I think I just ruined my new oven :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

upallnight

Assistant Cook
I didn't know this forum existed and I'll be sure to hang out here in the future. I love to cook and with 2 teens, I do a lot of it.
I just purchased a new convection oven and am thrilled.
I did the unthinkable and wanted to protect it. I hate a dirty oven so I lined the bottom with aluminum foil. It has a hidden element with a cover so the foil melted to the cover. I've scraped and scraped and it's obviously fused. I probably ruined and they cost $100 to replace. I'm so upset.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
:(

Welcome to DC.

Do you think it's unuseable as is or can you just use it with the melted on foil?

I understand the eyesore part. Mr HB brought home a new microwave and I used a 'remover' that said was gentle enough for plastic. Well, it wasn't. :dry:

That smeared bit on my microwave door drives me nuts.

maybe you could post a picture.

perhaps try bringing the cover back up to heat and try scraping while it's hot.

next would be going to the hardware store and getting some emery cloth. some persistence with about #1000 would bring you through the aluminum foil layer. of course, be careful not to overdo it and go through the enamel layer. the area you've rubbed would be matt, but a little further use of some elbow grease and #1500, #2000, #3000 & perhaps #4000 emery cloth would bring it to a respectable gloss surface. if there are actually blobs of molten aluminum, things such as jewelers files, coarse sharpening stone, or grinder would get through the bulk of it more or less quickly.

someone at a hardware store may know of some kind of caustic that would corrode aluminum, but leave the enamel surface ok.

another thing you might try ,though extreme, would be this. aluminum foil is thin enough to actually vaporize when a high enough heat, such as a propane torch, is applied. if the cover has some small sections that are hidden from sight when in place, you could first try slowly heating up that section with a blow torch to see if it would damage the cover or not. of course, stop as soon as any damage to the enamel or whatever seems about to happen. if it seems to take the high heat well, you could then apply the flame directly to the aluminum foil.

best of luck.
icon12.gif

If you are talking about a full-sized convection oven - try running it through the self-cleaning cycle. If you're talking about a table-top convection oven and the bottom cover is removeable - try placing it in your full size oven and running it through a self-cleaning cycle.

Knowing what brand and model oven you are talking about would be a great help in finding you an answer.

Waitwaitwait... Aluminum? Melted? That would require localized temps around 1200F!

Okay, if you're really screwed, uhm... The only thing I could think of would be to find someone who welds, and ask him if copper wick could soak up molten aluminum without causing localized distortion of the steel. Because wicking up the molten aluminum using a welding torch is the only way I can think of to get it off the steel.

And hiring someone to do that job would probably cost enough that you should either learn to live with it, or just buy a replacement. Sorry.

tooooo funny...i did the EXACT same thing when i got mine! i was able to replace just that lower pan by calling sears for replacement parts, and with shipping it cost me about $50.

4 screws and 5 mins later i had my oven back!

Every testimonial I have read states: 1) There is no way to remove it and 2) you shouldn't use the self cleaning feature with that damage.

Chalk it off as a learning experience.

I am always curious as to why so many people buy appliances, electronic devices and machinery without a thought to reading the manual. It's the first thing I do before I use any new product. The manuals clearly state that you cannot use foil in convection ovens or toaster ovens. I have a good friend who can no longer use her new self-cleaning oven because she used oven cleaner to clean it. I can't understand why the words "self-cleaning" didn't register with her but she ruined the oven. When she checked the manual (too late) it said in bold RED letters "do not use oven cleaner or permanent damage will result." Hmmmm :rolleyes: .

fused alu is not a problem, you only need some Caustic Soda (sodium hydroxide / NaOH) on it :)
keeping your window open, apply this to the offending Alu and wait a few seconds, it will start fizzing and giving off Hydrogen (it`s only a small amount don`t panic), it will leave behind Sodium Aluminate instead, that`s easy to remove :)

edit: nearly forgot, do NOT get any on your skin! it turns fats into Soap, and skin into YUCKY! it will blind you too, so try not to Splash it :)

Last edited:
YT2095 said:
fused alu is not a problem, you only need some Caustic Soda (sodium hydroxide / NaOH) on it :)
Is lye still readily available for purchase by Johnny Q Public in the "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave"?
Can you recommend a good neutralizer for the caustic?
Rubber / nitrile gloves & goggles?

justplainbill said:
Is lye still readily available for purchase by Johnny Q Public in the "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave"?
Can you recommend a good neutralizer for the caustic?
Rubber / nitrile gloves & goggles?
yes it should be easily available at a good Hardware shop, sometimes it`s sold as Drain cleaner, I think one of the USA brands is "Red Devil".
any acid will neutralise it, even vinigar or lemon juice to make the coresponding salt, in this case Sodium Acetetate and Sodiun Citrate respectively.

goggles or glasses are fine and plain old rubber gloves for dish washing are fine too, just make sure there are no holes in it :)

thinking about it, I`m pretty sure some Oven cleaners are Hydroxide based too, but don`t ask me the names of brands, I have no idea???

another idea that will work, if you have any BBQ ash, you can make a paste with it and apply that, it`ll work also but just take a little longer :)

that will make Potassium Aluminate, a little less soluble but quite easy to remove also!

does anyone else feel like when they are reading YT's posts, they are reading a completely different language?

i see the words, but when i put them together, they make no sence!! :LOL:

mugsy27 said:
does anyone else feel like when they are reading YT's posts, they are reading a completely different language?

i see the words, but when i put them together, they make no sence!! :LOL:

He is definitely our resident mad scientist!!! If asked, he will put these things into terms for us lower IQ individuals. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom