How to keep an induction range top from becoming scuffed, scratched, etc.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexR

Senior Cook
Hi,

We are putting in a new kitchen, and I'd dearly love it to last for many years.

I've never had an induction range before, but everyone sings its praises...

Fine.

But, I'm worried about maintaining the top in good condition. Everywhere I go, I see tops that have been abraded, dulled, and showing their age.
Does anyone know how to protect the range, and put this off as long as possible?

Presumably, replacing the top is a very expensive proposition.

Best regards,
Alex R.

First of all, not all cookware works on an induction range so make sure yours does.

I think the temptation with a flat top range is to slide cookware around rather than to lift it and set in down. That's what will cause scratches. As with anything, if you take good care of your stuff it lasts longer.

You can buy polish/cleaners for glass tops. Even when I get lazy and allow burnt crud to accumulate, the polish and a 3M green scour pad brings it back to new, it just takes more elbow work to scour off some of the stubborn burned on stuff. Best care is to frequently clean the top after use.

Interesting. Care to elaborate?

Nah.

Oh, OK. Induction ranges only work with metal pans that are magnetic. If a magnet won't stick to the bottom of your pan, it won't work on an induction range. So anodized aluminum, corning ware, Visions, and I'm not sure about enameled cast iron.

Interesting. Care to elaborate?

If I remember correctly, Rock, it has to do with the contact area the bottoms of the cookware have with the stovetop surface. In other words, cookware with a somewhat rounded bottom does not do well/isn't appropriate for induction ranges.

But I think Andy has the right answer and I may be confusing induction ranges with another type of appliance.

Last edited:
I believe this thread has some misunderstandings here. There is a difference between a glass top stove and an induction stove. Glass top stoves do require the flat bottom cookware. The induction stove like Andy says does require the pans to be magnetic in order for induction.

Back
Top Bottom