Ice Cream Maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
I have been wanting to get an ice cream maker, the kind that does not use the salt and ice. I saw a new one (forgot the brand) that makes soft ice cream. I have been looking a cuisinart's one. Any one have one that can give some input. Perhaps Odin will drop one my way.

Norg, I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker. Comes with lots of recipes in the instruction manual. I've made both ice cream and sorbet with good results.

Totally ripped from this link:

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/EquipmentCorner/1230.shtml

Equipment Corner: Ice Cream Machines
A $600 unit is a dream, but a $60 model is also a winner.
If you're in the market for an ice cream maker, you've got several options. We tested seven models, ranging in price from a fairly modest $50 to a whopping $600. They fell into three basic categories: expensive machines that don't require the use of a freezer; midpriced machines with an electric motor and a removable canister that must be frozen in advance; and midpriced machines without a motor that required hand cranking or stirring and had a removable canister that must be frozen in advance.

The two canister-free models were also the most expensive, and they produced smooth, creamy ice cream. The Lussino Dessert Maker from Musso ($594.95, 1 ½-quart capacity) contains a built-in refrigerator unit and is the Cadillac of ice cream makers. It lets you make endless batches of ice cream without having to wait 12 hours for a freezer canister to get back down to the proper temperature.

The three electric models with canisters that must go in the freezer overnight made delectably smooth, creamy ice cream in less than 30 minutes. The ice cream was quite soft, however, and benefited from a few hours in the freezer to firm it up before eating. The Krups La Glacière ($59.95, 1 ½-quart capacity) was quieter than both the Cuisinart one-canister machine ($49.95, 1 ½-quart capacity) and the Cuisinart two-canister machine ($99.95, 2-quart capacity). Given its modest price and size (and immodestly good ice cream), the Krups machine is an excellent choice.

The unmotorized machines cost about as much as the Krups and Cuisinart but produced ice cream.that was inferior--less smooth, less creamy, and more icy.

kleenex, thanks for the test results. I may try to find a Krups, I like that company. I cannot afford to spend $600 on an ice cream maker, so will have to opt for the more affordable ones, unless you guys want to each send me .50 cents via e-mail :LOL: . I have seen the cuisinart one, but do not have a KitchenAid, only portable black & Decker. I will look this week-end when my daughter and I go shopping. We have a BonMarche (oops now BonMacy's) and Penny's in the mall so will check there. Also we have a Bed, Bath & Beyond, but the only carry the cuisinart. Thanks again for the suggestions.

I have the Cuisinart unit as well, and share mudbug's opinion. Good results. Good price, too.

As soon as I empty the freezer bowl, I clean it and put it back in the deep freeze, ready for the next time.

choclatechef said:
If you have a Kitchenaid mixer, there is a new ice cream attachment for it.

I've asked for this for Christmas from the in-laws. It's very reasonably priced and seems to have one of the larger capacities. I can't wait--2005 will be the Year of Ice Cream in my house! :D

PA Baker said:
choclatechef said:

I've asked for this for Christmas from the in-laws. It's very reasonably priced and seems to have one of the larger capacities. I can't wait--2005 will be the Year of Ice Cream in my house! :D

PA do you in-laws want to adopt me, I am an orphan you know ( :LOL: 65 yr old retiree) I will m ake 2005 ice cream year too, love it.

norgeskog said:
PA Baker said:
choclatechef said:

PA do you in-laws want to adopt me, I am an orphan you know ( :LOL: 65 yr old retiree) I will m ake 2005 ice cream year too, love it.

If the in-laws don't want to adopt, I'll at least share my icecream maker with you (that is, if I get it!)! :D

PA Baker said:
norgeskog said:
PA Baker said:
choclatechef said:

If the in-laws don't want to adopt, I'll at least share my icecream maker with you (that is, if I get it!)! :D

That is so sweet, PA (no pun intended ;) ) of you to share. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom