"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 05-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
I think I just ruined my new oven :(

I didn't know this forum existed and I'll be sure to hang out here in the future. I love to cook and with 2 teens, I do a lot of it.
I just purchased a new convection oven and am thrilled.
I did the unthinkable and wanted to protect it. I hate a dirty oven so I lined the bottom with aluminum foil. It has a hidden element with a cover so the foil melted to the cover. I've scraped and scraped and it's obviously fused. I probably ruined and they cost $100 to replace. I'm so upset.
Does anyone have any ideas?

upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
Welcome to DC.

Do you think it's unuseable as is or can you just use it with the melted on foil?

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
I can still use it but it's an eyesore. I'm really upset about it too.
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
Executive Chef
I understand the eyesore part. Mr HB brought home a new microwave and I used a 'remover' that said was gentle enough for plastic. Well, it wasn't.

That smeared bit on my microwave door drives me nuts.
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
WElcome to DC! I am sorry about your oven. I don't know what to do to help clean it. Did you try to call the manufacturer for their advice?
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
Senior Cook
maybe you could post a picture.

perhaps try bringing the cover back up to heat and try scraping while it's hot.

next would be going to the hardware store and getting some emery cloth. some persistence with about #1000 would bring you through the aluminum foil layer. of course, be careful not to overdo it and go through the enamel layer. the area you've rubbed would be matt, but a little further use of some elbow grease and #1500, #2000, #3000 & perhaps #4000 emery cloth would bring it to a respectable gloss surface. if there are actually blobs of molten aluminum, things such as jewelers files, coarse sharpening stone, or grinder would get through the bulk of it more or less quickly.

someone at a hardware store may know of some kind of caustic that would corrode aluminum, but leave the enamel surface ok.

another thing you might try ,though extreme, would be this. aluminum foil is thin enough to actually vaporize when a high enough heat, such as a propane torch, is applied. if the cover has some small sections that are hidden from sight when in place, you could first try slowly heating up that section with a blow torch to see if it would damage the cover or not. of course, stop as soon as any damage to the enamel or whatever seems about to happen. if it seems to take the high heat well, you could then apply the flame directly to the aluminum foil.

best of luck.
let me make sure that wine's ok before i use it.
philso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:24 PM   #7
Master Chef
If you are talking about a full-sized convection oven - try running it through the self-cleaning cycle. If you're talking about a table-top convection oven and the bottom cover is removeable - try placing it in your full size oven and running it through a self-cleaning cycle.

Knowing what brand and model oven you are talking about would be a great help in finding you an answer.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
Senior Cook
Waitwaitwait... Aluminum? Melted? That would require localized temps around 1200F!

Okay, if you're really screwed, uhm... The only thing I could think of would be to find someone who welds, and ask him if copper wick could soak up molten aluminum without causing localized distortion of the steel. Because wicking up the molten aluminum using a welding torch is the only way I can think of to get it off the steel.

And hiring someone to do that job would probably cost enough that you should either learn to live with it, or just buy a replacement. Sorry.
"It's not a bald spot, it's a solar panel for my electric personality."
-Red Green
LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
Sous Chef
tooooo funny...i did the EXACT same thing when i got mine! i was able to replace just that lower pan by calling sears for replacement parts, and with shipping it cost me about $50.

4 screws and 5 mins later i had my oven back!
I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
mugsy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Was that non-stick foil?

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote