"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-29-2006, 05:09 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
If, however, I were going to buy one now and money being no object, I'd seriously consider this.
Just wanted to chime in to say that Williams Sonoma (at least the main one here in San Francisco) is carrying the Magimix as well. The 3100/4100/5100 series has been replaced with the 3200/4200/5200 series and they're pretty amazing (all have received a power increase, stronger bowls, better lids etc.). I picked up a 4200xl (has a larger feeding tube) for $350 at WS. They don't appear to have it on their online store though. The 4200 has been upgraded to the same power as the 5100 in the link above (950 Watts) but with a slightly lower capacity on the largest bowl than the 5100. It's something like 14 cups vs 16 cups. Both models include the two additional bowls that nest inside the larger capacity bowl. It's easily the most solid feeling, quiet processor I've ever owned. The Sabatier blades are amazing. If anyone's looking to get a new processor...I would recommend this one. There probably isn't any reason to pay $499 for the 5100 in the link above when the same power can be had for much less at WS and includes the upgraded bowls and design (buttons across front as opposed to on the right for easier left handed use). I also have a Kitchenaid which in all fairness has been very good to me. But how could I say no to a Robot Coupe in my very own kitchen?
Nico

Old 12-29-2006, 05:26 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Side Note - Katie E - Mine is also almost 30 years old - before I EVER start thinking about buying a new one I will buy a new thingy - you know - what you put the food in when you want to chop it! lol geez, I've lost my mind!!!!! Mine is also a Cuisinart. I bought my friend a Cuisinart a few years ago and it works great!!!!!

If, however, I were going to buy one now and money being no object, I'd seriously consider this.

Edited to say - no matter what you get just do a little homework, like you are here. Pick it up - it should be fairly heavy. A 7-cup will do nicely. If you cook for crowds think about an 11-cup. You will love whatever you get. If you go to Sam's or someplace similar you can get a fairly good deal and that product will last you long enough to get your money out of it I feel sure!!!!!

One thing - store all your blades OUT of your processor. My friend kept her metal blade in there and moved it jarring the blade loose. It was lodged in such a way that the lid wouldn't open - she had to work REALLY hard but finally got it open. Just keep all your blades in the holder!

Kitchenelf,

I saw that one (Magimix) on Chefs' website and it there catalog, and even though it seems big and powerful, and I'm sorry to say this, but it's no match for the K'Aid KFPF850PM, which is the own that I own.

The motor in that one has only about 650 watts, whereas the K'Aid KFPF850PM has a very powerful and robust 1000-watt motor under the hood.

Like you said, if you had the money and could afford it, you'd go with that one.

Hmph! If you're going to buy that one, then you might as well go with the K'Aid KFPF850PM because it's $50.00 cheaper, and if you get it from Cooking.com, you can even eliminate the shipping charge by putting in the special code number there!

I love the K'Aid KFPF850PM, and I won't settle for anything less!!

Michael Chiarello, BTW, has a cooking show on the Food Network.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:43 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_made
Just wanted to chime in to say that Williams Sonoma (at least the main one here in San Francisco) is carrying the Magimix as well. The 3100/4100/5100 series has been replaced with the 3200/4200/5200 series and they're pretty amazing (all have received a power increase, stronger bowls, better lids etc.). I picked up a 4200xl (has a larger feeding tube) for $350 at WS. They don't appear to have it on their online store though. The 4200 has been upgraded to the same power as the 5100 in the link above (950 Watts) but with a slightly lower capacity on the largest bowl than the 5100. It's something like 14 cups vs 16 cups. Both models include the two additional bowls that nest inside the larger capacity bowl. It's easily the most solid feeling, quiet processor I've ever owned. The Sabatier blades are amazing. If anyone's looking to get a new processor...I would recommend this one. There probably isn't any reason to pay $499 for the 5100 in the link above when the same power can be had for much less at WS and includes the upgraded bowls and design (buttons across front as opposed to on the right for easier left handed use). I also have a Kitchenaid which in all fairness has been very good to me. But how could I say no to a Robot Coupe in my very own kitchen?
Nico

I probably would have gotten that one if I didn't have the K'Aid KFPF850PM, but I bought it in July before this one was introduced, and I like my FP anyway, so I'm quite happy with it and I'm not letting it go.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:08 AM   #34
Sous Chef

I don't know how the innards are put together in all these different FPs. I have a KA that does all I ask of it. But wattage may or may not translate to turning power if the motor is not mounted directly under the blade.
In the original designs of FPs it was that feature that made the Robot-Coupe (original Cuisinart, as I remember) the "best". The alternative was a cheaper Farberware where the motor was to the side and connected to the blade via a belt assembly. At that time--40 years ago--there was also a $20 Hamilton Beach or B&D (sold at drug stores!!) that came out with the blade mounted over the motor and it did its jobs very well--albeit, NOT in the professional category. It was my DMIL's favorite kitchen tool for chopping veggies for her legendary vegetable soup to save her arthritic hands.
As with any kitchen tool, individual needs are different as well as affordability.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:20 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Yes, direct-drive machines are far better than the ones that have the belt drive linkage.

Hamilton Beach and Sears looked exactly alike years ago and had belt drive, as well as the old Farberware. In these models and later ones with that feature, the drive belt can slip and or break if the blades become jammed for any reason.

I remember when Robot Coup made Cuisinart machines. And only the cheap flimsily-made machines have belt drive now. Stay away from those ones!! You'll be wasting your money.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:21 AM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
It's pretty cool, isn't it Andy? Totally off-topic - I want these too I love the larger size of each piece!!!!
We just bought this set.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Oops, I forgot to mention that the Magimix has something that I honestly DON'T LIKE!

And that is, that the feed tube is way too small and narrow. And I don't like that at all. I hate it!! My K'Aid KFPF850PM DOES have a wide-mouth - said to be the widest one in the industry, so it wins again!

I knew that there was something else that I didn't like about that machine!
And that was it.

So now, I wouldn't buy that after all, glad that I didn't, and I'm REALLY glad that I bought the K'Aid KFPF850PM instead!!

And the only thing that the Magimix has over my machine is a few more accessories for it and a 12-year motor warranty. I'll stick with my machine instead. I like it much better!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:54 AM   #38
Master Chef

I drove my old Cuisinart into the ground finally last year. After a lot of internet and hands on research, I replced it with another 11 cup Cuisinart and am very happy with it.

Although I like KA products very much and have several of them, I didn't think their food processor matched Cuisinart in (initial) quality. Time will tell, I guess, as to whether I made the right choice.

My blender broke at the same time (as did my mini food processor!!) and I repalced the blender with a refurbished KA that I bought on Amazon for more than 50% off. It seemed brand new and came in original packaging and was fully waranteed. I very much recommend exploring this option.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Cuisinart changed hands again - this time Conair bought them out!!

I don't like their products any more because they are being made with inferior quality.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:23 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Just for the record the Magimix is 950 watts, not 650.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote