"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #21
Sous Chef

We're looking at a Bosch right now because our dishwasher is dying a painful death as we speak. I understand that Bosch models have a manual and not an automatic filter and that you have to periodically clean it. Does anyone who owns a Bosch have any comment about that? I know that the manual filters keep the dishwasher quieter, but are they a pain?

BTW, here's the explanation of the filter from CR:

Filters

These keep wash water free of food that could be redeposited on clean dishes. There are two types: self-cleaning and manual. Most filters are self-cleaning; a grinder pulverizes the debris and flushes it down the drain. That's convenient but noisy. Some pricey models have a filter without a grinder. It's quieter, but it needs periodic cleaning (usually every few weeks), a job that takes a few minutes. It's your choice

Old 03-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
We're looking at a Bosch right now because our dishwasher is dying a painful death as we speak. I understand that Bosch models have a manual and not an automatic filter and that you have to periodically clean it. Does anyone who owns a Bosch have any comment about that? I know that the manual filters keep the dishwasher quieter, but are they a pain?

BTW, here's the explanation of the filter from CR:

Filters

These keep wash water free of food that could be redeposited on clean dishes. There are two types: self-cleaning and manual. Most filters are self-cleaning; a grinder pulverizes the debris and flushes it down the drain. That's convenient but noisy. Some pricey models have a filter without a grinder. It's quieter, but it needs periodic cleaning (usually every few weeks), a job that takes a few minutes. It's your choice
I have a Bosch dishwasher, as as I bolded above, most filters are self cleaning. I do not have a "pricey" Bosch. I have the filter pictured above. I have removed it one time and there was nothing in it. I have not noticed it to be noisy. The noise reduction in a Bosch machine, according to the manual, comes from the fact it has a 2 pump motor system and the machine has triple insulation. It is much quieter than any other machine I have heard. So, to me, the food crunching noise is not noticeable.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #23
Sous Chef

bethzaring, according to our local appliance store and CR, Bosch doesn't make any models with self-cleaning filters. And you would not have to remove and check self-cleaning ones. From what I understand, though, the manual filters are really not a big deal and just have to checked periodically.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #24
Executive Chef

this is from my manual. "This dishwasher has a filter system that consists of a Large Object Trap/Cylinder Filter assembly and a Fine Filter. Select models have an additional Micro Filter. During normal use, the filter system is self-cleaning. You should occassionally inspect it for foreign objects and clean when necessary".
Old 03-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
this is from my manual. "This dishwasher has a filter system that consists of a Large Object Trap/Cylinder Filter assembly and a Fine Filter. Select models have an additional Micro Filter. During normal use, the filter system is self-cleaning. You should occassionally inspect it for foreign objects and clean when necessary".
It is confusing, I agree. But self-cleaning is a different feature. To be sure, I just checked CR again and also called Bosch. Bosch filters do not have a grinder. That's why you're supposed to check it periodically for any debris. I don't think it's a big deal. We'll probably go with the Bosch.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #26
Sous Chef

I also think that six hundred dollars is a lot. I have a lower end dishwasher and I really love it. It's an Amana and it came with our apt. And thankfully, it works fine.

I DO see the need for a food filter, though.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

We ended up getting this one. It will be installed next Monday so I will not know if I made a good choice until then. The reviews I have read all seem to be quite positive and the negatives things do not sound like things that will affect us much.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
We ended up getting this one. It will be installed next Monday so I will not know if I made a good choice until then. The reviews I have read all seem to be quite positive and the negatives things do not sound like things that will affect us much.
I'm sure you'll be pleased, GB. This thread got us off our butts, and we ended up buying a new one as well, which will be installed Tuesday. We went for the Bosch because it's so quiet, and noise was our main complaint with our currently dying dishwasher. We'd like to be able to run the appliance and still hear the TV in the adjacent family room.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

I can't wait to hear how you like it Suzy. The reviews I read all talk about how whisper quiet the Bosch are. I had to sacrifice that level of quiet to keep it in our price range, but as long as it is quieter than our old one we will have come out ahead.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

have a very old one. i have to practically wash dishes before i put them in the dishwasher. i would love a new one, however as long as this one works , my son won't buy a new one. i live in a mobil home he bought for me to live in. i know he is a stellar son but would like a new dishwasher.