"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove
Thanks for the great link!

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #52
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
I'm pre-cooking pork ribs, that will later be put on the barbicue, in mine right now.

My only problem with the crock pot, the handles on the heating unit are too flimsy. I broke a perfectly good crock pot when the carrying handle broke, and the whole thing dumped a batch of chicken soup onto my living room carpet. the ceramic insert shattered on the floor. I had made the soup for a pot-luck. I wasn't happy. That one was made by Rival.

I now have a G.E. slow cooker. And the handle has broken on that one too, but I was careful with it and didn't spill anything. I still use it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I had the same problem with my last Rival CP, but I have one of the newer models. I don't carry it around in the heating unit when it's full though. I take out the crock...

Aad Sach Sing

- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
Old 05-16-2006, 10:49 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Quizzie
I also have a G.E. They are very relaible and addicting. I have not heard of making a cake in one. But, I have seen a cobbler made. I keep mine on the countertop. I use it at least once-twice a week. It is good for boiling chickens
I have been known to put frozen chicken or pieces in mine. I arrive home from work, hours later, to a seasoned de-boned chicken... and ready to use.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:09 AM   #54
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMorin
Can you make it switch in both directions, high to low as well as low to high, for instance?
Nope it only goes in one direction.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:29 AM   #55
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizzie
I also have a G.E. They are very relaible and addicting. I have not heard of making a cake in one. But, I have seen a cobbler made. I keep mine on the countertop. I use it at least once-twice a week. It is good for boiling chickens
I have been known to put frozen chicken or pieces in mine. I arrive home from work, hours later, to a seasoned de-boned chicken... and ready to use.
I found rice pudding recipes that I love. they are easy to make in the crock pot and you come home to a nice smell in the house and a great treat. Hummmm I think its time I did some more rice pudding before the crockpot moves away and I have to buy my own.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:58 PM   #56
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticKatt
I found rice pudding recipes that I love. they are easy to make in the crock pot and you come home to a nice smell in the house and a great treat. Hummmm I think its time I did some more rice pudding before the crockpot moves away and I have to buy my own.
I like to make tapioca pudding in mine. It's a snap!

Aad Sach Sing

Old 05-17-2006, 06:53 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

Oh, I've had one for years.

When Rival first introduced them back in the mid to late '70's, I bought one of theirs. It's great for slow cooking tough fiberous pot roasts and tough cuts on meat to tender juicy perfection!! Great for soups and stews as well!!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #58
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Oh, I've had one for years.

When Rival first introduced then back in the mid to late '70's, I bought one of theirs. It's great for slow cooking though fiberous pot roasts and though cuts on meat to tender juicy perfection!! Great for soups and stews as well!!
As far as flesh goes, I only eat chicken, fish and sea food. I have never really liked red meat. Hamburger or minced is ok, but you don't need a slow cooker for that. It's been 15 years since I've had an beef. But, back to the slow cooker, it really does a great job on chicken too, as well as making soups - vegie, been, chicken and rice and the like...

Aad Sach Sing

Old 05-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #59
Senior Cook

Almost forgot. This is one of my fav' recipies for the crock.

Crock Pot "Ghee"
or
Clairified butter

In a 4 qt crock pot add four pounds of unsalted butter. Turn on medium. Let cook for about 12 to 14 hours. Strain out the solids, and retain the nice golden yellow liquid. We us it, almost exclusively in place of butter.

Aad Sach Sing

Old 05-19-2006, 12:17 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMorin
jkath;

I've never seen a cake recipe done in a slow cooker. I suppose one could do a quick bread in it too?

Thanks for a new idea, for me...

Neither have I and I don't think I'd want to try that. I don't think it would come out right.

~Corey123.