I want to buy my Master Chef wife a 30 inch Viking Gas Range!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I don't have a super duper high end brand range. My new one is a GE Adora, mid level GE, and I happen to love it. No, it doesn't have a 20000 btu burner, just one 17,000 btu "Power boil" setting on the right front burner (it won't boil 6 quarts of water in 2 minutes, but then I'm not competing against the clock on "Chopped" either). It has 5 burners, the middle grate can be swapped out for a reversible cast iron griddle/grill pan which does a medium rare steak quite well, and the convection oven is dead on for temperature. I am quite happy with it, and it cost $1000 ($900 on sale when we bought it), not $4k.

It's a much better range than the Whirlpool brand that we had before, and even that was a lot better than any electric I've ever cooked on. Most electrics would boil water faster than the average gas range, but they're also more likely to burn than simmer many dishes. I'll take a slower time to boil over stuff burned on the bottom of my pot.

Maybe there is some advantage to paying more, but if it cooks, and cooks well, that's all I ask. We did have to have the gas line changed from 1/2" to 1" to accommodate it, so that is a definite consideration.

Thanks RP for that information. Even the MUCH more expensive LP range had an aluminum Teflon griddle (no grill) for the center burner.
Good grief, what's up with that I wonder? That thing will never last the life of that over priced range. I would have never known without your help. I can't wait to have that wonderful option of a cast iron grill/griddle.

:clap:I'm so thrilled with the new appliances, not to mention the slate color, and thanks for all the good wishes and help.

Thanks for your advice, we have a very short run,about 10 feet, unlike my condo, where it was over 50 feet!

That should be fine as long as its 3/4" for most of that 10ft, depending how many bends you have.. Who ever installs the stove should know, after all you want to get the best performance and life.

Now just pull the trigger on the refer and you will have a matching set...

That should be fine as long as its 3/4" for most of that 10ft, depending how many bends you have.. Who ever installs the stove should know, after all you want to get the best performance and life.

NOOOOOOOOO. That is a brand new refrigerator that replaced the two door one that came with the house.

Wonderful new kit! I LOVE the slate color!

I was going to come here and suggest GE mid to upper range stuff, I've heard good things about it, and GE usually does well in tests for even heating in the oven, even their cheap Hotpoint brand.

When we moved into our lovely home 7 years ago, all the appliances were plain vanilla GE. I have already had to bandaid the dishwasher after the top mounts to the counter broke, and the microwave door has cracks at stress points in the plastic.
Kayelle is also not too happy with the gas stove, and she mentioned she would like a Viking stove. Well , I went onto the internet and priced them, and was glad I had smelling salts on my desk.
Kayelle, bless her heart is a frugal (not cheap) person, and said there is NO WAY she would spend that kind of money!
The advice I need, is how to talk her into buying one or should we consider a lesser known brand that is comparable, and what would that be?

I would want this stove: https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/kitchen/cooking-appliances/ranges/OR30SDPWGX1/

There is an appliance store nearby that sells the high end stuff, and I love just going in there to look at stuff. They have rooms with whole kitchens set up for each brand of appliance, definitely dream kitchen equipment!

Dang, always a day late and a dollar short...Conga-Rats KL! I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your new appliances.

If you need a double oven, get a wall unit {I love mine} eye level, no bending over, just super convenient, I will never live with out one again..

Agree 100%. I installed the power for a new electric range for my neighbor. They mentioned they were going to do away with the in wall oven like you describe. They were going to make a broom closet out of it.
I told them they were nuts to remove it and if it did not match, replace it with one that did.
I mentioned Thanksgiving and i think a bell went off for them as they did keep the wall oven.

As for the broiling, that's one thing I really like about having the reversible grill pan insert. Between that and my barbecue grill, I may never even use the broiler in the oven - not a bad thing as that should help keep it cleaner.

Can you explain what a "grill pan insert" is?
It gets cold here and the grill is off limits until spring or a nice warm day. So the broiler gets used. Not often, but it gets used.
I cannot count on weather as far as my menu. If I am making ribs and its cold, the broiler will be used.

Are you calculating the line size, or using "rule of thumb"?
I ask this, as upgrading a gas line could every well end up costing more than a Wolf range.
We live in the country, and gas lines can be over 100' long or even longer. To trench a new line in 3/4" copper would be quite the expense. And since your post, it would seem a 3/4" might not be enough for that distance.
So, there must be a calculator to see if 3/4" is required or not, using the range requirements.
Also since you mention turns (90's) in the run, there has to be a calculator to determine what is required.

Can you explain what a "grill pan insert" is?
It gets cold here and the grill is off limits until spring or a nice warm day. So the broiler gets used. Not often, but it gets used.
I cannot count on weather as far as my menu. If I am making ribs and its cold, the broiler will be used.

