"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-14-2005, 03:01 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Hiya, Bang. I had a rice cooker, but it took longer to cook rice in it than on the stove. Waste of space and time, IMO.

Old 08-15-2005, 09:07 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I agree with mudbug. Learn to cook it on the stovetop and save the 50 bucks for some dry-packed scallops or some 15 year old Balsamic.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:05 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I make mine on the stove and it comes out perfect. But, I don't make sushi rice.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:42 PM   #14
Master Chef

I always cook my rice on the stove ... but have looked at rice cookers to see what makes them so special ....

If you've got a really small kitchen with limited stove-top space then an electric rice cooker might be a nice alternative.

If you want to just toss everything into the rice cooker and forget it .... it's nicer than having to pay attention to what your doing.

From what I could gather from a couple of days of reading ... the rice cooker is really nifty in a way. You throw in rice and water and the temperature sensor monitors the temperature in the pot. When the temperature in the pot exceeds the boiling point of water .... it knows the rice has absorbed all the water and shuts off.

This equates to adding the rice and water to a pot, bringing it to a boil, slap on a lid, reduce the heat to LOW and leaving it for 20 minutes ... then removing it from the heat for 10 minutes before lifting the lid and fluffing with a fork.

My gosh - how did Asian grandma's ever make perfect rice every day before the days of Sony and Panasonic rice cookers?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:00 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Curious about differences in rice cooking

Ironchef - I don't have a rice cooker, and rice is almost a staple for our family's Sunday dinners. Can you describe the difference in taste between microawave cooked rice / rice cooker? I'm really interested to read your opinion. My family does it on the stove, cooking it in a pot, then, when the water has cooked away, moving it to a colandar and keeping it warm over a pot of boiling water while the other ingredients of the Sunday dinner finish cooking. Some in my family like rice to be "sticky" others like the grains to be elegantly separated. I only started doing it in the microwave because all my other cooking surfaces were "busy", and microwave cooking was convenient and the rice came out however I wanted it to. I only started cooking as an adult and all my cooking learning experiences were in South Africa, and we didn't have (couldn't afford!) a lot of the neat appliances that are avb. here. I developed the opinion that a rice cooker couldn't possibly be necessary, since either microwaveing or ordinary stove top cooking produced good results...that it might just be another thing marketed to unwary consumers. If I'm wrong I'd like to know.... Sandyj
Old 08-15-2005, 11:09 PM   #16
Executive Chef

For me, it's about the texture in the rice rather than the taste. The microwave rice cookers that I have tried usually makes the rice very mushy. As long as you put in the right proportions of rice to water, a rice cooker makes it consistent everytime, anytime. It also keeps the rice warm and you don't have to worry about burning or maintaining the rice because you can pretty much just start it and forget about it. However, a lower-end rice cooker will not do this as well as a higher- end one. A higher-end rice cooker can hold the rice for a long period of time without a noticeable drop in quality or texture. To me, when I'm preparing a meal, the last thing I want to have to worry about is rice unless I'm making a risotto, paella, etc.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:16 PM   #17
Sous Chef

That makes sense - thanks...

Ironchef, thanks, that makes sense to me. I can see how a busy chef would value a rice cooker. Sandyj