"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #31
Executive Chef

That's not a bad idea!

But the Z machine is supposed to feature separate cycles BWB and BWWB, which it does.

I want so bad to try the whole wheat bread recipe, but now I got a trip this weekend, so I'll have to wait til I get back.

And yes, King Author IS the best flour for making bread! Typically bread flour and whole wheat flour. But I've also had god luck with Gold Medal & Pillsbury as well. But I think King Author is the better of the three.

~Corey123.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Yes the Z. has settings for white and whole wheat bread. But from my experience and the advice of the bakers at King Arthur who sell the Z., do not use the whole wheat cycle for whole wheat bread, use the white cycle for whole wheat bread.

Old 04-22-2006, 10:49 AM   #33
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
I was going to buy a bread maker and then found out I have to stay away from yeast. can you believe I have a mild allergy to it. grrrr no more french bread or raised donuts. I do make quick breads and buns for my family and I just use the food processer. I got a great book years ago call 30 min bread and most of the receipts in it were for the food processor. So I guess my Answer is no after all of that. I am looking for recipes for food processor bread to this day and I still think of the bread maker and if I could find one cheap enough I would likely still buy it. if for no other reason then the ease of making dough and not getting my hands dirty.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:01 PM   #34
Executive Chef

So sorry to hear that you've got an allergy to yeast. Does that also mean that you can't buy yeast bread from the store as well?

But you can STILL buy a bread machine to make quick breads and cakes. My
Zojirushi allows the production of quick breads and cakes as well as jams.

~Corey123.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Glad you posted this. Have a bread machine in the basement that I have not used in years - but we loved it when I did use it!
Now retired, I was a school resource teacher, and I kept a bread machine on a cart in the resource room for teachers to borrow so the kids could experience the real thing. They would make the butter. Any time rain or cold was predicted, the signup sheet was booked! People would appear from all over campus following the smell of fresh baked bread. I left it there when I retired.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:56 AM   #36
Executive Chef

You're welcome!!

~Corey123.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

Bread not in a bread maker

I thought I would post our bread that we make religiously weekly. (this is from your sister site DiscussFitness.com where Cursor and I frequent)

Honey Oat Wheat Bread
Heat 2.5 cups of water to 110 degrees F (in preparation for the yeast). Add 1.5 cups of unbleached wheat flour, 1.5 cups of rolled oats, 1/3 cup gluten flour (to help the wheatbread raise), 1/3 cup canola oil, 1/6 cup honey, 1/6 cup molasses. Mix well.

Now you have a nice warm home for the 1.5 tbsp of quick-acting yeast. Go ahead and add it now...

Add 1 tbsp salt (don't worry, this'll make two nice big loaves), 1 cup of cursor multi-grain mix (see below), another 1.5 cups of rolled oats, and another 3.0 to 3.5 cups of the whole wheat flour (stop adding when the mixture starts to come clean from the sides of the mixing bowl).

Kneed thoroughly.

VERY lightly spray the inside surfaces of two large loaf pans with Pam (or equal brand). Separate into two loaves. Place loaves in pans and place (covered with a clean dish towel) in a warm area. Let rise for about 45 min to an hour (depends on the room temp).

When it has risen to double size, place in a 350 degree F preheated oven for 30 minutes. When done, remove from oven, and pop them out (just turn them upside down, then gently shake). Ideally, cool them on an open-air rack. Best if you don't slice immediately since it will simply deform the hot bread.

Don't even think about putting butter on it... (you'd better not have any in your house ) Be VERY careful though?it's really easy to go overboard. I've calculated that each slice (average 1.9 oz, about 16 slices per loaf) supplies you with 5g protein, 17g carbohydrate (+1g fiber), 3g fat = 115 calories.

It only takes me about 20 minutes of my time to make a couple of loaves (plus the rising, plus the cooking)?but oh the rewards!
_____

cursor multi-grain mix -- equal parts
GNC Soy baking mix
flax seed
bulger wheat
sunflower seeds
wheat germ
oat bran
Old 04-26-2006, 09:48 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Great recipe!! I might try it, but if I do, it will be done in one of my K'Aid Stand mixers.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:00 AM   #39
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
So sorry to hear that you've got an allergy to yeast. Does that also mean that you can't buy yeast bread from the store as well?

But you can STILL buy a bread machine to make quick breads and cakes. My
Zojirushi allows the production of quick breads and cakes as well as jams.

~Corey123.
Yes this means no bread or donuts well I do cheat and have a donut from time to time. but no french bread or other breads with yeast. Oh I do miss them. But I was never a big bread eater. If I found a bread machine for 20.00 at a garage sale or something I would likely buy it but at this point It is not at the top of my list of things I want. Now I do want a food processor and will likely pick one up this month.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:32 AM   #40
Cook

I have a bread machine, but I find I never really use it. There is something about bread baked in a traditional pan that you just can't get with a bread machine. I do, however use it for making dough if Iím in a hurry.