How many use a deep fryer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We bought our fryer some months ago, we don't eat deep fried food too often, but when we do, it comes in very handy. It's safty feature prevents from the oil splashing about, and you can be sure of the oil temperature, and when you use a proper temp and you don't overcrowd it, the food turn out wonderfully crisp, also it is also better for you (just a bit...:rolleyes: ) as the food doesn't absorb too much oil while getting cooked.

The only hic-up is when the oil needs to be changed, I am never sure of what to do with them, I am not very good at pouring it back to the old bottle neatly, and for proper disposal I have to take it to a petrol station. (though many people just throw it in the dumpster...) It usually ends up as Cris's task...:neutral:

You're welcome, Barb L.!

urmaniac13, I own one of those giant electric turkey deep fryers.

You might have heard of it. It's called 'Turk N' Surf'. It can accommodate up to a 14-lb bird.

Anyway, I've used it once when I first got it, but the peanut oil from it is still around, so I'm storing it in a 5-gal bucket and I'm using it for everyday cooking so that it gets used up. It hasn't gone rancid yet.

But peanut oil IS INDEED ridiculously expensive, so I'm only going to buy it in small amounts.

If you can still use your oil or not, get a funnel to assist you in getting it back into the bottle. I saved my old big olive oil can just for this purpose, and use a large funnel to get the used oil into it. It works out good!:chef:

When I clean my fryer out, I drain the oil into the original container. All the sediment that settled gets wiped out into the trash. Then I wash the container with hot soapy water and a green scrubbie. No problems.

I have a Waring with a lid and temperature control. I love it, I use it outside on the patio, great for fish, chicken, veggies and I recycle the oil. Clean up is a snap, just filter the oil into the storage container, wash with soap and water. Cooking is great no mess or smell in the kitchen....

later

I saw a deep dryer being advertised on an infommercial over the weekend on the Food Network.

It looked to be a prety good size because it's said to take two small or one large basket. They all come with it.

The woman who did the Grip & Flip commercial does this show. But I'm not getting it.

I'd like to have a deep fryer, but I'm a little worried I'd go overboard and end up doing my health some damage.

Plus, I'm a klutz so I doubt it would be the safest idea in the world. I think, if I need to deep fry, I'll use a pot. Outside. With alot of sand nearby.

I have two of them, both counter top but one is pretty big, I use for parties and the small one we use on the regular bases. mostly for eggrolls, french fries, fried onins, sweet and sour chicken, etc.

Katie E said:
Why not? Come on, Corey. You're our original "gadget man." Don't disappoint us.

Uh-uh. Not a chance. You're not tempting me!

I already own two. Those infommercials, or paid programs, as they're called, are only there to tempt and entice people into buying their products or services.

When any of them are about to air, I quickly change the channel. They come on at 5am on weekday mornings and 4am on weekend monings on the Food Network.

Yes Quadlex and Charlie D., those things are a joy to use, but they can also have long-lasting dangerous effects if you use them a lot. Which is why I seldom use mine.

But if you just have to have something deep-fried,
used olive,canola or peanut oil. They are less fattening and have no trans fats.

Last edited:
Quadlex said:
I'd like to have a deep fryer, but I'm a little worried I'd go overboard and end up doing my health some damage.

If you get one of the professional deep fryers,
like this one ----->

you shouldn't have to worry about ruining your health. Draining it, taking it apart, and cleaning it after every use (it doesn't seal shut like the fry daddy types do, so you don't just leave the oil in it) will deter you from using it as often as you might think. I know I only drag mine out when I REALLY, DESPARATELY, want something deep fried.

I leave the oil in mine all the time, then after about six fries or so I change and clean it good. We're still kickin', doesn't mean I am right in doing this, but it works for me.

Caine said:
If you get one of the professional deep fryers,
like this one ----->

you shouldn't have to worry about ruining your health. Draining it, taking it apart, and cleaning it after every use (it doesn't seal shut like the fry daddy types do, so you don't just leave the oil in it) will deter you from using it as often as you might think. I know I only drag mine out when I REALLY, DESPARATELY, want something deep fried.

I think he means that if he gets a deep fryer, his health will be in danger from eating so much fried foods.

Corey123 said:
I think he means that if he gets a deep fryer, his health will be in danger from eating so much fried foods.

And I think I mean that, because of all the labor involved setting up, using, emptying, and cleaning said deep fryer, he wouldn't be using it as much as he thinks, therefore the danger to his health will be minimal. I know I always think at least twice, usually three or four times, about the cleanup that will be involved, before dragging out the deep fryer.

Probably the same reason why I don't use the Turk 'N Surf Turkey Fryer.

Too much of a hassle to clean it after use, even though it produces a beautifully golden deep fried turkey in only 45 minutes.

I've seen my dear late brother clean his fryer many times, and his is a propane-powered one. He's the one who got me started eating deep fried turkey!

Last edited:
I leave the oil in mine, too. To big of a mess to keep pouring it out, filtering it.. .whatever is the "proper" way to take care of it. I use that part peanut oil part something else from Wally World supposedly made for deep frying.

I bought one of those "professional" models last year from Amazon. It's a Waring Pro. Heats up fast and good recovery time, but other than that a piece of garbage. My old Tefal, the big round kind with the removeable filter, snap on lid.... was a much cleaner fryer to use and didn't leave the house smelling like grease. I bought the Waring to replace it, but I think I'm going to start using the Tefal one again. A lot fewer parts to keep clean, too. I threw all the parts from the Waring in the dishwasher on the pots and pans cycle and I might as well have saved the effort. I still haven't found that DPD around here, yet, but haven't been to Wally World recently, so I may luck out and find it there.

I didn't know that there really is a Wally World. I thought that it was just something made up in the movie Nat'l Lampoons Vacation.

Anyway, all this talk about deep fryers is making me get a hankering for something deep fried!

Katie E, the deep fryer that I saw on the infommercial last week looks similar to the one pictured above, BTW.

Last edited:
WallyWorld, previously used as a substitute for DisneyLand for National Lampoon's Vacation (although the amusement park part of the movie was actually filmed at Magic Mountain), was recoined, by yours truly, on the old FoodTV Forums as a euphemism for Wal-Mart. I have also been known to refer to K-Mart as Martha-Mart, for obvious reasons.

Another consideration before dragging out your turkey deep fryer setup might just be your homeowners insurance premiums. Do you have any idea how many people burn down their houses, or their garages, every Thanksgiving trying to deep fry a turkey?

Back
Top Bottom