If you had $500...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elcameron said:
What about spending a bit on food items you normally could not afford?

Foie Gras
Sushi grade seafood
Truffles or just truffle oil
Parmesan Reggianno
Game birds
Elk, Bison, Wild Boar
Saffron

I appreciate the input but I don't care for meats/sushi like that. The parmesan reggianno sounds wonderful...what is it and where can I find it?

If you're anywhere near a city, they have it in Fresh Market, or other finer grocers. If not an Italian market. But beware. You will never again enjoy shakable parmesan in the green tube.

Best of luck.

May I sing the praises of the stick/hand blender? Used it 3X today: two soups (potato leek and cream of cauliflower) and a morning smoothie. Sooooo easy to use! And less than 50 smackeroos!

Are the current Kitchen Aid mixers still made with the plastic gear box that melts/deforms (and ruins the machine) when the motor heats up? I'd heard that since Whirlpool took over the brand, that has been a problem. Are there any models that currently use a metal gear box, as the older mixers did?

K'Aid, as of early last year, was in time, supposed to have switched over to a metal gearbox in their Pro 500 and Pro 600 models.

Don't know for sure if they've done that yet. The model line under those, the outer metal body serves as the metal gear box, as in the case of my K45SS & K5SSHW.

The **** with cooking! If I had $500.00 I didn't know what to do with, I'd drive up to San Francisco for the week-end and eat all my meals out.

TexanFrench said:
Are the current Kitchen Aid mixers still made with the plastic gear box that melts/deforms (and ruins the machine) when the motor heats up? I'd heard that since Whirlpool took over the brand, that has been a problem. Are there any models that currently use a metal gear box, as the older mixers did?

Actually, the larger size mixers (above the Artisan model) are now made with metal gears which makes them incredibly noisy which has become a major complaint since they changed from the plastic.
The plastic gears are not a problem. They don't melt--they might strip if over taxed, but not melt.

I am a bit confused by your original post. I am assuming you have basic kitchenware so 500 is extra you want to put into the kitchen. Sounds like you are not much into cooking but are looking to experiment and perhaps develop a deeper fondness for it.

A KitchenAid Artisan mixer will set you back about 300 dollars. That is more than 50% of your total budget. You should ask yourself how many times you bake, grind your own meat, make fresh pasta. If you really want to get your hands dirty in it then perhaps you can justify spending that much.

I have a classic KitchenAid and I bought it after years of doing everything with a hand blender. I bake often (cookies, cakes, quick breads, desserts, souffles) and it serves me fine.

If I had your budget I would divide it into some appliances, some cookware & Bakeware and some pantry staples.

Appliances - Crockpot, Standmixer (not the high end KitchenAid but the begining line), Chopper, Blender and a Small Rice Cooker (it's not a necessity but is not a wasted appliance).

Cookware & Bakeware - Pyrex pans which work in the oven as well as stove top and microwave. I have old fashion Pyrex loaf pans and I love them. It may not be endorsed by top chefs but works well for home cooks. Heavy duty cookie sheets that others recommended. A nice set of pots (I like 3 qt and 6 qt sizes), A large 12 inch pan that can be used for almost anything. Calpholan makes one that is around 30 bucks and can go from stovetop to oven. A stove top grill pan and a set of fry pans (Tfal makes ones that are fairly cheap and work well).

Pantry Items - High quality whole spices, good quality dry and ground spices, assorted nuts that can come in handy when you undertake your cooking expeditions, high quality vanilla and other extracts. Baking chocolates,different types of sugars and a few basic sauces for Chinese and other cooking.

Back
Top Bottom