"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-26-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Thumbs up How many of you own a bread machine?

I've just received the Zojirushi bread machine from Cooking.com on Friday!

And I've used it already. So far, I made two loaves of bread with it. I think it's a wonderful machine!

What do you think? Do any of you have this machine or another brand?

Let me know your thoughts and opinions, please. Thank you.

~Corey123.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I have a bread machine.. and actually I just ended up using it for the quick mixes, you find on the store shelf.. they do taste great... and are quick to just dump in... wish I used it more for scratch type bread, but every time I used it, the bread turned out... thick, and never rised much.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I, also, bought a quick mix for the machine.

But I like the pure pleasure of making bread from scratch! I've always been fastinated by bread making, even when I first started doing it in the late '60s!!

I do own two wonderful K'Aid Stand Mixers that are perfectly great for making bread dough. But at times, I just don't feel like messing up the kitchen with flour and oils and getting my hands all sticky with dough.

My Zojirushi machine does all the work for me, and you NEVER touch the raw dough at all! The only time your hands come in contact with it is when it's completely baked.

I don't care what ANYONE says, carbs or not, there is truly nothing quite like making your own bread and enjoying the finished product after it's baked right in your machine!! So good!!!

~Corey123.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I have a bread machine. I use it for making pizza dough and french bread dough that I finish in the oven. I have used it for making bread right in the machine, too. I have even made bagel dough! I love it!
Old 03-26-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
I have been thinking about getting an el cheapo one just for mixing the dough. I love making cinnamon rolls, bierocks, etc., but am not patient enough to make bread dough from scratch!! We don't really eat much sliced bread to ever have the machine cook it, unless I just really want to make the house smell wonderful..... Bread dough-pourri!!!! But the bagels sound good michelemarie!

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
We have a German made (Bifinet is the brand name, maybe Cara is familiar with it? Got it for 40 from Lidl!!), we use it quite often, but the slight problem is that sometimes it seems to have a mind of its own... the bread comes out perfect and wonderful at one time, but not at another, for no appearant reason. (I use the same recipe with fresh yeast)
The usual problem seems to be that the dough has been rising very well, then when it switches to the baking mode it crushes and sinks.
Is there an explanation? Or is it suggested that I just take it out and bake it in the conventional oven?
Old 03-26-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
Senior Cook

The sinking may be caused by too much liquid.

I had a Panasonic which died last month, after 15 years of very loyal and busy service. Because of such a great experience with Panasonic, I bought a new one similar to what I had. So far, after 2 loaves of Raisen Bread and 2 loaves of French Bread, I am very satisfied. One big difference was price. The old one was over $300 and the new one around $100. Hopefully, it will work for a long time.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:18 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I think I saw one that makes TWO loaves of bread simutaneously. Can't remember who makes it though.

And yes, my machine allows me to just MIX & KNEAD the dough if I want to do such things as pizza dough, cinnamon rolls, croissants, etc.. Do it this way cancels out the rising & baking feature.

~Corey123.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
I have a Breadman that we got for a wedding gift in 1997. I'm very happy with it. It does bread, dough & everything I want it to do.

I think the Zoji is the Cadillac of bread machines, from what I've heard.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:08 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
I've just received the Zojirushi bread machine from Cooking.com on Friday!

And I've used it already. So far, I made two loaves of bread with it. I think it's a wonderful machine!

What do you think? Do any of you have this machine or another brand?

Let me know your thoughts and opinions, please. Thank you.

~Corey123.
Corey,
I have a Zojirushi now for about 10 years. I don't use it much anymore as I enjoy making it by hand. I do use it for pizza dough when we are in the mood for it. I think the zoji is the best machine at least for me..I never had a problem with it..My main objection to B/M bread is the sizr of the loaf and the hole in the bottom..I'm sure you will enjoy your b/m for years to come..Have fun it's a good one.

kadesma