The GE Adora model I have comes with a Lodge cast iron grill pan/griddle. You remove the center grate and replace it with the grill pan, preheat it for about 10-15 minutes, then grill steaks or chops or veggies. Not quite the same as an outdoor grill or open flame, but it's effective and handy when one can't grill outside like now when the temps vary from 0°F to 35°F.

When we moved into our lovely home 7 years ago, all the appliances were plain vanilla GE. I have already had to bandaid the dishwasher after the top mounts to the counter broke, and the microwave door has cracks at stress points in the plastic.
Kayelle is also not too happy with the gas stove, and she mentioned she would like a Viking stove. Well , I went onto the internet and priced them, and was glad I had smelling salts on my desk.
Kayelle, bless her heart is a frugal (not cheap) person, and said there is NO WAY she would spend that kind of money!
The advice I need, is how to talk her into buying one or should we consider a lesser known brand that is comparable, and what would that be?
I looked up photos of the Viking stoves and I WANT ONE!!!!

However, I've since read your comments and I don't anymore.

Last edited:
Oh my, Kay....congrats! I also LOVE the slate color!

My range came with a cast iron grill/griddle too, and while I've used it and it comes in handy at times, the darn thing is SOOO heavy and that makes it kind of hard to clean. :ermm: You might find that here in the land of year 'round outdoor grilling, that your outdoor grill is easier and less clean up.

When I've used the indoor grill/griddle, I do love it, it makes great grill marks. ;):LOL:

Congrats again on your new appliances!

Are you calculating the line size, or using "rule of thumb"?
I ask this, as upgrading a gas line could every well end up costing more than a Wolf range.
We live in the country, and gas lines can be over 100' long or even longer. To trench a new line in 3/4" copper would be quite the expense. And since your post, it would seem a 3/4" might not be enough for that distance.
So, there must be a calculator to see if 3/4" is required or not, using the range requirements.
Also since you mention turns (90's) in the run, there has to be a calculator to determine what is required.

I am not talking about the line under ground, that will be high pressure and should easily support the addition of a stove, from the meter to the appliance is what I am referencing.. There are of course charts to see if you are sufficiently sized with the proper diameter service.

Its a pretty easy practice, just measure the amount of straight pipe and count all the elbows {depending on the pipe size an elbow will equal around 5 feet of linear pipe}, so if you have 10 ft of 1/2" pipe and 4 elbows, depending on what the stove needs for BTU input, you may be undersized..

Oh my, Kay....congrats! I also LOVE the slate color!

My range came with a cast iron grill/griddle too, and while I've used it and it comes in handy at times, the darn thing is SOOO heavy and that makes it kind of hard to clean. :ermm: You might find that here in the land of year 'round outdoor grilling, that your outdoor grill is easier and less clean up.

When I've used the indoor grill/griddle, I do love it, it makes great grill marks. ;):LOL:

Congrats again on your new appliances!

You're right about the grill side Cheryl. I'm thinking of leaving the griddle side up all the time for things like grilled cheese sandwiches, that could be wiped off without having to remove it. I remember as a child my mom had a griddle in the center of her stove.

The GE Adora model I have comes with a Lodge cast iron grill pan/griddle. You remove the center grate and replace it with the grill pan, preheat it for about 10-15 minutes, then grill steaks or chops or veggies. Not quite the same as an outdoor grill or open flame, but it's effective and handy when one can't grill outside like now when the temps vary from 0°F to 35°F.

Gotcha! Thanks

I am not talking about the line under ground, that will be high pressure and should easily support the addition of a stove, from the meter to the appliance is what I am referencing.. There are of course charts to see if you are sufficiently sized with the proper diameter service.

Its a pretty easy practice, just measure the amount of straight pipe and count all the elbows {depending on the pipe size an elbow will equal around 5 feet of linear pipe}, so if you have 10 ft of 1/2" pipe and 4 elbows, depending on what the stove needs for BTU input, you may be undersized..

I see. Only from the meter to the stove is the concern. Thanks!

New Appliances

Well, the appliances finally got here, and they are great! The cast iron griddle on the stove will be fantastic.
We appreciate everyone's concerns about the gas supply, but it is not a problem. The burners work very well.
The only problem we had was with the dishwasher. It was hard wired (no plug), and the installer said he could not install it without an electrician. I told him I would do the electrical if he would install the dishwasher.
Fortunately, the old and new dishwashers were both GE, and had the hookup in the same place, so it was not a problem. The only issue was me laying on the floor on my stomach hooking up the wires under the dishwasher.
Kayelle is very happy with all 3 appliances, which together cost less than a Viking range!;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom