"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

I want to purchase a new food processor!

For some reason I could not get the old thread to open on this subject. I need to know what's the best one out there. I'm hearing that Cuisinart has some of the best. Thanks

Old 12-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
Executive Chef

The forum was running too slow. I had that same problem earlier.

Want my advice? Stay away from Cuisinart! The co's products aren't reliable any more like they once were.

Get the K'Aid Pearl Metallic Food Processor (KPFP850PM). I own one, and it's the best and most powerful home processor made. No other machine even comes close!! It's heavy, powerful and made with extreme quality.

Go here; KitchenAid KPFP850PM 16 Cups Food Processor Review at Epinions.com and read MY (Daquan) review on this wonderful machine. I think you'll be convinced that it's the best machine out there!!

Old 12-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
Head Chef

i have a KA processor with which I am well satisfied. The only justified complaint that I know of is that the accessory box is designed for one too few accessories. Good luck.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:16 PM   #4
Cook

money is no object?

Hey TexCin, is there a budget involved here or are you that ever-so-lucky kind of cook who can order straight from the catalogue, forget waiting for that sale! I've been in need of a new processor as well and battle between the cost benefits of going upscale. Corey, are you saying Cuisinart, the company, has changed somehow? If I were to buy one it would not be the quiet, hard-working type my friends have had for years? Is the KA quiet? Is there a less professional one that might suit household needs and not kick the pocketbook so hard?

I'm STILL looking!
Old 12-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #5
Master Chef

I'm not looking...yet.
My food processor, a Hamilton Beach, I think, is over 30 years old, and has been used steadily. I lost the blades when I left my ex, but everything I have left still works great. The machine weighs a ton, and is very noisy, but it keeps on doing a good job.!

I also have a baby Cuisenart that is wonderful for grinding herbs and other, small light-weight things. I got it free by saving coupons from my cigarettes, and it has been in use a good 10 years.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
After the discussion about the newer crock-pots, I wonder what has happened to other appliances. Has quality been sacrificed, etc.? I still have my almost 30-year-old Cuisinart and am nearing the time to replace it. I really don't want to, but it's showing it's age and I think I should start doing my homework on what's out there. I'll be very interested to see what turns up on this thread. Keep talkin' everyone. I'm all ears.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Devora; Yes, Cuisinart has changed. There are many customers who are unsatisfied with their newer processors than people who have one one of their machines for 25 years or more.

Besides, Conair, a hair dryer co. has bought them out. Th K'Aid IS quiet. So are the Cuisinart machines, but who's to say how long THEY'LL last? If money is an object, then at least consider getting a lower priced K'Aid machine.

Yes Katie E, it seems quite apparent that some of the small appliance co's have sacrificed quality over quantity.

I could have gotten a lesser machine with less motor power and a plastic motor base with less quality, but i don't want that. And I wanted a home machine that has the most powerful motor out there. The K'Aid Pearl Metallic machine has that and more.

Basically, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can buy quality once or buy crap forever!!
Old 12-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
I put a lot of trust into Cook's Illustrated & their tests. They recommend the KitchenAid. That's what I will go with when I replace my old Cuisinart. I had to replace some of the plastic parts several years ago - the top & pusher thingie. Very expensive. I'm trying to be gentle with what I have now - I know it's not long for this world. One thing's gonna snap off & the whole thing won't work any more!
Old 12-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Corey, thanks for the info. It looks like a lot of people recommend Kitchenaid. I really didn't want 16 cups. How bout a little bit smaller one. Any recommendation? 11-14 cups?

Devora, No, I'm fortunate all right. My old processor was about 30 years old and worn out. My husband is going to buy me a new one for my birthday. Whatever I want!
Old 12-11-2006, 09:12 AM   #10
Executive Chef

You're welcome!!

Yes, K'Aid DOES make less expensive food processors that you can buy without spending a ton of dough.

There IS a smaller 12-cup model that you can get for about $250.00 or so. I think THIS one is perfect for you.

It has the wide-mouth feed tube just like mine does. You'd want that one, I think, for slicing whole fruits and veggies. It still has a powerful motor and three work bowls - all in different sizes. The Mini Bowl has it's own chopping blade for chopping small ammounts of stuff like garlic cloves, fresh herbs, etc.. And it has a storage display box for the supplied accessories

It's basically the smaller version of my machine in a slightly smaller package.
And it STILL has a metal motor base for sturdiness, beauty and luster!

The next ones down are the 9-cup and 7-cup models. But they don't have the wide-mouth feed tube.