"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
You bought the best brand on the market and you're going to love using it. Like everyone else, I pay a lot of money for good quality meat, fish and poultry and I'll be darned if I'll just throw it in the freezer and let it get freezer burn and dry out. Your FS will protect anything you put in the bags for months on end. Good luck.

Thanks DQ! I looove fruit too, so I'll buy a lot of it and sometimes, too frequently for my liking, my strawberries will go fuzzy before I can eat/use them all. I've seen meat sales on good quality meat that I would've loved to take advantage of, but couldn't because I was scared it would get freezer burned like when I tried my DIY sealing. This is going to make life so much better and my pocket so much happier!

Old 11-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

You do have a large freezer don't you?
I've taken advantage of a couple meat sales recently and put my FS to use, and my Handi-vac, too, for that matter, though I don't trust that quite as much. You'll defnitely need some freezer space to take full advantage of a FS and meat sales.
Then you won't need to shop for meat for months!

Old 11-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #13
Head Chef

I am having food saver envy right now - I MUST get one. I'm putting it on my xmas list - that and something from Tiffanys will do. :)
Old 11-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
You do have a large freezer don't you?
I've taken advantage of a couple meat sales recently and put my FS to use, and my Handi-vac, too, for that matter, though I don't trust that quite as much. You'll defnitely need some freezer space to take full advantage of a FS and meat sales.
Then you won't need to shop for meat for months!

Yes, she's sitting in my garage just waiting to be filled. Ooooh, I just can't wait!!! I'm feeling all giddy!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
I am having food saver envy right now - I MUST get one. I'm putting it on my xmas list - that and something from Tiffanys will do. :)

I've fallen so in love with cooking and my kitchen that I'd pass up jewelry for an appliance these days! I think I've gone mad!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post

You will love it toots. The best thing... you can keep halved avacado's fresh!!!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:32 PM   #17
Head Chef

You're gonna LOVE it! Ours has paid for itself many many many times over! There are just two of us and I use it for darned near everything! Recently my DIL rearranged my freezer and we located pork chops sealed 4 years ago - no damage - I cooked them - they were just fine. Not that I recommend that but I was amazed!

When I do sauces I place the bags upright in the freezer 'till they freeze then seal them. I've used the bags to just seal artisan breads and they keep wonderfully. Good grief I sound like a commercial!

It's really nice, though, to make a big batch of something that takes awhile to do knowing you can preserve it perfectly without fuss. I buy whole chickens on sale, cut them in half, and there's just enough for us two.

One thing I do is if a batch of sauce turns out extra good I mark it with stars. You will use less freezer space as well because the bags store so neatly.

Have yourself a wonderful time! Bi-Mart has good prices on the bags too.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:38 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Use the canisters to seal lettuce. You will be absolutely amazed at how long it lasts that way. Not only does it last, but it is as good as the day you bought it.

lindatooo, when I do sauces I first put them in a zip lock bag and seal them getting as much air out as possible, then I lay then down flat in the freezer. Once they freeze I open the ziplock and put the whole bag into a foodsaver bag and seal. This way the foodsaver bag stays clean and I can re-use it over and over if it is big enough. They also freeze flat this way so I can store them like books or flat giving me a lot of space in the freezer.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #19
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindatooo View Post
You're gonna LOVE it! Ours has paid for itself many many many times over! There are just two of us and I use it for darned near everything! Recently my DIL rearranged my freezer and we located pork chops sealed 4 years ago - no damage - I cooked them - they were just fine. Not that I recommend that but I was amazed!

When I do sauces I place the bags upright in the freezer 'till they freeze then seal them. I've used the bags to just seal artisan breads and they keep wonderfully. Good grief I sound like a commercial!

It's really nice, though, to make a big batch of something that takes awhile to do knowing you can preserve it perfectly without fuss. I buy whole chickens on sale, cut them in half, and there's just enough for us two.

One thing I do is if a batch of sauce turns out extra good I mark it with stars. You will use less freezer space as well because the bags store so neatly.

Have yourself a wonderful time! Bi-Mart has good prices on the bags too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Use the canisters to seal lettuce. You will be absolutely amazed at how long it lasts that way. Not only does it last, but it is as good as the day you bought it.

lindatooo, when I do sauces I first put them in a zip lock bag and seal them getting as much air out as possible, then I lay then down flat in the freezer. Once they freeze I open the ziplock and put the whole bag into a foodsaver bag and seal. This way the foodsaver bag stays clean and I can re-use it over and over if it is big enough. They also freeze flat this way so I can store them like books or flat giving me a lot of space in the freezer.

Thank you both for the wonderful advice!!! I'm so glad I bit the bullet and made the purchase! I see that it is really going to save me money AND time and with a 9 year old and a dog, I need all the time I can get! I will definitely be remembering these tricks and tips that you all have shared with me.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #20
Master Chef

I ran out of food saver bags and rolls yesterday. I have more arriving hopefully this week.