"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 01-18-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
Head Chef
IceCream Machines

What is an ice cream making appliance called? I was thinking maybe it was a churn.
Store bought ice cream is sad. Ice cream stores get their ice cream from the same place as the store.
I'm going to start making my own. Does anyone make ice cream? Where do I start?

StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
First, you should decide how much you want to spend for a machine. You can get good ones for less than $50. or really good ones for a lot more.

Then, all you need is good recipes and good ingredients. Have a great time making your own ice cream.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Executive Chef
I bought the Cuisinart ice cream maker and am very happy with it. I'm not clever enough to make up recipes but each one I've tried has been successful.

If you happen to buy a Cuisinart, make sure you purchase the one with 2 bowls.

Also, I don't make more than I can serve because since there isn't much air in the homemade ice cream (a good thing) it gets very dense when frozen in the freezer and imho, it isn't as good.
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Assistant Cook
Yep Cuisinart makes a good machine I have one of the older models have had it now about 5 or 6 years and it still works great.
Mad Sugar Artists Society making flaming tracks!!
Sugarcreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Head Chef
This is a recipe from Cuisinart's. This is a recipe for "freezer ice cream". These are just mixers. I am thinking dry ice method.

Thank you for your help. You have saved me some time and money. I think those ice cream machines at the store are probably the same. I have been so tempted to put one in the cart.

It may be a challenge to find one. In the end, I may wind up at the Antique Shop. lol

Chocolate Mint Ice Cream
Crushed chocolate mint candies and rich chocolate ice cream create a refreshing taste sensation.

ServingsMakes 10 1/2-cup servings

Ingredients2 cups heavy cream, chilled
1 cup whole milk, chilled
1/2 cup chocolate syrup
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup crushed chocolate mint candies, such as Andes® (about 15 mints)

1. Combine heavy cream, whole milk, chocolate syrup, sugar and vanilla (not mint candies) in a medium mixing bowl and combine until well blended. Pour into freezer bowl of a Cuisinart® Automatic Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream and Sorbet Maker. Turn the machine ON and let mix until mixture thickens, about 20 - 25 minutes. Add crushed chocolate mint candies to ice cream during last 5 - 10 minutes of mixing. Turn the machine OFF. Transfer to an air tight container and place in freezer until firm, about 2 hours.
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
Hospitality Queen
I've been looking for a good one since December, but stores keep telling me it's not a winter item (!)

I think I've heard that the kitchen aid one is good. Anyone know about it?
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
Senior Cook
I have a rival, it was under $50. It's ok, but I wouldn't buy it again. It's really noisy, and the canister doesn't seem to hold a chill for that long.
Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
The absolute best homemade churn I have found is a White Mountain...they have manual and electric...Be prepared to spend so cash..but you want be disappointed!
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #9
Sous Chef
Love this thread already! I have often wondered actually what to buy and with the summer coming up..............well after the winter and spring, but a girl can plan ahead right?!
There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Jikoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I've been making my own ice cream for around 25 years. For most of those, I've used a Cuisinart -- not the commercial model, the one that has the freeon (or whatever it is) inside the bowl. It costs around $50, and sometimes on cooking.com you can find them for less. I keep the bowl in my freezer so it's always ready.

There's no question that home made ice cream is yards better than commercial! and you can be sure of the products you are using... you can choose hormone-free dairy products, you can control the fat content, and all manner of variables, to say nothing of the flavor!

I say go for it!

also meant to mention that I'm on my 2nd Cuisinart ice cream freezer, the first one having served yeoman's duty for more than 10 years!

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote