"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #61
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
BTW, Corey, you know you can put water in that pot instead of oil, along with crabs, shrimps, crawdads, onions, garlic, artichokes, potatoes, corn on the cob, and a box of Zatarain's Crawfish, Shrimp and Crab Boil, and make a great seafood boil, right?

Old 04-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #62
Executive Chef

I thought that might have been what they did as well.

Didn't know that was the nickname for Wal-mart.

I've already done a turkey in the trukey fryer, and it's an electric one. I do however, have a much smaller cooker that can also be used as a deep fryer - the Presto Options Multi-Cooker. It came with a deep fry basket.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:25 AM   #63
Head Chef

I have a Delonghi deep fryer and it doesn't seem to get hot enough - anybody else with that problem?
Old 04-14-2007, 04:23 AM   #64
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
BTW, Corey, you know you can put water in that pot instead of oil, along with crabs, shrimps, crawdads, onions, garlic, artichokes, potatoes, corn on the cob, and a box of Zatarain's Crawfish, Shrimp and Crab Boil, and make a great seafood boil, right?

Yes.

The Turk N' Surf can do that very easily. But it's only practical to do that for a crowd of about 12 or more.

The Presto Options Multi-Cooker can do a much smaller junior-size version of that for only two to three people.

Both have a basket so that the cooked seafood and veggies can be lifted out easily.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:23 AM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

That two basket feep fryer in the pic looks like the one QVC had on last Sunday. It came with one large basket as well.
Alton Brown did a special on using a turkey fryer. He rigged up a ladder and pulley system for lowering the bird into the oil, outside of course, so you didn't have to get close to things. Looked like way too much bother to me, but then I like my turkey done the old fashioned way... in the oven.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
That two basket feep fryer in the pic looks like the one QVC had on last Sunday. It came with one large basket as well.
Alton Brown did a special on using a turkey fryer. He rigged up a ladder and pulley system for lowering the bird into the oil, outside of course, so you didn't have to get close to things. Looked like way too much bother to me, but then I like my turkey done the old fashioned way... in the oven.

Two things:

That deep fryer seems to be getting around a lot, possibly under different brand names. It seems to be popping up everywhere! I think Presto also has one that's similar to that one on their website.

Yeah, I also saw Brown do that not too long ago.

I also, still like turkey roasted in the oven. I plan to do that with a turkey breast the last Sunday of the month as a belated Easter dinner to myself.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #67
Certified Pretend Chef

Alton brown offers some good food science but that turkey frying rig was a hoot. I can't imagine anyone actually doing that or that it is even necessary. A modicum of caution and you will have no problems.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #68
Sous Chef

I gave away our DF FRyer at the end of last year as we so very seldom used it.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #69
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Alton brown offers some good food science but that turkey frying rig was a hoot. I can't imagine anyone actually doing that or that it is even necessary. A modicum of caution and you will have no problems.

Yeah, at times, I think he and his 13-year-old nephew turn that show into sort of a chemistry or culinary arts show, the way they talk and make stuff.

He probably just did that rig for the turkey fryer as a show-off, or to make it process seem so complicated!

csalt, why on earth did you do that? You said that you seldom use it, but I think it's better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it. I seldom use mine also, but guess what? I'll NEVER part with either of them!
Old 04-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

I liked that smoker he came up with, too, with the hot plate. Spent all day looking for a couple of jumbo sized clay pots, but in my area they turn to plastic when the shops get into the larger sizes. He's a hoot all right.