"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
Master Chef

microwave oven...will save you much time and mess
food processor
stand mixer...you don't have to start out with a Kitchen Aid
stockpot 8-12 qt.
heavy dutch oven (you might spend a few $$ on this one)
2 insulated cookie sheets for baking only
2 cheaper baking sheets for meats, etc...line with foil when using
1 insulated 13x9 baking pan
large ladle
potato masher
set of stainless steel bowls (if you have room)
knife sharpener
large silicone cutting board
rolling pin with canvas mat and cotton sock for pin (available online at baking sites)
2 pie pans
Joy of Cooking

Except for the mat & mit for your rolling pin,the Dutch oven and perhaps your stock pot, you can find most of these things at a discount stores. I believe in using good cooking implements, but when you're starting out, you need to get all the basics on hand first. In time, you can replace the cheaper stand mixer with a Kitchen Aid, but it will serve your purpose for a while.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Iam not a big baker, so I use my Kitchen Aid hand mixer alot, big one seldom, but that is me. 9 x13 pyrex I use alot for casseroles and box cakes - brownies. Love my electric fry pan for many uses, Dutch oven and my unhealthy deep fryer !

Old 02-17-2007, 10:00 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
After some thought and Aunt Dot's comment, I have another suggestion about how you can spend your $500.

Such things as a Kitchen Aid/Hobart mixer or a food processor will eat up a large portion of your toy allotment.

Instead, use your money to purchase some of the less expensive tools. Doing this will give you lots of new goodies, which will give you "toy" satisfaction.

Use these tools and save your pennies for some of the more expensive items. You can cut your teeth on some of the lesser expensive things. If you discover you don't like or won't use often some of the things you have on your list, you won't have spent too much money.

Just a thought to save some of your money.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:42 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Thank you everyone for your input!! I appreciate all of it. I am very interested in the Kitchen Aid mixer. After searching DC, all I hear, aside from MAYBE two complaints and they were about attachment pieces, are great things. What is a good model? The most popular one out right now seems to be the Artisian 5 quart one. I've searched on Macy's, Amazon, JCPenney, Target...you name it. I find them to be about $300.00. Is this a reasonable price? I want this to be with me for the long run...any input is great!
Old 02-18-2007, 02:48 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
After some thought and Aunt Dot's comment, I have another suggestion about how you can spend your $500.

Such things as a Kitchen Aid/Hobart mixer or a food processor will eat up a large portion of your toy allotment.

Instead, use your money to purchase some of the less expensive tools. Doing this will give you lots of new goodies, which will give you "toy" satisfaction.

Use these tools and save your pennies for some of the more expensive items. You can cut your teeth on some of the lesser expensive things. If you discover you don't like or won't use often some of the things you have on your list, you won't have spent too much money.

Just a thought to save some of your money.
Are you reading my thoughts?!? That's kind of what I am looking for but I also would like to get the big things out of the way with this money. I am very far from being weathly but I make enough money to pay my bills and still have a paycheck to just kind of "play" with. I wouldn't mind using that money for my littler things. What are some less expensive tools that I should get? I appreciate your help...I know I should save some of this money as you suggest, but I never buy things for myself. I would like to think of myself for once instead of worrying about everyone else. (I hope that doesn't sound too self centered! )
Old 02-18-2007, 06:04 AM   #16
Cook

I have to echo the KA mixer--I got one for Christmas this year and it was like opening my first Easy Bake oven when I was a kid...what a rush :) I use it all the time, not sure what I did without it.

I also received a food processor and use that all the time as well. I know they are big expenditures, and I always said I'd save up for them too--but never did.

I have a 5 qt Artisan in beautiful RED--its like my mid-life Ferrari!
Old 02-18-2007, 06:18 AM   #17
Head Chef

Pyrex and metal mixing bowls. I have a metal mixing bowl in London that has saed many a day. I got a budt insert and found out having MADE the cake, that it did not fit any of my tins....out came the metal mixing bowl! Melting cocoalte over a saucepan of water....

I find I am missing my souffle dishes a lot here. A big soufle is a quick and easy, but gratifyingly impressive supper with salad, all year round.

I do not believe it is possible to own too many wooden spoions of different sizes and shapes.

A really bendy flexible spatula, and a firmer one (you don't say what types you already have)

A huge mixing bowl. A really huge ceramic one. Ours saves the benches from mess when DH is pizza making, it does me for dough of all sorts, and big or multiple batches of cake mix. It also gets used for soaking the ham at christmas.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:40 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Cuillo
Thank you everyone for your input!! I appreciate all of it. I am very interested in the Kitchen Aid mixer. After searching DC, all I hear, aside from MAYBE two complaints and they were about attachment pieces, are great things. What is a good model? The most popular one out right now seems to be the Artisian 5 quart one. I've searched on Macy's, Amazon, JCPenney, Target...you name it. I find them to be about $300.00. Is this a reasonable price? I want this to be with me for the long run...any input is great!
These are my opinions on kitchen tools. Amazon and its free shipping are a great money saver.
Shop on Amazon for many of your needs. A KA can be had for under $200 which will serve you MANY years.
A Silpat or exopat can be had for under $10--I have cooked for DECADES and never used one.
Again on Amazon, a microplane. However, more than a specialized microplane, you need a box grater for shredding, grating, etc.
A mandoline is a VERY specialized piece of equipment for slicing. For the most part, a good sharp knife will do the same thing with more versatility for use.
GOOD knives are probably the single most important kitchen tool. YOu don't need many--paring, chef's, and I love my santuko.
A good set of pans can be found on Amazon for under $150.
Heavy aluminum cookie sheets--$5/ at Costco.
Fine Cooking magazine did a review of food processors. While KA and Cuisinart came in first overall, the economy FP rated best was the Black and Decker at $40.
A cast iron frying pan is a nice thing to have. Shop flea markets for one that is already at least partially seasoned. It should be cheap--$10 or so. If it isn't it could be in the collector category (Favorite, Wagner, others)--look for another one.
Shop at Tuesday Morning, TJMaxx, SteinMart, Marshall's for kitchen equipment/gadgets.
Shop at attic sales for casserole dishes, etc.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #19
Cook

My food processor is also an economy model--I find I use the KA for bread and pasta making, and have the grinder attachment and ice cream maker attachment with it as well, so the food processor I use for really chopping things finely or slicing or whatever...but I do use it!

Old 02-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #20
Cook

What about spending a bit on food items you normally could not afford?

Foie Gras
Sushi grade seafood
Truffles or just truffle oil
Parmesan Reggianno
Game birds
Elk, Bison, Wild Boar
Saffron