"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-20-2006, 04:06 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the replies! I'm starting to let go of my popcorn-induced terror of ceramic top stoves, based on all of your comments. But I'm still wondering how I can avoid getting a stove like the one I mentioned. Can anyone recommend a good site where I can learn more about these stoves? I'm usually pretty good with finding web sites, but all I can find is stuff written by someone who wants to sell me something...

Old 04-20-2006, 06:01 PM   #12
Master Chef

I love the idea of an induction stove. With an engineering background, I think that it would be a naturally superior stove. But here's a website that explains it very well.

www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-induction-cooktop.htm

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:16 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratsA
Thanks for all the replies! I'm starting to let go of my popcorn-induced terror of ceramic top stoves, based on all of your comments. But I'm still wondering how I can avoid getting a stove like the one I mentioned. Can anyone recommend a good site where I can learn more about these stoves? I'm usually pretty good with finding web sites, but all I can find is stuff written by someone who wants to sell me something...

You're welcome!

Try http://www.epinions.com. You can even become a member there if you wantg to.

~Corey123.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:43 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

I've always cooked with gas. Recently I cooked dinner for my sister in her kitchen as she had just had knee replacement surgery.

I made beef stroganov on a glass top electric and had no problem. It doesn't take long to adjust to the temperature lag time. The electric burners are actually hotter than the two "High Output" burners on my gas stove!
Old 04-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #15
Executive Chef

There have been homes burned down because of electrical fires though.

~Corey123.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:03 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Thnere have been homes burned down because of electrical fires though.
Yep - and houses have been blown to toothpicks from gas leaks - just by flipping on a light switch. People have also died from Carbon-Monoxide poisoning trying to cook indoors over a charcoal fire ....

I prefer gas because it has greater temperature control than electric. But, you can cook just as well with electric once you learn how to handle the beast - and every stove is different. It's like learning to cook with different cookware.

Ceramic tops come with different heating methods - coils, infrared, induction ... each has it's own +/- properties. The one thing they all share is that the ceramic top limits the weight of the pots (plus ingredients) you can use on them - also a problem with electric coil stoves to a lesser degree.

If you want to do something like canning with a standard boiling water canner or a lobster/shrimp/crab boil with a 20-30 qt pot - ceramic top might not be the way to go (you have to check the specs for the brand/model you're looking at for the weight/pot size limits).

Of course, I have been accused of being a Luddite for not embracing every new concept.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:10 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
I couldn't WAIT to have our gas disconnected & have an electric range installed. Especially after half a block of houses blew up just a few miles from us due to a gas leak.

Sorry, I'm electric all the way. While I do understand why many serious cooks love gas because of the easy heat adjustment, it's just not worth it to me. I'm always looking for the smell, & frankly, just don't feel it's safe. Around here, anyway, there have been far too many gas explosions. You never hear of homes exploding because of the electric range.

I grew up with electric, have catered meals with electric, will continue to use electric.
"this anouncement has been brought to you by your public service electric company, and your local electricians union. electricity: safe, clean, efficient. enlightening."

(j/k breezy - it just sounded like you forgot the disclaimer )

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:02 AM   #18
Master Chef

You forgot the logo, Buckytom!

Old 04-21-2006, 05:46 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Yep - and houses have been blown to toothpicks from gas leaks - just by flipping on a light switch. People have also died from Carbon-Monoxide poisoning trying to cook indoors over a charcoal fire ....

I prefer gas because it has greater temperature control than electric. But, you can cook just as well with electric once you learn how to handle the beast - and every stove is different. It's like learning to cook with different cookware.

Ceramic tops come with different heating methods - coils, infrared, induction ... each has it's own +/- properties. The one thing they all share is that the ceramic top limits the weight of the pots (plus ingredients) you can use on them - also a problem with electric coil stoves to a lesser degree.

If you want to do something like canning with a standard boiling water canner or a lobster/shrimp/crab boil with a 20-30 qt pot - ceramic top might not be the way to go (you have to check the specs for the brand/model you're looking at for the weight/pot size limits).

Of course, I have been accused of being a Luddite for not embracing every new concept.

About two years or so ago in Methuen, MA, two little girls were tragically killed as the result of a silent gas leak that no one even knew about!!

~Corey123.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:56 AM   #20
Master Chef

The death of little girls is always tragic, be it from a gas leak, a down power line, being thrown out a 2nd story window by some punk who told them to steal, drownding in the back yard pool, etc., etc.

The point is that there is risk in everything we do. And as living creature, we tend to do things that endanger ourselves. We destroy our world in our endless search for convenience nad comfort. And me, I'm just like everyone else. I drive my car to work instead of walking the five miles. I choose to live in a place where I have to heat my house with something. I've been known to cut fallen branches off of power lines. And you don't even want to know about my escapades on motorcycles (in my teens and twenties).

The only true "fact" that I know is that we were all born to die. So I say, live life to the fullest. Weight the risks and try to manage what you can manage. Pray for guidance and protection for those things you can't controll.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote