How to clean soot off microwave walls??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
To make a long story short, I was heating something up in the microwave when a small fire took place ( inside the microwave).

The microwave functions perfectly, nothing melted, it was as a result of what happened inside the microwave, not any of the functional components which makes the microwave work.

Although cosmetic, the inside of the microwave is now ugly with soot covered walls.

Basic scrubbing didn't help much.

Any suggested methods or products which may help ??

Larry

Attachments

• Microwave.jpg
    Microwave.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 690
+1 with the Magic Eraser. If you don't have one or until you can get one, why not try a dampened cloth and baking soda on the sooty area. Also, if you have it, a little Bar Keepers Friend might take care of it, too. Good luck. Hope it looks like new soon.

To make a long story short, I was heating something up in the microwave when a small fire took place ( inside the microwave).

The microwave functions perfectly, nothing melted, it was as a result of what happened inside the microwave, not any of the functional components which makes the microwave work.

Although cosmetic, the inside of the microwave is now ugly with soot covered walls.

Basic scrubbing didn't help much.

Any suggested methods or products which may help ??

Larry
Larry, have you had it checked over by an electrician? It might be a good idea as we don't want to hear that you've been microwaved.

The possibility exits the paint is burned rather than just soot covered. In that case, it's not coming off.

I love the Magic Eraser. :clap: Those things really are magic sometimes with what they can get off. :sorcerer:

Bar Keepers Friend or an abrasive cleaner like Comet would be my first choice. You might even try a polishing compound.

One thing that might help is to boil some water in it before you start cleaning. The hot moisture distributed on the walls helps in cleaning. I do this before I sponge it out and the yuck comes off much easier and I need less cleaning product.

Now come on and fess up to the cause of the fire. ;)

Was it a science experiment gone wrong :eek: or something more mundane like too long a cooking time or something flammable like a paper towel put in by mistake. :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm only asking for safety reasons for the benefit of the posters here.:angel:
I'd like to know so I have a chance of avoiding the same fate.

Besides you know we all want the juicy story of another's misadventure. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom