"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #31
Master Chef

There are a number of brands & models that "self-freeze", but all the ones I've seen are way up there in price. I think the very cheapest one I ever saw was around $400, & I've seen some closer to $1,000.

I would imagine the prices are due to the fact that you're technically buying a miniature self-contained freezer.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
For years I've been wanting an ice cream maker. But everytime I look at a model, it requires that the bowl be frozen first.

As I want to be able to make ice cream anytime I want to, and as I have no space in my freezer, I need an ice cream maker that does not require freezing the bowl.

Is there such a model? And would it work as well as the ones that require freezing the bowl?

Thanks!

If you want, you can go to my post on the previous page, see what mine looks like with the address given and read my review on it.

I paid $200.00 for it, but it now sells for $159.00 at Amazon.com brand new.

BreezyCooking, the ones that you speak of have stainless steel housings and are slightly larger. I once contemplated getting one of those, but I didn't want to spend that amount of money for one.

The cheaper alternative, I think, for budget-concious consumers is the one like mine (Gelato TSA-109) which has a plastic housing. You'll still get great tasting ice cream and there's no pre-freezing the bowl beforehand.

The only pre-freezing that you must do is to let the freezing chamber chill down until it's frozen, and this will only take about a few minutes after you turn on the main switch - not eight hours!

It's now the Gelato Junior 470, but it is very much identical to mine.

And BTW, I think $159.00 is the lowest you can go for a self-contained unit.
I've had no problems with mine. It works perfectly every time!

Plus you can buy extra bowls for double batches if you want to. Amazon sells those as well.

Actually, this machine comes in two different sizes - a 1-qt. and a 2-qt. model.
The 2-qt. model, I think, is the Gelato 490.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sararwelch
I have a rival, it was under $50. It's ok, but I wouldn't buy it again. It's really noisy, and the canister doesn't seem to hold a chill for that long.
I bought the same thing several years ago before I discovered sources of information like this one. Following are some lessons I've learned after a few hundred uses.
  1. It makes a little noise but not a disturbing amount.
  2. It will not freeze two batches without refreezing the canister, but it will certainly freeze one batch without problem caused by increased canister temperature.
  3. Freezing the container for 48 hours is much better than 24 hours.
  4. Attach the paddle and quickly turn on the motor; then pour in the liquid. This prevents stripping the square peg in the paddle or the square hole in the base into a round ones.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #34
Head Chef

Thanks Breezy and Corey. Corey, thanks for the link. Amazon will probably not work for me as 110 volt appliances don't work here. Also I'm not willing to pay freight charges. At least now I know that there are indeed self-contained units that don't require pre-freezing which are affordable and are effective. I just have to keep looking.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:09 PM   #35
Executive Chef

You're welcome!

I plum forgot that you don't live in the USA! These machines are actually made in Italy by Lello Appliances Co., most of them are, so hopefully, you'll be able to get one that coresponds with the voltage supply where you are.

Lello makes the same identical machines for other co's under different names as well.

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Smile

Wooohoooo!!! Hector just gave me this one for my birthday!!!

I can't wait to make coconut pineapple ice cream to put on top of banana wontons!!!!!
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Happy b'day!! That sounds good!!
Old 04-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by spryte
Wooohoooo!!! Hector just gave me this one for my birthday!!!

I can't wait to make coconut pineapple ice cream to put on top of banana wontons!!!!!
Well, happy birthday! Make lots and lots of yummy ice cream. What a nice gift! Someone loves you.

Or wants ice cream.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Well, happy birthday! Make lots and lots of yummy ice cream. What a nice gift! Someone loves you.

Or wants ice cream.
Thanks!!

It's probably a little bit of both!
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:40 PM   #40
Senior Cook

cusinart one...

I also have the cuisinart one. I think pretty much all the ice cream makers of this style are the same. I don't think there is anything that sticks out with the cuisinart to make it stand out. I just got a good deal on it and i think thats why i bought it. Anyways with that said i had to get used to using it. I have made many batches of "ICE CUBE" cream rather than "Ice Cream " . I also wanted to pull it to early. I know make perfect ice cream every time. Id love to have one of those compressor units but im unwilling to spend the $/room.

About store ice cream...yes its gross. Have you ever noticed what it turns into when it melts? It certainly isn't cream. Its a bowl of airy goo that doesn't look to appetising. The only good stuff is like ben & Jerry's and hagandaz (or however you spell it) and look how much that stuff cost.

Ncage