"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-24-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Ice Cream Freezer Bowl Died

Hello all:

The strangest thing happened to me yesterday. I wanted to try a new ice cream recipe before the Christmas gathering, and when I reached for the freezer bowl of my older model Krups La Glaciere model 337 machine, which I always keep in the freezer (the bowl, not the machine), I found that the "stuff" in the bowl which freezes was sloshing about when the bowl was shaken.

The bowl has been in the freezer for a week, and should have been rock hard. Everything else in the freezer is OK, so it has got to be the "stuff" in the bowl that has gone bad. Has anyone had this experience?

I have ancient freezer packs that have gone through hundreds of freeze/thaw cycles, so I never would have expected this. I know that washing the bowl in a dishwasher is forbidden, but I don't own a dishwasher, so I didn't goof up there.

I have looked all over the internet for a replacement, but have had no luck. There is a gentleman on eBay with one for sale, and he claims that it will fit the machine, but I am a little leery.

The machine itself is in wonderful condition, with loads of life left in the motor. I would hate to chuck it into a landfill, and I guess that I can store it on a shelf in the basement for the time being. It just galls me that this has happened.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone know of a site or a business that I could contact for a replacement bowl?

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Joe

Old 12-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I have not heard of this happening. Did you try to make the ice cream regardless? It would seem that if the bowl was in the freezer for an extended period, it HAS to be cold.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Perhaps your freezer was on tge tail end of an extended defrost cycle. If not, I would check your freezer as well!
Old 12-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Alas, I did try to make the ice cream. After a half hour of churning, the stuff looked like a nice topping to pour over ice cream. I have saved it, as it tastes too good to pitch.

As for the bowl, I placed it back in the freezer yesterday after the bad experience, and this morning, when I checked it, it still sloshes about. The stuff just no longer wants to freeze.

I just don't understand.

Joe
Old 12-24-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuffle
Alas, I did try to make the ice cream. After a half hour of churning, the stuff looked like a nice topping to pour over ice cream. I have saved it, as it tastes too good to pitch.

As for the bowl, I placed it back in the freezer yesterday after the bad experience, and this morning, when I checked it, it still sloshes about. The stuff just no longer wants to freeze.

I just don't understand.

Joe
In your search have you contacted Krups customer service.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
Sous Chef

If it doesn't get cold enough to make ice cream after 24hrs in the freezer, then you have a problem with your freezer.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
the bit I`m concerned about is that in order to hear the liquid inside, air must have gotten in, that implies a leak and liquid displaced, therefore Some of that liquid must still be in your freezer!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
Cook

It might be worth putting a thermometer in the freezer just to be sure it's working correctly. It might be cold enough to freeze water (32º F) but not as cold as it's supposed to be (0º F).
Old 12-28-2006, 05:27 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Hello, and thanks for the replies. I have been away for the Christmas holiday, and have been unable to get to a computer until now.

I still am puzzled by the failure of my freezer bowl to completely freeze. The freezer is OK, everything is rock solid, including the ancient freezer packs that I always keep in there. The freezer bowl is not frozen, still sloshes when shaken.

I can find no tell-tale sign of leakage, nothing around the seam of the bowl, no cracks, and no sign of the "stuff" on the bowl or anything else in the freezer.

I guess that this is going to be considered one of life's mysteries!

Anyway, all of the best for 2007 to everyone here in the forum.

Joe
Old 12-28-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Yes, the same thing happened to mine. Fortunately, mine was of a hand spin variety, so I didn't incur the expensive loss of a lively motor.

Have you written directly to the manufacturer for a replacement bowl?