I need a stand mixer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not paying for it. It is my 20 year anyversary appreciation gift from the company. I gave them both numbers. Told them where to ge it. They both seem fine. I wish I had time to go check them out though.

I am not paying for it. It is my 20 year anyversary appreciation gift from the company. I gave them both numbers. Told them where to ge it. They both seem fine. I wish I had time to go check them out though.
Very generous of your company to spring $500+ for your 20th anniversary. 25 years ago, the going rate for a 20th anniversary with my employer was about $125. So far I'm pretty satisfied with the KA 7 quart commercial model.

Hi, Bill, how are you? I guess I missed that part of the conversation, I thought you had an older mixer.
Oh and as far as “generous” they make up plenty for paying me less than any other company I know, by at least 25%. So they can splurge once every twenty years. How many people work 20 years for the same company nowadays anyway. ;)
P.S. Tell me more about the 7 quart, please.

Hello Charlie. I'm hanging in there and feeling better now that we've gotten some cooler and drier weather.
All I can tell you is so far is what I've already posted on this thread. The biggest minus is that the 7 quart bowl is a bit flimsy. The dough hook is a work of art. The motor appears to be capable of delivering an honest 1/2 to 3/4 HP which is about 5 times more powerful than my 50 year old machine and should easily let me make 5 or 6 pound batches of substantial bread. The flexing of the bowl's handle that I mentioned earlier in this thread is likely due to only the top of the handle being attached to the bowl. I'll try posting the exploded parts diagram for the machine when I get back to my main computer.

I'm using it for bread baking mainly, and it usually starts getting real hot and burnt smelling after only 6-7 minutes on low speed.
Everyone else I've talked to has the same experience with low wattage and bread dough aswell.
(I might mention that I come from a culture of super healthy brick like killerbread)

Anything else the KA handles just fine though.

I looked at Hobarts, and I'd have to get rich first for those, so I need something while I wait.

What about brands like Viking, Cuisinart and that stuff? Just as mediocre as KA?

My KA mixer instruction manual says to not run the machine for long periods of time under heavy loads on low speed.

justplainbill said:
Hello Charlie. I'm hanging in there and feeling better now that we've gotten some cooler and drier weather.
All I can tell you is so far is what I've already posted on this thread. The biggest minus is that the 7 quart bowl is a bit flimsy. The dough hook is a work of art. The motor appears to be capable of delivering an honest 1/2 to 3/4 HP which is about 5 times more powerful than my 50 year old machine and should easily let me make 5 or 6 pound batches of substantial bread. The flexing of the bowl's handle that I mentioned earlier in this thread is likely due to only the top of the handle being attached to the bowl. I'll try posting the exploded parts diagram for the machine when I get back to my main computer.

I was handling a 6qt. Bowl today from a KA HD, and it does feel like thinner metal than my old 4 1/2 qt. Bowl. Looks like it will do the job just fine as long as you aren't throwing it across the kitchen!

That 7 quart mixing bowl is not exactly old WMF quality. In the course of washing it this AM I discovered how thin it was and that its handle flexes ominously. The four small spot welds are not exactly confidence inspiring. At least the manufacturer was upfront enough to emboss the inside of the handle 'MADE IN INDIA'.
Guess that's why a spare bowl 'only' costs $32.77, a pouring shield $18.83 and a container of gear grease $20.25

That made me take a look at my bowl with the handle. I hated the bowl without a handle that came with the mixer. So many, mny moons ago I purchased the one with the handle. It cost at that time $24.99 at Sears.

Both bowls are K45. Both say Made in Korea and no marking on the handle. I think I purchased my KA attachemtns and parts before KA decided to go to lesser quality made products. :huh:

That made me take a look at my bowl with the handle. I hated the bowl without a handle that came with the mixer. So many, mny moons ago I purchased the one with the handle. It cost at that time $24.99 at Sears.

Both bowls are K45. Both say Made in Korea and no marking on the handle. I think I purchased my KA attachemtns and parts before KA decided to go to lesser quality made products. :huh:
We use some older made-in-Korea stainless steel bowls that are pretty good for the money.

Well, looks like I am getting my KA after all. The box just came. Not sure which one it is though. Cannot open the box until actuall celebration dinner, on Wednesday. Cannot wait. Also getting some accesories, looks liek, becasue there are two boxeses.

Back
Top Bottom