I am buying a slow cooker!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone have a good porridge recipe for a slow cooker?

I've read in another (anti-crockpot) thread that newer slow cookers tend to get overhot in comparison with old ones. Seeing as this is a pro-crockpot thread, do you have solutions for dealing with this?

I'd love to buy one, but what with all my other gadgets (though even my partner recognises they are all well used) I need to be able to justify to myself that it would be worth it.

Porridge or oatmeal, as it is called at times, is basically a quick-cookiing breakfast cereal. I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Why would you want to use a slow cooker for that?

~Corey123.

If a bit of research is done on United Kingdome cusine, you will find that porridge can be more than just cooked oatmeal. Like you, I was raised with the notion that porridge and oatmeal are synonimous. But in fact, oatmeal is just one kind of porridge.

Porridge is by definition, a cooked grain usually oats or barley. It can contain other grains such as wheat kernals and such, and can be flavored with savory items such as poultry based broths, venison, pork, or the meat of your choice, and seasoned with salt, pepper, sage, etc. It is thick, but still flows like a liquid.

Porridge was often kept in a pot over the fireplace continually, with the days food from hunting, gathering, or purchasing thrown in to extend the amount. It was inexpensive and made cooking chores easy when stoves were not a household item.

As far as crock-pot recipes go, throw some good bones in, like a turkey carcas, or some beef soup bones. Extract all of the flavor and nutrients you can from them, then remove (strain) the bones out and put the liquid back into the pot. Add rice, oatmeal, and barley in sufficient quantity to produce an oatmeal like consistancy. Add any comnbination of onions, carrots, garlic, chopped cabbage, and herbs and spices to taste.

Or make the porridge from oats and barley, with fruit juice used as the liquid, and fuit chunks added. Flavor with cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, allspice, or whatever you think would work well in the porridge. Serve hot with whipped cream on top.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I've also been told that cornmeal mush - which we ate as kids, and Cream of Wheat, Farina or similar hot cereals are also descibed as porridge.

Not sure if there's any truth to that.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
Porridge or oatmeal, as it is called at times, is basically a quick-cookiing breakfast cereal. I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Why would you want to use a slow cooker for that?

I've also been told that cornmeal mush - which we ate as kids, and Cream of Wheat, Farina or similar hot cereals are also descibed as porridge.

Not sure if there's any truth to that.

~Corey123.

Porridge is: "A thick, puddinglike dish made of cereal or grain (usually oatmeal) cooked in water or milk. Porridge is usually eaten hot for breakfast with sugar and milk or cream." According to The New Food Lover's Companion, Second Edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst

So - based on that definition ... cornmeal mush (aka polenta in Italy), Cream of Wheat (aka Farina in Italy), oatmeal, Malt-O-Meal, Cream of Rice, etc. are all porridge.

As for cooking oats ... not all oats are quick cooking. You obviously missed Alton Brown's episode Oat Cuisine .... here is his recipe for Overnight Oatmeal which is cooked in a slow cooker - overnight.

Snoop Puss said:
Does anyone have a good porridge recipe for a slow cooker?

I've read in another (anti-crockpot) thread that newer slow cookers tend to get overhot in comparison with old ones. Seeing as this is a pro-crockpot thread, do you have solutions for dealing with this? <snip>

In the old days (circa 1970) when Rival's Crock-Pot was first introduced it had one temp - about 200-F - and you plugged it in to turn it on and unplugged it to turn it off. Then they came out with the second generation which had High-Low settings ... High was about 300-F, Low was still about 200-F. Now they have adjustable temps and timers that will shift to Warm when the food should be done (the time you programed into it). I have seen some other brands of slow cookers that have user adjustable variable temperature contols that allow you to set a temperature anywhere between about 150-F and 350/400-F.

I have heard some people complain that the thermostats in some of the new pots don't seem to work properly. Other people don't seem to have any problems with them. You could always get one ... fill it half full of water ... and then check the temp after about 4 hours to see if the thermostat is off. My only other suggestion would be is that if a recipe doesn't specify High or Low setting - use Low ... especially if the cooking time is supposed to be 8-9 hours.

Here are a ton of free Crockpot/Slow Cooker recipes.

