"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-17-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Question How many of you own an ice Cream Machine?

Ok, are there any of you out there who own an ice cream machine?

These machines come in three types and styles.

1. Manual & Electric with large ice bucket;

This machine comes either with a hand crank or and electric motor. A canister that holds the ice cream mixture sits in dead center on a small pivot.
Usually, this container is either a 4-qt. or a 6-qt. size. The bucket is either wooden or plastic.

You need rock salt and ice to freeze the mixture in the container. When the motor begins to labor, or when the hand crank becomes difficult to turn, it signifies that the mixture is frozen, but still soft enough to remove form the machine. The ice cream is usually eaten then or placed in containers for priming in the deep freezer. I had one of these. I owned it for 20 years. These go for about $60.00 to $80.00.

2. Manual and Electric freezer bowl models;

These are smaller machines that allow the production of about 1-qt. batches. The bowl that comes with these units are usually double-walled and contain a freezing chemical that's hermetically sealed within the confineds of this double wall.

You place the bowl in your freezer for about eight hours or overnight, letting the confined liquid freeze solid. The next day, you can then put this bowl into your machine, add the premade ice cream mixture, put the motor or hand crank on and begin the process of freezing the liquid to a semi solid form. you then eat it or place the prefrozen mixture into a container and place it in the freezer for priming.

The main drawback with these machines is that you must freeze the bowl again for another eight hours before you can make more ice cream unless you have a double-bowl machine. They run for about $40.00 to $60.00.

3. Self-contained machines;

These are regarded to as the Cadillac or King of ice cream machines! Cream of the crop!!
State of the art!!! Simply because they all have there own sealed refrigeration systems built right into the units, much like a small room air conditioner. I own one of these. They are a godsend, saving you the usual drudgery of work that's involved with the bucket-style machines that require salt & ice.

You do not need salt or ice, they are usually electronically operated, they have beeping signals to alert you when the ice cream is ready and you can leave the compressor on if you intend to make two or more batches of your favorite frozen treats. They also have timers to let you chose the amount of time to procees the ice cream.

The main advantage here is that you are not forced to wait for the stationary bowl to to refreeze for another batch. You do not have to have any salt or ice on hand as with the bucket-style machines.

The drawbacks though, are that these machines can be vary awkward and heavy. You must also plan to have plenty of space where you plan to use it, as they strongly demand a considerable amount of kitchen real estate.

And oh yes, they are very costly, ranging in price from $200.00 to a whopping $1,000.00 depending on the material used for the outer shell. Plastic-shell models (mine has one) go for between $200.00 to $400.00. Stainless-steel-shell models range in price from $600.00 to over $1,000.00.

KitchenAid has one that sits on the countertop and it looks quite similar to the commrecial-type soft-serve machines, which this one DOES make soft-serve ice cream. It's very expensive, costing a whopping
$1.200.00 or more!

You may also want to keep it in a permanent location to avoid having to carry it too often, as these units seem to weigh a ton. But they are so nice to have and convenient use in light of the few drawbacks!

~Corey123.

Old 12-18-2005, 12:43 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I have a basic Rival 4-qt electric motor ice cream maker, the kind that requires ice and salt. I make a good butter brickle, mint chocolate chip, vanilla, and cookies-n-cream. My family loves it when I make ice cream.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:53 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I, also, had a 4-qt. electric bucket-style ice cream maker. It was a White Mountain (now Rival) machine with the wooden bucket. I had it for over 20 years.

After a while, the thing started making this unbearable horrible rasping squeaky sound. I tried lubricating the motor, but it didn't help at all.

Two years ago is when I bought the self-contained Lello Gelato TSA-901, a $2000.00 machine from Chefs Catalog. I just threw out the old ice cream maker this summer. It still worked, but i just couldn't deal with that squeaking noise anymore.

In later years, Rival bought the manufacturing rights from White Mountain to start making that same machine. It still looks the same today.

~Corey123.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:15 AM   #4
Executive Chef

We have an electric churn type, a hand type (the cylinder goes in the freezer) and an electric one that the cylinder goes in the freezer. I like all of them, but we usually buy our ice cream.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:21 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I have not bought any ice cream since I've had the self-contained unit.

I still got some peach ice cream in the freezer that I made on the Fourth of July. Normally, that's when I make ice cream anyway - during the summer. But who's to say that you can't enjoy it in the winter also?

~Corey123.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I have a Cuisinart Electric freezer bowl type ice cream maker. It has worked well enough, the rare times I have used it. The problem is, it just isn't very interesting to make ice cream, so I rarely use it. If ice cream making required some skill, then maybe it would have gotten more use.

Still, I do like to whip up vanilla ice cream (I always have one or two big honking Tahitian vanilla beans in my pantry for special occasions) once in a while, and it is a cool little gadget to have.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
We have an ice cream machine - all I know is that it is a Rival - DH does ice cream - I just buy mine.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I have one of the Krups electric that has a cylinder that must be prefrozen. I haven't used it. My sister and I each bought one and she uses hers for frozen yogurt, but I just don't remember it until someone asks a question. I need to use it soon.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Wish I had an ice cream maker. I'm still waiting for my KitchenAid stand up mixer.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I just bought another K'Aid stand mixer to use with the existing one.

~Corey123.