How to use an electric stove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaydenDaniel

Assistant Cook
I’m planning to surprise my girlfriend abroad with some home cooked meals when I visit her, and I just don’t know how to use one of those electric stoves. When she first invited me to her home after the Asian dating social we attended, I noticed that she uses an electric stove rather than the usual one that uses gas. I was planning on surprising her by cooking her breakfast in the morning but I’m kind of skeptical with my cooking abilities when using an electric one. Need some help!

You’re talking about a standard size electric oven, right? Not one of those toaster oven thingies I used to have in Japan. It has coils on the bottom for baking, and coils on the top for broiling...

There’s really no difference. You preheat the oven using the oven temperature dial, and then bake. It takes the coils a bit longer than a gas flame to come to temperature. But I’ve never seen an instruction in a recipe saying “if using an electric oven...”

The difference between gas and eletric, is it takes longer to reach the heat with eletric. So if you are using the hob, then you set the eletric plate on the middle setting, add the pan wait a little and add bit butter ( if you are using it) and when that sizzles you use the pan or with no butter, just hold hand 10 cm over and feel if it is hot.

If you're going to make her breakfast, I assume you'll be using a skillet on top of her electric stove? If you are used to cooking with gas, just remember you don't have instant heat control like you do with gas. It takes longer to heat up and cool down.
If the pan gets too hot for what you're cooking, just take it off the burner till it has time to cool down.

It takes longer to heat up and cool down.
If the pan gets too hot for what you're cooking, just take it off the burner till it has time to cool down.
Good advice..you have less control of the temps for sure...when using electric, I recall rarely using full heat unless boiling water..it can get pretty hot and if something is in the pan it can over cook quickly..

If you're going to make her breakfast, I assume you'll be using a skillet on top of her electric stove? If you are used to cooking with gas, just remember you don't have instant heat control like you do with gas. It takes longer to heat up and cool down.
This assumes electric coil, rather than induction.

Back
Top Bottom