"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #31
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

Can you explain what a "grill pan insert" is?
It gets cold here and the grill is off limits until spring or a nice warm day. So the broiler gets used. Not often, but it gets used.
I cannot count on weather as far as my menu. If I am making ribs and its cold, the broiler will be used.
The GE Adora model I have comes with a Lodge cast iron grill pan/griddle. You remove the center grate and replace it with the grill pan, preheat it for about 10-15 minutes, then grill steaks or chops or veggies. Not quite the same as an outdoor grill or open flame, but it's effective and handy when one can't grill outside like now when the temps vary from 0F to 35F.
__________________

__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #32
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
When we moved into our lovely home 7 years ago, all the appliances were plain vanilla GE. I have already had to bandaid the dishwasher after the top mounts to the counter broke, and the microwave door has cracks at stress points in the plastic.
Kayelle is also not too happy with the gas stove, and she mentioned she would like a Viking stove. Well , I went onto the internet and priced them, and was glad I had smelling salts on my desk.
Kayelle, bless her heart is a frugal (not cheap) person, and said there is NO WAY she would spend that kind of money!
The advice I need, is how to talk her into buying one or should we consider a lesser known brand that is comparable, and what would that be?
I looked up photos of the Viking stoves and I WANT ONE!!!!


However, I've since read your comments and I don't anymore.
__________________

__________________
Dont look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Changed my mind, I want this one: The Fireview is a high-efficiency, air-tight wood-burning cookstove
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #34
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,325
Oh my, Kay....congrats! I also LOVE the slate color!

My range came with a cast iron grill/griddle too, and while I've used it and it comes in handy at times, the darn thing is SOOO heavy and that makes it kind of hard to clean. You might find that here in the land of year 'round outdoor grilling, that your outdoor grill is easier and less clean up.

When I've used the indoor grill/griddle, I do love it, it makes great grill marks.

Congrats again on your new appliances!
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #35
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Are you calculating the line size, or using "rule of thumb"?
I ask this, as upgrading a gas line could every well end up costing more than a Wolf range.
We live in the country, and gas lines can be over 100' long or even longer. To trench a new line in 3/4" copper would be quite the expense. And since your post, it would seem a 3/4" might not be enough for that distance.
So, there must be a calculator to see if 3/4" is required or not, using the range requirements.
Also since you mention turns (90's) in the run, there has to be a calculator to determine what is required.
I am not talking about the line under ground, that will be high pressure and should easily support the addition of a stove, from the meter to the appliance is what I am referencing.. There are of course charts to see if you are sufficiently sized with the proper diameter service.

Its a pretty easy practice, just measure the amount of straight pipe and count all the elbows {depending on the pipe size an elbow will equal around 5 feet of linear pipe}, so if you have 10 ft of 1/2" pipe and 4 elbows, depending on what the stove needs for BTU input, you may be undersized..
__________________
Cooking4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #36
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Oh my, Kay....congrats! I also LOVE the slate color!

My range came with a cast iron grill/griddle too, and while I've used it and it comes in handy at times, the darn thing is SOOO heavy and that makes it kind of hard to clean. You might find that here in the land of year 'round outdoor grilling, that your outdoor grill is easier and less clean up.

When I've used the indoor grill/griddle, I do love it, it makes great grill marks.

Congrats again on your new appliances!
You're right about the grill side Cheryl. I'm thinking of leaving the griddle side up all the time for things like grilled cheese sandwiches, that could be wiped off without having to remove it. I remember as a child my mom had a griddle in the center of her stove.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:36 PM   #37
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
The GE Adora model I have comes with a Lodge cast iron grill pan/griddle. You remove the center grate and replace it with the grill pan, preheat it for about 10-15 minutes, then grill steaks or chops or veggies. Not quite the same as an outdoor grill or open flame, but it's effective and handy when one can't grill outside like now when the temps vary from 0F to 35F.
Gotcha! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
I am not talking about the line under ground, that will be high pressure and should easily support the addition of a stove, from the meter to the appliance is what I am referencing.. There are of course charts to see if you are sufficiently sized with the proper diameter service.

Its a pretty easy practice, just measure the amount of straight pipe and count all the elbows {depending on the pipe size an elbow will equal around 5 feet of linear pipe}, so if you have 10 ft of 1/2" pipe and 4 elbows, depending on what the stove needs for BTU input, you may be undersized..
I see. Only from the meter to the stove is the concern. Thanks!
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #38
Senior Cook
 
Souschef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Santa Paula,CA
Posts: 410
New Appliances

Well, the appliances finally got here, and they are great! The cast iron griddle on the stove will be fantastic.
We appreciate everyone's concerns about the gas supply, but it is not a problem. The burners work very well.
The only problem we had was with the dishwasher. It was hard wired (no plug), and the installer said he could not install it without an electrician. I told him I would do the electrical if he would install the dishwasher.
Fortunately, the old and new dishwashers were both GE, and had the hookup in the same place, so it was not a problem. The only issue was me laying on the floor on my stomach hooking up the wires under the dishwasher.
Kayelle is very happy with all 3 appliances, which together cost less than a Viking range!
__________________
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
That's great souschef. now you have to get cooking and make those appliances earn their keep!
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:35 PM   #40
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,895
I can't bring myself to cook on that beautiful shiny new stove yet so we're going out to dinner.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chef

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.