"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #71
Senior Cook

ohhh love my slow cooker, let me know if your ever looking for a recipe... just upgraded mine this christmas, got a huge one...

Old 06-03-2006, 06:27 PM   #72
Sous Chef

I'm making my first chicken recipe in a crock pot tonight. I found a book at the library called "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker", and it has recipes for all sorts of porridges, cakes, and of course soups, vegetable dishes, roasts etc. What I really like about it is that quite a lot of the meat recipes in this book do not call for browning first. I am interested in learning how to use this appliance because I thought I could start dinner in the morning, before work, and get home and it's almost ready. I didn't want to deal with smoke and grease and dishes first.
I'd be interested in that pre-cooking pork-ribs recipe (Michael?).
Tonight's chicken recipe is just lemon, garlic & herbs (& a little chicken boullion, & pepper) and some new potatoes.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #73
Executive Chef

Sounds really delicious!!

~Corey123.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #74
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
ohhh love my slow cooker, let me know if your ever looking for a recipe... just upgraded mine this christmas, got a huge one...

Please post your favorite crockpot recipe...

Regards Bri...
A Canadian... Me too, eh!

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:30 PM   #75
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyj
"Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker", and it has recipes for all sorts of porridges, cakes, and of course soups, vegetable dishes, roasts etc.
I'd love to see one of the cake recipes*.

[You could put the ingredients without vialating copyright, but for the discription you would have to ask the author for permission, or decribe the procedures in your own words.]

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #76
Executive Chef

K'Aid has a nice looking 7-qt. oblong slow cooker, but it cost about $150.00!

I think I'll just use my Rival BBQ Pit for pot roasts that are too big for the regular size slow cooker.

~Corey123.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:34 PM   #77
Senior Cook

I make a ton of stuff in my slow cooker, alot of the time its just "Whats in the fridge stew" but my favorite is probibly my pot roast...
1 2 - 2 1/2 lb boneless beef chuck pot roast
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 lb whole, small new potatoes
8 carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
(hubby likes onions so sometimes add some but they don't like me so usually don't)
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 beef boulillon cubes (did I spell that right???)
1 tsp basil, crushed
1/2 cup cold water
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper

1.Trim fat from roast. In a large skillet brown meat on all sides in hot oil. Drain fat.
2. remove narrow strip of peal from center of each new potato. PLace potatoes, carrots, and onions if using in cooker. Place meat over veggies.
3. In a small bowl combine 3/4 cup water, worcestershire, boullion cubes, and basil. Pour over meat and veggies.
4. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 - 12 hours or on high 5 - 6 hours.
5. Transfer meat and veggies to a serving platter, reserving juices; cover meat and keep warm. Poor juices into a measuring cup; skim off the fat. For gravy, measure 1 1/2 cup juices, adding water if necessary. Transfer to saucepan. Combine cold water and flour; stir with juices. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 more minute. Season gravy to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with meat and veggies.

Not the most glamourous but I like to make it when my parents are coming over, they get the deer in the headlights look when I try something "new" on them... Tried a tenderloin recipe recipe that was good, just having trouble finding it...
Old 06-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #78
Executive Chef

Sounds lusciuos & delicious! I think I'll try this recipe next time I do a pot roast!!

Corey123.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:40 PM   #79
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
upgrade cp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
how huge is huge? I'm curious