How many use a deep fryer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTW, Corey, you know you can put water in that pot instead of oil, along with crabs, shrimps, crawdads, onions, garlic, artichokes, potatoes, corn on the cob, and a box of Zatarain's Crawfish, Shrimp and Crab Boil, and make a great seafood boil, right?

I thought that might have been what they did as well.

Didn't know that was the nickname for Wal-mart.

I've already done a turkey in the trukey fryer, and it's an electric one. I do however, have a much smaller cooker that can also be used as a deep fryer - the Presto Options Multi-Cooker. It came with a deep fry basket.

Caine said:
BTW, Corey, you know you can put water in that pot instead of oil, along with crabs, shrimps, crawdads, onions, garlic, artichokes, potatoes, corn on the cob, and a box of Zatarain's Crawfish, Shrimp and Crab Boil, and make a great seafood boil, right?

Yes.

The Turk N' Surf can do that very easily. But it's only practical to do that for a crowd of about 12 or more.

The Presto Options Multi-Cooker can do a much smaller junior-size version of that for only two to three people.

Both have a basket so that the cooked seafood and veggies can be lifted out easily.

That two basket feep fryer in the pic looks like the one QVC had on last Sunday. It came with one large basket as well.
Alton Brown did a special on using a turkey fryer. He rigged up a ladder and pulley system for lowering the bird into the oil, outside of course, so you didn't have to get close to things. Looked like way too much bother to me, but then I like my turkey done the old fashioned way... in the oven.

pacanis said:
That two basket feep fryer in the pic looks like the one QVC had on last Sunday. It came with one large basket as well.
Alton Brown did a special on using a turkey fryer. He rigged up a ladder and pulley system for lowering the bird into the oil, outside of course, so you didn't have to get close to things. Looked like way too much bother to me, but then I like my turkey done the old fashioned way... in the oven.

Two things:

That deep fryer seems to be getting around a lot, possibly under different brand names. It seems to be popping up everywhere! I think Presto also has one that's similar to that one on their website.

Yeah, I also saw Brown do that not too long ago.

I also, still like turkey roasted in the oven. I plan to do that with a turkey breast the last Sunday of the month as a belated Easter dinner to myself.

Alton brown offers some good food science but that turkey frying rig was a hoot. I can't imagine anyone actually doing that or that it is even necessary. A modicum of caution and you will have no problems.

I gave away our DF FRyer at the end of last year as we so very seldom used it.

Andy M. said:
Alton brown offers some good food science but that turkey frying rig was a hoot. I can't imagine anyone actually doing that or that it is even necessary. A modicum of caution and you will have no problems.

Yeah, at times, I think he and his 13-year-old nephew turn that show into sort of a chemistry or culinary arts show, the way they talk and make stuff.

He probably just did that rig for the turkey fryer as a show-off, or to make it process seem so complicated!

csalt, why on earth did you do that? You said that you seldom use it, but I think it's better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it. I seldom use mine also, but guess what? I'll NEVER part with either of them!

I liked that smoker he came up with, too, with the hot plate. Spent all day looking for a couple of jumbo sized clay pots, but in my area they turn to plastic when the shops get into the larger sizes. He's a hoot all right.

In one of the episodes, he also made a mean prime rib roast in an old-timey stove oven!

Only thing was that it was just too rare in the middle. I would have preferred it more done than that.

The brand name of the deep fryer that I saw demonstrated in the infommercial is Euro Pro. It was on again Saturday morning.

Last edited:
Euro Pro are American made products designed to mimic their European counterparts. From reviews I have read, and personal experience, they do not do a very good job of it. Well, they do visually, but not functionally.

I don't have and never bought any of this brand's products that I can remember. I always did think that it was a low-quality brand.

Back
Top Bottom