"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

I want to get a bread maker.

When I look at them on-line everyone who reviews the one they bought hates it so any suggestions?

Old 11-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Bake bread in your oven. Everybody loves it. Seriously, why do you want a bread maker? I bake and like using the oven. I have a countertop mixer, but I still like to knead by hand occasionally. If I was so busy I just didn't have time to bake bread in the oven, I would take that as a sure sign that I need to slow down and adjust my priorities. Make it a meditation, it's a good one.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidencmc View Post
When I look at them on-line everyone who reviews the one they bought hates it so any suggestions?
I am considering the Zojirushi, I've heard many good things about it and would like to be able to do some homemade bread without the time consideration. I have a "Zo" Rice Cooker and it is excellent, so I will be happy with the bread machine, too!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
Executive Chef

lately when ever I replace my bread machines, I google "the most popular bread machine" and see what comes up.

PF, I had a Zojirushi and could not for the life of me make a decent whole wheat bread in it....makes a wonderful white bread though..I sold it on eBay
Old 11-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidencmc View Post
I've owned and used the 2 pound bread machine by Sunbeam for quite some time. There is nothing about it I don't like and have made a LOT of loafs in it. It's simple to use, easy to clean and it has a pretty small footprint.

Perfect for a single person or a couple.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
lately when ever I replace my bread machines, I google "the most popular bread machine" and see what comes up.

PF, I had a Zojirushi and could not for the life of me make a decent whole wheat bread in it....makes a wonderful white bread though..I sold it on eBay
Thanks for the head's up, Beth. I'm looking at the smaller one @ King Arthur Flour. However, I'll likely procrastinate until I forget all about it, I'm horrible about impulse buying.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I had a DAK when the craze first started. The best bread is kneaded by hand, though.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm probably the last one to give advice on what kind of bread machine to purchase, but here goes.

I've made all of our bread products forever and until Mr. "Arthur-itis" took up residence in both my hands. I kneaded by hand. Now, it's even a challenge to brush my teeth much less knead dough for 10 minutes or more.

I have two Welbilt bread machines. One is a 2-pound capacity one, the other a bit smaller. Why two? Mostly because I DO make so much bread. Often they're both going at once. I bought the first one about 13 years ago at a Black Friday sale for practically nothing. The other one, I found at a thrift store for $2.

Neither of my machines have been used to make bread through the whole bread-making cycle. I only use them to do the kneading and to allow the dough to go through the first rise. My hands are thankful for that.

Another reason I don't make bread in the machines is that one cycle simply doesn't make enough bread for us. Using them the way I do, I can get two standard loaves out of one cycle.

A second reason is that I really don't care for the imprinted "bellybutton" that is left in the loaf from the kneading paddle. If I haven't used my machine through a full cycle, how would I know this? My best friend uses his machine all the time and his bread always has a few "funny" slices. However, I have heard of folks removing the paddle before the bread goes through its last rise. That, I imagine, would reduce that problem considerably.

I've discovered that, using my machines this way, I can multitask and do something else while the machine is doing a great part of the work. Once out of the machine, all I have to do is to shape my dough as I wish, let it do its final rise, then bake. Pretty efficient for me.

As for the type of machine that would be right for you, all I can recommend is that you do your homework, listen to other experienced bread bakers, analyze what you think your baking preferences/style would be, then dive in.

Best of luck and happy bread baking.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Sous Chef

There are a lot of unnecessary gadgets on the market, unless the buyer/end user has a specific need. Arthrritis being one of them.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I have been making bread by hand for years. But now that the kids are grown and gone, I have stopped. I miss doing it. I love to knead. It is great therapy. and a great time for meditation. And the smell of the bread in the oven is like no other aroma. It seems to have a calming effect. My neighbors always knew when I was making bread. I am sure a bread machine would make the work easier. But it can give you time alone when you are doing the kneading. Or you could give your children memories and let them help with the kneading. It always taste better when you have had a hand in making bread. Now if they would come up with a machine sized for the home that would slice it nice and evenly.....

Tags
bread