How many of you own a bread machine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
I've just received the Zojirushi bread machine from Cooking.com on Friday!:chef:

And I've used it already. So far, I made two loaves of bread with it. I think it's a wonderful machine!:)

What do you think? Do any of you have this machine or another brand?:ermm:

Let me know your thoughts and opinions, please. Thank you.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I have a bread machine.. and actually I just ended up using it for the quick mixes, you find on the store shelf.. they do taste great... and are quick to just dump in... wish I used it more for scratch type bread, but every time I used it, the bread turned out... thick, and never rised much.

I, also, bought a quick mix for the machine.

But I like the pure pleasure of making bread from scratch! I've always been fastinated by bread making, even when I first started doing it in the late '60s!!

I do own two wonderful K'Aid Stand Mixers that are perfectly great for making bread dough. But at times, I just don't feel like messing up the kitchen with flour and oils and getting my hands all sticky with dough.

My Zojirushi machine does all the work for me, and you NEVER touch the raw dough at all! The only time your hands come in contact with it is when it's completely baked.

I don't care what ANYONE says, carbs or not, there is truly nothing quite like making your own bread and enjoying the finished product after it's baked right in your machine!! So good!!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I have a bread machine. I use it for making pizza dough and french bread dough that I finish in the oven. I have used it for making bread right in the machine, too. I have even made bagel dough! I love it!

I have been thinking about getting an el cheapo one just for mixing the dough. I love making cinnamon rolls, bierocks, etc., but am not patient enough to make bread dough from scratch!! :wacko: We don't really eat much sliced bread to ever have the machine cook it, unless I just really want to make the house smell wonderful..... :dry: Bread dough-pourri!!!! :LOL: But the bagels sound good michelemarie!

We have a German made (Bifinet is the brand name, maybe Cara is familiar with it? Got it for €40 from Lidl!!), we use it quite often, but the slight problem is that sometimes it seems to have a mind of its own... the bread comes out perfect and wonderful at one time, but not at another, for no appearant reason. (I use the same recipe with fresh yeast)
The usual problem seems to be that the dough has been rising very well, then when it switches to the baking mode it crushes and sinks.
Is there an explanation? Or is it suggested that I just take it out and bake it in the conventional oven?

The sinking may be caused by too much liquid.

I had a Panasonic which died last month, after 15 years of very loyal and busy service. Because of such a great experience with Panasonic, I bought a new one similar to what I had. So far, after 2 loaves of Raisen Bread and 2 loaves of French Bread, I am very satisfied. One big difference was price. The old one was over $300 and the new one around $100. Hopefully, it will work for a long time.

I think I saw one that makes TWO loaves of bread simutaneously. Can't remember who makes it though.

And yes, my machine allows me to just MIX & KNEAD the dough if I want to do such things as pizza dough, cinnamon rolls, croissants, etc.. Do it this way cancels out the rising & baking feature.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
I've just received the Zojirushi bread machine from Cooking.com on Friday!:chef:

And I've used it already. So far, I made two loaves of bread with it. I think it's a wonderful machine!:)

What do you think? Do any of you have this machine or another brand?:ermm:

Let me know your thoughts and opinions, please. Thank you.

~Corey123.
Corey,
I have a Zojirushi now for about 10 years. I don't use it much anymore as I enjoy making it by hand. I do use it for pizza dough when we are in the mood for it. I think the zoji is the best machine at least for me..I never had a problem with it..My main objection to B/M bread is the sizr of the loaf and the hole in the bottom..I'm sure you will enjoy your b/m for years to come..Have fun it's a good one.

kadesma

I have one. Can't remember the brand but we got it for 10 bucks at a garage sale. I wish we used it more than we actually do.

I just got one today - free - from a co-worker who used it twice, I think...
Yeah!
I know it'll be better than store-bought bread. I'll have to see if I use it for the whole bake cycle or just to mix and knead.

I'm so excited though.
Downloaded the owner's manual from online - so many recipes to try!

I love the smell of bread baking. comfort food.

Yes! What brand is it?

Now make some homemade soup or stew to go with that and you've got one heck of a meal!!

~Corey123.

Debbie said:
I have a bread machine.. and actually I just ended up using it for the quick mixes, you find on the store shelf.. they do taste great... and are quick to just dump in... wish I used it more for scratch type bread, but every time I used it, the bread turned out... thick, and never rised much.

We had this problem for while too... found out lately by experimentation that the liquid ingredients were not warm enough to properly activate the yeast. I've been making a point of setting any eggs or milk out for an hour or so ahead of time, and then using just lukewarm water. If no water, then I might even nuke the milk slightly so it's just warm to touch. I haven't had any problems with getting a good rise since I started doing this.

Our machine is a Wellbilt. We've had it for 12 years and it still works perfectly. :chef:

If the water or milk that you use is not warm, then the dough won't rise at all. In most recipes, the Zojirushi instruction manual / cookbook recipes call for water and dry milk.

So I keep a small box of dry milk on hand for those recipes. But yes, the liquid MUST be warm, or it will kill the yeast.

~Corey123.

I have a dak, this recipe is very goog one that come with the machine.

Drew’s Famous Onion Dill Bread

1 package yeast

31/3-cups flour

¼ teaspoon baking soda

11/2-teaspoon salt

1 unbeaten egg (use ingredients at room temperature)

Mix together, warm and add:
¼ cup water
¾ cup cottage cheese
¾ cup sour cream
3 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons minced dried onion
2 Tablespoons whole dill seed
11/2 Tablespoons butter

In the order listed, place dry ingredients and egg into inner pan. Warm next set of ingredients, add them. Select white bread, and push “start” Lightly brush the top with a little melted butter at time of baking time if you wish.

This recipe is from the (DAK) Breadmaker Recipe book. I see no reason it could not be made with a mixer.

A personally memorable bread. And, one of my favorites. This rich bread fills the house with the enticing sent of onion and spicy aroma of dill. Everyone loves this hearty unusual bread!

I want to make hot cross buns in mine, but haven't been able to find my bread machine cookbook. I have a few and can't imagine what I've done with them. I like the idea of doing everything except the baking in the machine.

You might be able to get the recipe from a cookbook, if you have one that features the recipe.

One of the things that I like about the Zojirushi is that it lets you program three of your favorite recipes into the machine's electronic control panel for use later!

~Corey123.

I have access to a wonderful baker who uses a wood fired brick oven and makes superb artisinal breads...(the rye is only baked on Sundays at a lower temp than the rest of his oevre.) I have taken classes and own the Bread Bible should I move too far away...I'm ready to go it alone in my oven with a soapstone insert. Bread machine bread is fine, but it seems to lack the density and chew I want in a loaf.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom