"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

eatsOats:

I assume you are going to contact Amazon and tell them you actually received the blender so they can charge your credit card.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #32
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
eatsOats:

I assume you are going to contact Amazon and tell them you actually received the blender so they can charge your credit card.
Nah. You only do that if you are billed, but never received the blender. You know, like when the cashier gives you that extra dollar, you don't say anything, but if she short changes you a nickle, you run crying to the manager?

Old 03-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
eatsOats:

I had given it some thought. My wife and I are both college students and we are basically broke right now, so that factors in. Amazon is the one that told me it was lost in shipping, so I assume they can tell that it reached its destination. As morally unjust as it sounds, I think I'll leave the burden on them to re-bill me.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:54 PM   #34
Senior Cook

I've learned that "cheap" is a relative word, lol! I had been using my mom's old Osterizer (from the late 60's, I think) until it finally gave up the ghost about a year and a half ago). I replaced it with an inexpensive B&D that I smoked about 12 months later. So I decided to spend some "real money" (lol!) and spent about $149 on a KA blender. Hoo wee, I really thought I was making smoothies in the Rolls Royce of blenders until my sil introduced me to the wonderful world of Vitamix.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:15 AM   #35
Senior Cook

I have had a Vitamix for about 6 yrs. now and it is a workhorse. Love it for smoothies and soups. You can make nut butters in it, too, ie. almond butter, etc. It will even pulverize things for you such as nuts.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #36
Cook

I have to agree about the Vita-Mix... Granted it's a major investment, but this thing'll eat a two-by-four if you feed it in there. I have no fear about putting anything in it - I love fruit smoothies, and rather than using ice to freeze them, I simply toss in frozen berries or other fruit along with a fruit juice base and let the blender chew it up. Great flavor without the watered down flavor from the ice. And we've made the nut butters too - my wife loves the honey roasted peanuts and cashews run through it into a wonderful honey nut butter. The friction of the blades spinning through liquid can actually bring it to a boil if you let it run for several minutes. Great for cream soups.

All in all, worth every dime I paid.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #37
Sous Chef

I have a KitchenAid blender and it works great!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstranger View Post
I have to agree about the Vita-Mix... Granted it's a major investment, but this thing'll eat a two-by-four if you feed it in there. I have no fear about putting anything in it - I love fruit smoothies, and rather than using ice to freeze them, I simply toss in frozen berries or other fruit along with a fruit juice base and let the blender chew it up. Great flavor without the watered down flavor from the ice. And we've made the nut butters too - my wife loves the honey roasted peanuts and cashews run through it into a wonderful honey nut butter. The friction of the blades spinning through liquid can actually bring it to a boil if you let it run for several minutes. Great for cream soups.

All in all, worth every dime I paid.
I just got myself a Vita-Mix blender. I am so excited. I still have to break it out of the box. The product demo was so impressive all my concerns about its prohibitive cost went out the window. You can do smoothies, velvety soups (comes out steaming hot!), soft serve ice cream, and the ultimate test of all, it can crush a pitcher-full of ice cubes into such fine grain!

From product reviews I've looked up, it IS a workhorse (2 Horse Power engine). No need to chop up fruit or veggies into chunks. You can dump a whole orange in (minus the peel) or a big piece of steamed broccolli. It will puree it all into smooth liquid.

I've gone through at least 7 blenders in my adult life and I think this Vita-Mix will probably outlive me.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #39
Head Chef

I have said it before, and I will say it forever! A Vita Mix is worth 10 other brands!

Even the used ones are absolutely superb [the ones from the 1970's]! You can't kill the motors, and I love the old stainless steel containers.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #40
Master Chef

Unfortunately, nothing is what it used to be, and unless you go with a commercial brand, it will not work for 40 years any more. Everything is build with a thought in mind that you should come back and buy a new one soon. The only question is how soon.

Having said that i did get Vita mix recently, it is still in the box though.