"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #71
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
I see a couple of N50s on ebay under $800, Buy It Now.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #72
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshatdot View Post
I see a couple of N50s on ebay under $800, Buy It Now.
Buy the one with the stainless steel flat B beater. The ss beater alone is worth nearly $275 new, with shipping. I know, because I'm saving my pennies for one.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #73
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I wonder how good these mixers are? At $829 it seems like a deal.

Vollrath 40755 7 Qt. Countertop Commercial Mixer with Guard - 110V

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #74
Sous Chef

That is an impressive looking machine, but it does not appear to have an attachment hub, something I would expect for that kind of machine for that kind of $$$. The 1/3 hp motor sounds more than adequate, but the speed control is still a rheostat, meaning the motor itself turns at varying speeds. An N50 is rated at 1/6 hp, which sounds low, but it turns at a constant speed and transfers through a three speed transmission. Tres torquey.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #75
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Buy the one with the stainless steel flat B beater. The ss beater alone is worth nearly $275 new, with shipping. I know, because I'm saving my pennies for one.
Oops...I just found that ss B beater for under $200.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #76
Sous Chef

I have been looking for a picture of this, a Hobart HL6, 6 qt. countertop mixer, made in Sweden for less than a year as a proposed replacement for the N50. Comes with 6 accessories; flat beater, wavy beater, whisk, dough hook, pastry knife and mixer bowl, all stainless steel. It was only available to Hobart employees and never sold commercially, except by them or whoever they sold or gifted them to. It is obviously a lift bowl and has a #10 accessory hub that fits all current and older Hobart/KA attachments, and has five speeds plus a "jog" setting. I have no idea how well they work or if the five speeds are motor speeds or transmission speeds, but it is a rarity and looks pretty cool. If anybody here snags one, (one like this recently sold on Ebay for $380 + $99 s&h), please give us a review.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #77
Sous Chef

Another one like it recently sold on Ebay for $1400+, plus s&h.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 05-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #78
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I have been looking for a picture of this, a Hobart HL6, 6 qt. countertop mixer, made in Sweden for less than a year as a proposed replacement for the N50. Comes with 6 accessories; flat beater, wavy beater, whisk, dough hook, pastry knife and mixer bowl, all stainless steel. It was only available to Hobart employees and never sold commercially, except by them or whoever they sold or gifted them to. It is obviously a lift bowl and has a #10 accessory hub that fits all current and older Hobart/KA attachments, and has five speeds plus a "jog" setting. I have no idea how well they work or if the five speeds are motor speeds or transmission speeds, but it is a rarity and looks pretty cool. If anybody here snags one, (one like this recently sold on Ebay for $380 + $99 s&h), please give us a review.

I would love that one...it's about half the size of the one I used in the restaurant.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I would love that one...it's about half the size of the one I used in the restaurant.
So would I!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #80
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I would be giddy with delight to get my hands on one of those!

This thread has been making me think about the day when I'll need to replace my kitchenaid, I hope that day doesn't come soon, because I'm beginning to think that I'll never find a machine as durable as this one. We've been together for 18 years! It's an Ultra Power, it was the better flip head model before the Artisan came along, and I have really put it through its paces over the years without a hiccup, she's still running strong.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ka beaters, mixer