Thanks Michael in FtW for your excellent advice and the recipe link. I live in Spain - it's impossible to buy quick-cooking oats here. Like much of Spain, it is actually very cold where I live in the mornings in winter and I'd love to be able to start the day with porridge but not have to hang around making it! And thanks for the advice re temperature controls. Slow cookers are not sold here in Spain and I was thinking of getting one from Amazon and having it brought over by a friend in her car. I think, after seeing your reply, I'd better go and have a look at them in shops rather than just buying them after reading specs online.

Doesn't oatmeal tend to get slimy as it sits or cooks?

This is why I have to eat it within minutes after it's cooked. Or else it gets slimy like okra and I won't want to eat it.

~Corey123.

I guess you've got little to lose by trying Alton Brown's recipe that Michael recommends. The kind of oats you use might make a difference.

Well, I mainly like Maypo.

"I want my Maypo!" The Quaker Oats I mainly use to make oatmeal cookies, bread or meat loaf.

~Corey123.

Snoop Puss said:
Thanks Michael in FtW for your excellent advice and the recipe link. I live in Spain - it's impossible to buy quick-cooking oats here. Like much of Spain, it is actually very cold where I live in the mornings in winter and I'd love to be able to start the day with porridge but not have to hang around making it! And thanks for the advice re temperature controls. Slow cookers are not sold here in Spain and I was thinking of getting one from Amazon and having it brought over by a friend in her car. I think, after seeing your reply, I'd better go and have a look at them in shops rather than just buying them after reading specs online.

If you want to make a porridge that can heat you up use buckwheat, as it's properties, (especially the mineral magnesium), helps warm the body. If you try it, heat/temperature wise, you will be glad you did.

ohhh love my slow cooker, let me know if your ever looking for a recipe... just upgraded mine this christmas, got a huge one...

I'm making my first chicken recipe in a crock pot tonight. I found a book at the library called "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker", and it has recipes for all sorts of porridges, cakes, and of course soups, vegetable dishes, roasts etc. What I really like about it is that quite a lot of the meat recipes in this book do not call for browning first. I am interested in learning how to use this appliance because I thought I could start dinner in the morning, before work, and get home and it's almost ready. I didn't want to deal with smoke and grease and dishes first.
I'd be interested in that pre-cooking pork-ribs recipe (Michael?).
Tonight's chicken recipe is just lemon, garlic & herbs (& a little chicken boullion, & pepper) and some new potatoes.

Trip said:
ohhh love my slow cooker, let me know if your ever looking for a recipe... just upgraded mine this christmas, got a huge one...

Please post your favorite crockpot recipe...

Regards Bri...
A Canadian... Me too, eh!

Sandyj said:
"Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker", and it has recipes for all sorts of porridges, cakes, and of course soups, vegetable dishes, roasts etc.

I'd love to see one of the cake recipes*.

[You could put the ingredients without vialating copyright, but for the discription you would have to ask the author for permission, or decribe the procedures in your own words.]

K'Aid has a nice looking 7-qt. oblong slow cooker, but it cost about $150.00!

I think I'll just use my Rival BBQ Pit for pot roasts that are too big for the regular size slow cooker.

~Corey123.

I make a ton of stuff in my slow cooker, alot of the time its just "Whats in the fridge stew" but my favorite is probibly my pot roast...
1 2 - 2 1/2 lb boneless beef chuck pot roast
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 lb whole, small new potatoes
8 carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
(hubby likes onions so sometimes add some but they don't like me so usually don't)
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 beef boulillon cubes (did I spell that right???)
1 tsp basil, crushed
1/2 cup cold water
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper

1.Trim fat from roast. In a large skillet brown meat on all sides in hot oil. Drain fat.
2. remove narrow strip of peal from center of each new potato. PLace potatoes, carrots, and onions if using in cooker. Place meat over veggies.
3. In a small bowl combine 3/4 cup water, worcestershire, boullion cubes, and basil. Pour over meat and veggies.
4. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 - 12 hours or on high 5 - 6 hours.
5. Transfer meat and veggies to a serving platter, reserving juices; cover meat and keep warm. Poor juices into a measuring cup; skim off the fat. For gravy, measure 1 1/2 cup juices, adding water if necessary. Transfer to saucepan. Combine cold water and flour; stir with juices. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 more minute. Season gravy to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with meat and veggies.

Not the most glamourous but I like to make it when my parents are coming over, they get the deer in the headlights look when I try something "new" on them... Tried a tenderloin recipe recipe that was good, just having trouble finding it...

Sounds lusciuos & delicious! I think I'll try this recipe next time I do a pot roast!!

Corey123.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom