Ice cream makers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

devora

Cook
We live in the middle of nowhere and are on solar power. Our fridge is propane and we just upgraded so now I can have ice cream, yeah!

DH thinks that an electric ice cream maker might sap our power, but I'm not keen on a hand -crank (it takes hours, right?). The salt gig sounds like a drag. (I've never made homemade ice cream, hence my ignorance!)

Also, I'd like to know brands (electric sapping or not!) that have worked for ya'll. What is your favorite ice cream machine?

THX much for input.

We live in the middle of nowhere and are on solar power. Our fridge is propane and we just upgraded so now I can have ice cream, yeah!

DH thinks that an electric ice cream maker might sap our power, but I'm not keen on a hand -crank (it takes hours, right?). The salt gig sounds like a drag. (I've never made homemade ice cream, hence my ignorance!)

Also, I'd like to know brands (electric sapping or not!) that have worked for ya'll. What is your favorite ice cream machine?

THX much for input.

I love making my own ice cream. You can put what you want into it and in whatever quantities suit you and the taste and texture are far superior than store bought.
I have both the KitchenAid attachment and a Cuisinart Ice Cream and Yogurt maker. Both make excellent ice cream and are very easy to use. I like the Cuisinart in my RV because it takes less room to store and is a unit in itself rather than an attachement - takes up less room to use.

They both take about 30 minuites to make perfect ice cream.

I have a plain little non-electrical hand-crank model by "Donvier". I think I paid maybe $30 for it several years ago. No salt required, you just put the freezer container into the freezer overnight, add your chilled ingredients, & then crank it once every few minutes for about 20-30 minutes. Voila - delicious homemade ice cream, sherbert, granitas, sorbets, etc.

I have a Cuisinart and I love it. But recently I attended a cooking class at Caprial & John's and she said at the restaurant they just buy a cheap Rival and use it until it dies - in about a year at the restaurant. They prepared Caramel Ice Cream with Grilled Peaches....Yummmmmmmmmmmmm!

I have a plain little non-electrical hand-crank model by "Donvier". I think I paid maybe $30 for it several years ago. No salt required, you just put the freezer container into the freezer overnight, add your chilled ingredients, & then crank it once every few minutes for about 20-30 minutes. Voila - delicious homemade ice cream, sherbert, granitas, sorbets, etc.

I used to have one of those (until it died) but it didn't make a large enough amount (one pint).

I am on my second Cuisinart Ice Cream maker. Love it! makes 1 1/2 quarts of yummy stuff at a time. :)

I agree with the above comments. I have a Cuisinart IC Maker and I love it!! I have made more kinds of ice cream than I can count thanks to my Ben and Jerry's IC cookbook.

Me too, I have the Cuisinart. Takes very little time and electricity, makes good ice cream. Too easy, though, for me--I'm supposed to be dieting!

I have a 4-qt. electric White Mountain ice cream maker. I just LOVE it! The neat thing about it is that you don't have to crush up the ice into smaller chunks, like the Rival & etc. such electric ice cream makers. I use about 10 lbs. of ice each time. Yes, it is noisy. I like making ice cream ahead of time and freezing it in Ziploc containers. I've also made frozen yogurt in it. White Mountain is a GREAT brand but it is expensive. My sister & I paid around $179 + $23 shipping thru Amazon.com for it. The neat thing about the White Mountain is that we can buy the hand-cranked attachment to use instead of the motor.

I've tried my younger sister's 5-qt. Rival electric ice cream maker. Her husband got it for her at a farm supply store. It has a wooden bucket. The ice kept getting stuck around it which I got fed up with. The sides aren't too wide between bucket & ice cream canister. It, too, is noisy. My oldest brother & his wife has the plastic 4-qt. Rival that my sil bought on clearance at Wal-Mart for $15. It looked like a piece of junk and when I saw it a few times, I chose not to buy it.

Having an ice cream maker is GREAT. Once you've made ice cream a few times and played around with it, you then know what you like/don't like. I keep a variety of recipes on hand. I can make different kinds of vanilla & etc. ice cream, depending on what ingredients I have on hand. If I don't have something, I've got a recipe that doesn't have that one or two ingredient. I also keep mixes on hand. I'm still new to making ice cream but I'm sure having fun playing around with my recipes.

Darlene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom