I need a new dishwasher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're looking at a Bosch right now because our dishwasher is dying a painful death as we speak. I understand that Bosch models have a manual and not an automatic filter and that you have to periodically clean it. Does anyone who owns a Bosch have any comment about that? I know that the manual filters keep the dishwasher quieter, but are they a pain?

BTW, here's the explanation of the filter from CR:

Filters

2477-features-filters.jpg

These keep wash water free of food that could be redeposited on clean dishes. There are two types: self-cleaning and manual. Most filters are self-cleaning; a grinder pulverizes the debris and flushes it down the drain. That's convenient but noisy. Some pricey models have a filter without a grinder. It's quieter, but it needs periodic cleaning (usually every few weeks), a job that takes a few minutes. It's your choice

We're looking at a Bosch right now because our dishwasher is dying a painful death as we speak. I understand that Bosch models have a manual and not an automatic filter and that you have to periodically clean it. Does anyone who owns a Bosch have any comment about that? I know that the manual filters keep the dishwasher quieter, but are they a pain?

BTW, here's the explanation of the filter from CR:

Filters

2477-features-filters.jpg

These keep wash water free of food that could be redeposited on clean dishes. There are two types: self-cleaning and manual. Most filters are self-cleaning; a grinder pulverizes the debris and flushes it down the drain. That's convenient but noisy. Some pricey models have a filter without a grinder. It's quieter, but it needs periodic cleaning (usually every few weeks), a job that takes a few minutes. It's your choice

I have a Bosch dishwasher, as as I bolded above, most filters are self cleaning. I do not have a "pricey" Bosch. I have the filter pictured above. I have removed it one time and there was nothing in it. I have not noticed it to be noisy. The noise reduction in a Bosch machine, according to the manual, comes from the fact it has a 2 pump motor system and the machine has triple insulation. It is much quieter than any other machine I have heard. So, to me, the food crunching noise is not noticeable.

bethzaring, according to our local appliance store and CR, Bosch doesn't make any models with self-cleaning filters. And you would not have to remove and check self-cleaning ones. From what I understand, though, the manual filters are really not a big deal and just have to checked periodically.

this is from my manual. "This dishwasher has a filter system that consists of a Large Object Trap/Cylinder Filter assembly and a Fine Filter. Select models have an additional Micro Filter. During normal use, the filter system is self-cleaning. You should occassionally inspect it for foreign objects and clean when necessary".

this is from my manual. "This dishwasher has a filter system that consists of a Large Object Trap/Cylinder Filter assembly and a Fine Filter. Select models have an additional Micro Filter. During normal use, the filter system is self-cleaning. You should occassionally inspect it for foreign objects and clean when necessary".

It is confusing, I agree. But self-cleaning is a different feature. To be sure, I just checked CR again and also called Bosch. Bosch filters do not have a grinder. That's why you're supposed to check it periodically for any debris. I don't think it's a big deal. We'll probably go with the Bosch.

I also think that six hundred dollars is a lot. I have a lower end dishwasher and I really love it. It's an Amana and it came with our apt. And thankfully, it works fine.

I DO see the need for a food filter, though.

We ended up getting this one. It will be installed next Monday so I will not know if I made a good choice until then. The reviews I have read all seem to be quite positive and the negatives things do not sound like things that will affect us much.

We ended up getting this one. It will be installed next Monday so I will not know if I made a good choice until then. The reviews I have read all seem to be quite positive and the negatives things do not sound like things that will affect us much.

I'm sure you'll be pleased, GB. This thread got us off our butts, and we ended up buying a new one as well, which will be installed Tuesday. We went for the Bosch because it's so quiet, and noise was our main complaint with our currently dying dishwasher. We'd like to be able to run the appliance and still hear the TV in the adjacent family room.

I can't wait to hear how you like it Suzy. The reviews I read all talk about how whisper quiet the Bosch are. I had to sacrifice that level of quiet to keep it in our price range, but as long as it is quieter than our old one we will have come out ahead.

have a very old one. i have to practically wash dishes before i put them in the dishwasher. i would love a new one, however as long as this one works , my son won't buy a new one. i live in a mobil home he bought for me to live in. i know he is a stellar son but would like a new dishwasher.

Wow! I've only been here two days and already I've learned something invaluable...thank you all! I've had a Bosch for about 2 years now and had no idea I was suppose to be cleaning the filter out myself (ok, caught me, i don't always read manuals). Luckily, I always rinse everything well before putting anything in there but I just took a look and no food but i found a piece of plastic ziploc baggy (huh?), a mushed paper label probably from a jar, and a piece of broken glass from my Tipsy Parson Trifle pedestal dish that broke a while back...boohoo.

I don't remember the price but I do remember throwing research to the wind, walking into a respected store, asking the salesman to direct me to the quietest dishwasher at the best performance for the money, and buying a Bosch at an awesome sale price with free installation. Oh ladies, you should have seen the installer guy...whoa...(but married...bummer)

Anyway, where was I? :LOL: ...oh, yes, i was going to say it's soo quiet i hardly know it's on and have been very happy with it. Oh, and cleaning the filter is as easy as 1 2 3

Our dishwasher was installed Monday. The only problem is that it looks great so now the rest of the kitchen looks worse. I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing that we are talking about redoing the kitchen now :LOL:

I am very happy with this unit so far, but to be fair we have only ran one full load as of right now. It is not as quiet as I had hoped, but it is as quiet as I expected. I would have had to spend much more to get it significantly quieter. It is quieter than our last one, not by a lot, but enough.

I love how the the rack can be adjusted higher or lower and I love how some of the tines are adjustable (fold down). This makes getting my large plastic cutting board into the washer quiet easy, as opposed to our last one where we needed to lift the rack off the tracks and do some yoga to get it in.

I also love all the different settings I have to pick from, even if most of them will never get used. There are enough that I will use that it makes it great to have the options.

My dishes come out clean and dry. My last one dishes came out clean, unless they didn't, and they were never dry.

Back
Top Bottom