"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Many cooktops available: GEmonogram, Viking, Dacor, THermador, Wolf, Sears Kenmore Pro, and on it goes. ALso Rangetops available from many of these companies. Downdraft ventilation need not be built in to your cooktop if you can make counter modifications.

Pro style cooktops have burners with 15,000-18,000 btu power. A restaurant range will be 25,000 btu, and a restaurant wok burner is 125,000 btu ... power you can't get at home unless you use your turkey fryer outdoor unit inside (not recommended.)

All these companies have conversion for LP gas.

Other options include Induction burners if you have cookware that is magnetic.

GO out and visit dealers show rooms etc. Get catalogues, go to web sites etc MAke an informed decision of what you think best fits your kitchen and your cooking style.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
Master Chef

I too say that I've heard wonderful reports about induction cooktops, that they are far more effecient than LPG, NG, or radient electric cooktops. They work with cast iron and steel pots and pans. They don't work with alumninum or copper cookware. They get things hotter, faster, and are more adjustable, with instataneous heat adjustment. The stove top doen't get hot when turned on. Only the cooking vessels get hot. If course, heat will be transfered to the cooktop by the hot pan sitting on top of it.

The downside is that these units aren't cheap. But from all reports that I've read, the people that have them love them. And I know the technology and physical prinicples are sound.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote