"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I gave my bread maker to my mom. I used it for a few years but moved to doing it with a stand mixer/by hand.

My only complaint with the machine was the shape of the loaf (and the hole from the paddle) in my sandwich bread.

I don't remember right off what brand machine it was.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I love to set my breadmaker to start 1 hour before I wake. Waking to a house that smells like fresh baked bread is about the best way I know of to wake up. A 10+ on the Yum Scale!

It makes a fantastic breakfast also.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #13
Executive Chef

.....I wish my breadmaker would make breakfast........ ;-)
Old 11-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
.....I wish my breadmaker would make breakfast........ ;-)
Ha! I didn't mean it that way! I meant the *Bread* makes a fantastic breakfast!

Yer killin me!
Old 11-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I nagged my husband for years to buy me a bread machine. For about two months, I furiously baked bread, then the thing went into a cupboard and it didn't come out for two years, and then only to be sold for 10 bucks at a yard sale!!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I bought a Cuisinart refurbished breadmaker for 50 bucks and it's been working great for over a year. I highly recommend it. The only complaint I have is getting that little paddle off the stem to wash the bread bowl is a real bear!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlyran View Post
I nagged my husband for years to buy me a bread machine. For about two months, I furiously baked bread, then the thing went into a cupboard and it didn't come out for two years, and then only to be sold for 10 bucks at a yard sale!!
My daughter said that my epitaph is going to read, "She never met a kitchen gadget she didn't love." So true. My kitchen is full of gadgets. But no bread-maker. I have always enjoyed making it by hand. And I have a heavy duty KA mixer with the dough hook, if I feel lazy. Or I could use my restaurant style Robot Coup food processor. I also have a small Sunbeam processor for small jobs. I have an Oxo slicer that I have never even taken out of the box to see what comes with it. But I just had to have it. I do use my meat slicer. And sometime I even use my food sealer when I have a lot of meats to wrap for the freezer. But for the time being, it is going to sit there unused because I need to order more bags. And come next summer, if you show up at my door, I have a bottle of Zarex and can make orange slush for you with my ice cream maker that I just had to have. If it plugs in, I probably just had to have it.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My daughter said that my epitaph is going to read, "She never met a kitchen gadget she didn't love." So true. My kitchen is full of gadgets. But no bread-maker. I have always enjoyed making it by hand. And I have a heavy duty KA mixer with the dough hook, if I feel lazy. Or I could use my restaurant style Robot Coup food processor. I also have a small Sunbeam processor for small jobs. I have an Oxo slicer that I have never even taken out of the box to see what comes with it. But I just had to have it. I do use my meat slicer. And sometime I even use my food sealer when I have a lot of meats to wrap for the freezer. But for the time being, it is going to sit there unused because I need to order more bags. And come next summer, if you show up at my door, I have a bottle of Zarex and can make orange slush for you with my ice cream maker that I just had to have. If it plugs in, I probably just had to have it.
I'm the same way, Addie. I have about 20-30 gadgets. I do have a bread maker and use it frequently. The best "low tech" and simple idea gadget I have is sold as a "Fasta Pasta" and the damn thing works great!

10 minutes and I can make my own pasta supper or lunch cooked perfectly every time. All in the microwave.

The cookbook that comes with it has timings and amounts that work very well.

I think I have four George Foreman grills. All different.

My favorite gadget of all of them?

The "Pissazz Pizza Maker" Even when just making bread slice "Pizza", its awesome.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Don't know if the OP is still searching for a bread machine, but my vote is for Hitachi. I have had mine for several years, it works like a top! Even after a dinner guest accidentally dumped the paddle in sink and then ran the garbage disposal. Lol! The pan is non stick and bread pops out with ease although in the past couple of years I mostly use the machine for mixing and kneading.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

So my Mom got me a Panasonic. I have used it two times. I like that fact that you just set it and walk away. The first I made was a french bread recipe. It was great. Made french toast and it was awesome. The second loaf was an herb bread. I used different herbs then they asked for. When it was done mixing and rising I pulled it and formed it into rolls. I then let it sit as the oven heated up and it got bigger. After I cooked it it was good but not very fluffy. I pictured it would be full of holes and fluffy goodness. The ingredients were:
Bread flour
Salt
Dry milk
Butter
Dry parseley
Caraway seeds
Dill seeds
Water
Dry yeast

I did not add:
Dry parseley
Caraway seeds
Dill seeds

And added instead:
Basil
Oregano
Rosemary

I understand that there is some chemistry involved. Looking at the recipe it did not ask for sugar and I think you need sugar to react with the yeast to get the bubbles which will cause the fluffiness.
Did the ingredients that I left out have the sugar in them and that is my problem, or was it something else.
Is there a way to tweak a recipe for more fluffiness.

Tags
bread