"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-01-2005, 07:53 AM   #1
Head Chef

I am buying a slow cooker!!

This forum has opened my eyes to the joys of having a Crock Pot (Slow cooker) My mum had one when I was a child but they have all of a sudden made a comeback and I thought it would be perfect for me since I work full time. Tonight I went and did a paid market research thing and got $80 so tomorrow after school I am going out to get my new toy. I am really excited and wanted to share it with people who wouldn't think I was crazy!!! I'd ask about brands but US is different to here. From what I have researched online we have Breville, Sunbeam and Tiffany. I was really interested in the thread about size, I have decided to get a big one cause as a number of people said you can cook small amounts in a big cooker but not vice versa.

Old 08-01-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
Senior Cook

my mum has one she loves i dont know what brand it is but it has pictures of vegetables on the outside and its newish....

(i remember all the important stuff!)

Old 08-01-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

It is such a great tool mrsmac. You will really love using it. The biggest brand for Crock Pots here in the US is Rival. I do not know if you have that there or maybe if it goes by a different name possibly. Let us know how you like your new toy

Here is a nice recipe to get you started...

Crockpot Lentils and Sausage

1 (16 ounce) package dry lentils
1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
2 (10.75 ounce) cans water
1 carrot, chopped
2 pounds kielbasa (Polish) sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 stalk celery, chopped

1 Rinse and drain lentils, but do not soak. In a slow cooker, stir together the lentils, tomatoes, broth, water, carrot, sausage and celery.

2 Cover, and cook on High setting for 3 hours, or Low setting for 6 to 7 hours.

3 Stir well before serving.

I think when I made this it looked like too much liquid so I actually cut the liquid down quite a lot. I don't remember exactly though. You could try cutting the liquid in half and I am sure that would be OK.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:57 AM   #4
Master Chef

i'm glad that you're getting an item that you want for your kitchen!
i love slow cookers. there's this 1-qt. one that i like the best cause i usually just cook for myself. the big one is nice, too, though. you can just cook so many things in them.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #5
Head Chef

We don't have Rival here, I think I'm going to go with the Breville. Are there any features anyone has found really useful???
Thanks too for the recipe GB and thankyou for explaining what kielbasa is its been bothering me!!!
Luvs I wish they had them in pink cause thats what I'd get but silver or white with vegies on it seems my only option.
Little Miss J (that makes me think of my daughter cause she's Jessica) your mum prob. has the Breville or the Tiffany from what I can gather. Could you please ask her what she thinks of it?
Thanks again everybody
Old 08-01-2005, 05:27 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

There is one Crock Pot here that has a cool feature, but I doubt you will find this in any others (and of course it is a Rival which you don't have there). The Crock of this particular model can go from stove top to crock pot so you can brown your meat in the same cooking vessel instead of having to brown in one and then move it to the crock pot. Short of that, I like that on mine I can set it to cook on high or low for a particular amount of time (in 30 minute increments) and once it hits that time it switches to a warming mode.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:14 PM   #7
Executive Chef

My wife uses hers a lot and it works great for pork roast. She browns the meat first then puts it in the cooker. Great for pulled pork sandwiches.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I use my slow cooker when I do big batches of chicken or beef or pork for enchilladas or tacos, the one feature i love is that the crock itself is removable and can be washed in the dishwasher...Enjoy your cooker it's wonderful

kadesma
Old 08-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah being dishwasher safe is a HUGE plus as most things get baked on pretty good.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:57 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
[QUOTE=luvs_food]i'm glad that you're getting an item that you want for your kitchen!
i love slow cookers. there's this 1-qt. one that i like the best cause i usually just cook for myself.

I have a couple 1-qt cookers. I use them when I take hot dips & spreads to work. There are a couple things I don't like about them: the crock is not removeable so it's not real easy to clean. And it only has an On/Off Switch so I need to watch the contents constantly or else the stuff gets overcooked & sticks to the sides.
Corinne