat. There can be lots of smoke (if your oven is really dirty :blush: ) but if you turn on your hood fan it takes care of the worst of it.

I'd like to hear if there is any merit to that myself. I always stay home while doing my oven clean and if those dang fumes are toxic I want to know about it!

There are no fumes. It is just heat. Perhaps you are thinking of heating a non stick pan up without anything in it. That can cause fumes that kill birds.

The burning grunge in the oven will make smoke. It stinks but is not toxic unless your cooking was toxic when it spilled.:LOL:

I find that using my self cleaning oven is not worth the time in electric (4 hours I think is recommended). I use an oven spray, then wipe clean. As for the racks, you can take them out and spray them, then wipe clean. Rinse them with hot soapy water. Warning! For those that have gas ovens, and want to manually clean it with spray, you should make sure your pilot light is out!

I leave my racks in too. I can live with them being dark as long as I don't have to scrub them by hand. My first oven was not self cleaning & I hated that thing with a passion! I found out the hard way that oven cleaner burns your skin & can leave scars!

I leave mine in also - and clean the oven on a cool day but burn candles at the same time. It needs to be cleaned as soon as we have a cool day.

My oven takes 3.5 hours to clean itself. It's cold today so it was a good day to do it. I'd also already had my oven on at 350* so it didn't have as far to heat when I selected the clean. Mine locks and stays locked until it is cool. :)

Back
Top Bottom