"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Question How many watts should I get for...

i am getting an electric stand mixer and am shopping online. i do not know how much wattage to get.

there is a
325 watt...tilt-head...5 qt...10 speed...kitchen aide...for $300
or there is a
600 watt...tilt-head...6 qt...10 speed...slow start...wolf gang puck...for $300

so that got me to wondering...how many watts should i have?

i figure wolf's is more wattage because it is 1 qt larger of a mixing bowl.

is 325 really good wattage for family-sized batches of bread, cookie dough and the like?
if so, i would be happy with it, but i do not want to get it and be disappointed and have to go thru the process of returning it and shopping for another.
i want my 1st choice to be the right choice, and that is why i am coming to my DC friends for to light my path!

note...i figure i want kitchen aide brand.

also, im looking on bestbuy dot com. the best color for me so far on bestbuy dot come is the Pistachio color; however, i would like to find a really retro-looking green color...like avacado. pistachio is the closest i've found so far. any direction you can give me on that?

Old 12-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I would buy neither.

I would recommend a Kitchen Aid but one of higher wattage. They are a number of higher wattage models that range up to 600 watts. I don't think you necessarily need a 600 watts but should have more than 325 Watts.

I have heard negative reports about the Puck mixer.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Senior Cook

andy, could you direct me to where i should go to shop for it (preferrably on line)? i am wanting to not go over 300. if over it, not very much over.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacarr View Post
andy, could you direct me to where i should go to shop for it (preferrably on line)? i am wanting to not go over 300. if over it, not very much over.
I bought mine at Costco about 8 years ago for $240.00 (350 Watts). I use it to make big batches of bagels and it struggles a little with big batch of dough. That's why I suggested a higher wattage.

I haven't shopped online for one. It might be worth shopping locally and at the Costco type stores around the holidays.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I just did a quick search and found this: KitchenAid KV25G0X Stand Mixer, 5 Qt. Pro 5 Plus - Mixers Stand Mixers & Attachments KitchenAid - Kitchen - Macy's
Old 12-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Depending on color you are looking for Amazon.com: KitchenAid KP26M1XCV Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer, Caviar Gloss: Kitchen & Dining
Old 12-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Master Chef

I just picked up the KA 6qt 600 a couple of weeks ago for kneading pizza & bread dough. I like it so far.
One thing with larger capacity mixers is that they won't do a good job at kneading small batches.

BTW, that Amazon deal posted above for $299 is a good deal now. Plus, I believe you get a $50 rebate from KA on top of that.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Yesterday, at Khols (Department store chain), the 6-quart 575 watt Professional KA stand mixer was on sale - regularly $499, on sale for $399. I had a 15% off coupon ($60), and a $20 "Khols Cash" deduction, bringing the price down to $320. We decided to go ahead and get it. When they rang it up, I got the paperwork for a $50 rebate! So, my beautiful new (red) KA mixer will end up costing me $270! And yesterday morning, I didn't even know I wanted one! haha
Old 12-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda123 View Post
Yesterday, at Khols (Department store chain), the 6-quart 575 watt Professional KA stand mixer was on sale - regularly $499, on sale for $399. I had a 15% off coupon ($60), and a $20 "Khols Cash" deduction, bringing the price down to $320. We decided to go ahead and get it. When they rang it up, I got the paperwork for a $50 rebate! So, my beautiful new (red) KA mixer will end up costing me $270! And yesterday morning, I didn't even know I wanted one! haha
Now THAT'S a deal!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #10
Head Chef

I think what we must understand here is that the 575 watts is input power.

Meaning the power coming into the motor from the electrical outlet. It does not relate in any way to the torque power that the beaters exude.

You can't tell anything about a mixer's torque from input wattage except you are using up a great deal of electricity going into the mixer.

You take one mixer listed as 575 watts, and another listed as 1000 watts, and yet another mixer listed as 200 watts.

It is normal to think the 200 watt mixer is underpowered.

But depending on the motor and beater configuration and gearing, the 200 watt mixer may be the "most powerful" of them all.

The mixer's torque is another question entirely from wattage, and torque is the true POWER.

Now an expert motor engineer can tell you why this is true, but I can't. I just know it is true.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote